Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2002, 08:11 AM   #1
Donut
Jack Burton

Police helicopter circling over Central London I wonder what that's for. (Mmmmm, checks date).

Oh look it's May Day and 10,000 protesters are marching through London. Then 9,500 will go home and the rest will try to smash the place up!

Please post Mayday Mayhem stories from your own countries here. I'll keep you up to date on the London march when it all kicks off.

(Wonder if the IW Loony Left are there? )
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 05-01-2002, 08:23 AM   #2
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

Sorry, I'm sitting in front of my computer. I have work to do, not a lot but too much to spend the day being blockaded into Oxford Street. I feel kinda guilty as a lot of people have put effort into organising it and it isn't their fault that the police have an interesting take on the right to protest, but I can't spare the entire day. Aaargh... how much of a cop-out am I?
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Old 05-01-2002, 08:24 AM   #3
Epona
Zartan

One half of the Loony Left overslept Donut - I'll be heading down that way later though to have a look. Like you say, the vast majority of the people that go there are peaceful and want nothing more than to make their voice heard in whatever small way they can, and to have fun. It's only the 50 or so people out of the thousands that turn up that get any media coverage though and it gets a bit blown out of proportion
Old 05-01-2002, 09:08 AM   #4
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
One half of the Loony Left overslept Donut - I'll be heading down that way later though to have a look. Like you say, the vast majority of the people that go there are peaceful and want nothing more than to make their voice heard in whatever small way they can, and to have fun. It's only the 50 or so people out of the thousands that turn up that get any media coverage though and it gets a bit blown out of proportion
What?!? Neither of us are there? Oh dear. I think we might have slightly let the side down between us.
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Old 05-01-2002, 09:11 AM   #5
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry the Sprout:
What?!? Neither of us are there? Oh dear. I think we might have slightly let the side down between us.
I know Barry - we're all talk and no action, huh? I'm just off to self-flaggelate, I feel I deserve it.
Old 05-01-2002, 09:13 AM   #6
Donut
Jack Burton

LOL

You two are lunatics!
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 05-01-2002, 09:18 AM   #7
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
LOL

You two are lunatics!
I consider it all part of my rugged charm myself. And if we weren't lunatics we would just be the IW Left, and that wouldn't make any sense. "The IW Left what?" people would say. The IW Left Behind in my personal view. But anyway, back to bourgoise economics work...

[ 05-01-2002, 09:19 AM: Message edited by: Barry the Sprout ]
Old 05-01-2002, 11:01 AM   #8
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Is this a private conversation, an explanaition of the Loony Left Manifesto, or self flagellation appreciation night .

Back to the original topic, we had a quiet mayday in Perth this year. We had the obligatory protest march, ending once again at that centre of commercial power - the local stock exchange. The two main themes that seemed to abouund this year were "Welcome them with open arms - illegal immigrants are fun", and "Down with the US because Palestine isn't getting a fair go". Police thanked the protesters for their much improved behaviour, with the count of unrest, arrests, and damage to property being at last report, nil.
Old 05-01-2002, 11:50 AM   #9
khazadman
User suspended until [Feb13]

i'm all for rubber bullets and tear gas. then bring in italian police. [img]graemlins/2gunfire.gif[/img]
Old 05-01-2002, 12:51 PM   #10
Azred
Drow Priestess

hmmmm..... Here in the US, 1 May is just another day on the calendar. No special celebrations or activities of which I am aware, at least not in my area.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.