Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2001, 09:08 AM   #1
toxygene
Elite Waterdeep Guard

hi all,

basically, i'm out of work for 2 weeks and need something to pass the time...so...why not buy a computer game? (Amsterdam is a little too expensive..)

I'm hoping someone here can give me their first-hand opinions on BG2 - so i can decide wether to spend my hard-earned cash on it!

ok, i've never really played computer-based RPG's before - excluding diablo1+2 -though when i was younger i was a DM in AD&D (heh...how odd that sounds now..)

I'm more used to playing 1st-person shooters like half-life, etc...but i tend to rip through those in a couple of days....i'm looking for something that'll last a bit longer....but at the same time i dont want something that i get terribly involved in...(for fear of verbal abuse from my girlfriend..!), and i dont want to spend hours figuring out the User Interface

so many questions...

oh look, its snowing...
thanks all
Old 03-20-2001, 09:14 AM   #2
Rikard

Hm BG2 is a great game
and something that is quite true on AD&D eventhough you get a bit on overkill

I never enjoyed a game as much as i did BG2

BTW are you dutch?

------------------

The Legend Master Necromancer
Prince Rikard T'Aranaxz of Natri'x
Clanmaster and Mental Father of the OHF
Ramanish of Neathan'Calith
High Priest and son of the Eternal Phoenix
Lord and General of the Army of the West

AND!!!
Laughing Hyena!!!

Old 03-20-2001, 09:20 AM   #3
Stiklestad
Dungeon Master

Yeah... The best game I ever played was BG2... It's perfect!
And it will grant you MONTHS of fun!
Old 03-20-2001, 09:23 AM   #4
toxygene
Elite Waterdeep Guard

nah, not dutch...english, unfortunately.... \ - i love amsterdam tho' - best city in europe!
Old 03-20-2001, 09:33 AM   #5
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

Now...you're on a BG2 forum...so, of course you should expect to have everyone tell you that it's the best game that was ever created.

With that said...here's my take...

If you want all around good RPG gaming, BG2 is the way to go. Personally I got bored with Diablo because it was just always more of the same. Find monster, kill monster, take loot, find more monsters...etc. BG2 requires you to think and solve lots of odd quests and puzzles. It is very "replayable" and is a little different every time you play it based upon your character's chosen field of study (Fighter, Mage, Cleric, etc.) and who you choose to include in your party.

Overall, money well spent...but you may become a bit addicted and forget to eat/sleep/work, etc.

However, if you are simply looking for a hack 'n slash dungeon crawl...go with Diablo or Icewind Dale which is also a good find monster, kill monster, take treasure game...so I am told.
Old 03-20-2001, 09:36 AM   #6
Frech
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hi ! well definitively, BG2 is THE game, as was BG in the past. But don't think 2 weeks will be enough, unless you play night and day...The main problem is that when you'll have to work again, you won't be able to stop playing, this game is a drug !!
in conclusion, if you want to buy a game, buy this one (but you won't have any family life anymore !)
Old 03-20-2001, 09:42 AM   #7
Charlie
Lord Ao

Err why is it unfortunate to be English? I'm very proud to be English personally. Amsterdam I agree on though.

P.S. Icewind Dale is along the same lines as BG2 but is quicker to play and more straightforward as regards quests, storyline etc. If time is a limitation I'd try that first. BG2 is bigger and better but requires a lot of time devoted to it.

[This message has been edited by Charlie (edited 03-20-2001).]
Old 03-20-2001, 09:55 AM   #8
Drake
Baaz Draconian

Hey I've beat the game four times and I'm just starting on game number five. So yes I think this game is worthe buying. I am also from a place were thing are expensive so I know how you have be picky at times.

------------------

Drake A.K.A. bocaj
Old 03-20-2001, 10:07 AM   #9
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake:
Hey I've beat the game four times and I'm just starting on game number five. So yes I think this game is worthe buying. I am also from a place were thing are expensive so I know how you have be picky at times.
So where are you from Drake? "DK"???

------------------
The only good giant is a dead giant!
---Throntar the Battlerager---
Old 03-20-2001, 10:08 AM   #10
The Xlord
Dungeon Master

BG is a very good game. But as the gey above says, you will not have enough time to manage BG. I would rahter purchased Icewind Dale, it don't take so much time to manage.
(And when you geys talk about citys, Oslo is the best town in the world, just to mention it)

------------------
Defender and master of Good archmagic
:mage1: