Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > NWN Mod: Escape from Undermountain
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 08:30 AM   #1
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Found this interesting.. if you have a load of magical bags, it could cause you lag:

--
magic bags = lag?
Shadguy is correct, a large number of Magic Bags can cause some level of lag, for a variety of reasons:

1) OnAcquire fires for item a creature possesses.

For creatures in the module it fires OnLoad, which means that module load times will grow with the number of creatures and the number if items given to creatures, which is quite logical.

For player characters OnLoad fires OnEnter of the module, so a large number of items in player inventory can cause significant lag, depending on your OnAquire script.
==

So roll up a new char and test this out. Is it true?

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 01:11 PM   #2
Legolas
Jack Burton

Yes, it's true.
More items means more cycling through them means more lag.
You can best see it in scripts that make copies of characters complete with their equipment. These copies take longer to spawn when there is a greater inventory attached.
Something similar happens with merchants, where it takes longer to load a larger store inventory.

It is not, however, one of the main contributors to server lag and I should also add that having magic bags does not cause the lag, having many items in your inventory does. The effect of the bag is mainly to enlarge your inventory so you can carry still more items with you.

[ 11-07-2005, 01:15 PM: Message edited by: Legolas ]
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 04:18 PM   #3
Mozenwrathe
Symbol of Cyric

Which means my days of rolling down the ave with thirty bags to collect stuff are numbered? Or would it be wiser to cycle through everything before I head down the wonderful Well of Unforgiving @r$eBeating and sell off whatever it is I won't be needing to hold onto for friends and other characters I come into contact with? As well, for a person who has only 1 GB of DDR RAM and an ATI Radeon 9550 graphics card (with 256MB cache), would it be wise for me to upgrade my machine somewhat in order for the Inn to run smoother?
There are no paths to power which are not fraught with confrontation. No matter the battle, a lesson must be won. In the end, the path shall fade into nothingness for the one walking it, but may go on for eternity for those whom choose to follow. One must know their own footsteps before taking that first step, or instead of choosing your battles, your battles will choose you.
Mozenwrathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 08:07 PM   #4
Legolas
Jack Burton

Not really. If you've been doing well enough with your bags so far there's little to worry about. Travelling light does improve performance somewhat, so in that respect it may be a good idea to get rid of excess items.

Don't expect an empty inventory to mean the inn doesn't lag though, because there other factors are at play.

Say NO to the Trouser Tyranny!
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 08:52 AM   #5
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Basically depends on how many unique items you got going. If there are lots of them in your mod and even if players don't have them, the very act of checking will lag a player on entry. This is why it is wise to space out your scripts so as not to clam everything into one module load, acquire or entry scripts.

As far as client ram and stats well, it is more a server issue than anything else and depends on how fast the server can deal with these 'calls'.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:11 PM   #6
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Cache the scripts and all is well. [img]smile.gif[/img]

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote