Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2001, 12:02 AM   #1
John D Harris
Ninja Storm Shadow

NASA wanted to find a writing implement that could be used in space.

It took 200 engineers and they spent over $2 billion to finally invent a space pen. This pen could write in zero gravity and the ink would still flow.

NASA proudly announced their success and congratulations flowed in from all over the world.

In a short note to the Americans, the Soviet engineers congratulated them, but said that they too had found a solution at a fraction of the cost.

They remarked, "We use a pencil."

------------------

"the memories of a man in his old age,
are deeds of a man in his prime"
Old 08-28-2001, 03:53 AM   #2
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Are you serious? Is this for real. Oh my goodness. I mean, if people weren't starving it would be totally hilarious. Man....

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 08-28-2001, 05:47 AM   #3
Link
Jack Burton

This is so stupid!!! A 2 billion dollar pen!! I don't know if you guys have seen the movie Independance Day?? The dad of David says:
" If you spend two thousand dollars on a hammer, and ten thousand on a toilet seat."
I think this example, just like the space pen, illustrates the American way: spending big, only to find out later on that there was a far cheaper (and better??) solution to be found..

No offense to all Americans on this forum, and i am NOT saying that Dutch are masters as well.

------------------
In the foul darkness one figure will emerge to save the world from evil and despair.... Light flashes as his sword comes down, and thunder rolls through the sky when he points his sword up to heaven to signal his victory....People whisper his name as he walks by, evil tries to hide as they sense his presence nearby.... His name? Link......
Old 08-28-2001, 08:46 AM   #4
Lifetime
Red Dragon

If you gotta do something, do it the American way
Spend tons of cash to make sure everyone knows about it, then defend your investment with self-depreciating humor..

------------------
Resident Lurker Guy
Old 08-28-2001, 09:09 AM   #5
Sharpedge
Zhentarim Guard

Yep, this is sadly very true indeed. I was just astounded when I first heard it...

------------------
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.

Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure."
Old 08-28-2001, 05:05 PM   #6
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

so, umm... could i send them a few pencils and pens and get a huge tax refund now? i mean, a relative $2B in taxes would be quite a refund...

------------------
It's simple. Once the Planet is hurt, it gathers Spirit Energy to heal the injury. The amount of energy gathered depends on the size of the injury...What would happen if there was an injury that threatened the very life of the Planet? Think how much energy would be gathered! Ha, ha, ha. And at the center of that injury, wil be me. All that boundless energy will be mine. By merging with the energy of the Planet, I will be come a new life form, a new existence. Melding with the Planet, I will cease to exist as I am now. Only to be reborn as a 'God' to rule over every living soul.

Super Sephiroth, slayer of the Uber Fluffy, and battle co-ordionator and defender of the HADB clan.
Old 08-28-2001, 08:39 PM   #7
John D Harris
Ninja Storm Shadow

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Are you serious? Is this for real. Oh my goodness. I mean, if people weren't starving it would be totally hilarious. Man....

Yes, Yorick it is true infact I received one for fathers day a couple of years ago, the pens can now be bought at stores. I won't tell you the price but it will water your eyes.

------------------

"the memories of a man in his old age,
are deeds of a man in his prime"
Old 08-29-2001, 07:21 AM   #8
Epona
Zartan

I must get one, I always have trouble writing during space travel
Using a pencil would just be too easy!

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Old 08-29-2001, 07:32 AM   #9
Rikard

I could make a space pen with about $50
all i need is a spring and a pen

------------------

OMG I have no Arms
Wait I don't have a body either

Old 08-29-2001, 10:26 AM   #10
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

Well, you gotta give it to the Russians: they use their head and think rationnaly

a 2 billion dollar pen that can write in space... that's almost just as good as that toilet in the US embassy of Australia that makes the coriolis force the same as in the Northern Hemisphere. ie: flushes counter-clockwise (see The Simpsons).

[This message has been edited by Ryanamur (edited 08-29-2001).]