Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2004, 07:37 PM   #1
Peter Parker
User banned for failing to adhere to TOS

Arrow

ASSUREDLY SOA SPOILERS:

Well yeah, I can beat the game. By some stroke of luck I may figure out a way to remove physical protections, only to nervously send everyone (including my own spellcasters with slings *barf*) hurtling towards the enemy in hopes of quickly eliminating their threats. Watching the likes of Rataxes or Dundee almost effortlessly go through Tactics alone (for example, Dundee destroying a black dragon with his sorcerer in the duration of a timestop, with a project image, I just couldn't imagine doing this yet. . .). Now I use those two as examples, but I know the Ironworks folks are for the most part. . .better at this game than me. Help me become a good spellcaster/destroyer of spellcasters, whacking with Carsomyr or Magi staffs not included!
Peter Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 08:07 PM   #2
Tremor Break
Dungeon Master

wack with magi staff and Carsomyr [img]tongue.gif[/img] nar

breach is the spell that removes physical protections if i remember correct. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Tremor Break is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 08:31 PM   #3
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Pierce Magic, Breach, Ruby Ray of Reversal (not sure)secret word, Abi whatever horror (they cant cast if they'r dead!)Pierce Shield (lowers magic res to). These are but a couple, get Aerie or whoever to cast them and mages are TOAST!
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 08:58 PM   #4
Peter Parker

Hmm. You know, I probably just need more practice.
Old 09-10-2004, 10:21 PM   #5
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Hint: Include Keldorn and either Nalia or Imoen in your party. Keldorn will essentially nullify the enemy spellcasters for you, and having a good spellcaster on your side will teach you all about the spell system--on your terms, not the enemy's.

Better Hint: Read Spell Descriptions. All of them. Over and over. (Fun, huh?)
Old 09-10-2004, 10:59 PM   #6
JayS
Dungeon Master

I find this site useful for learning about all the spells in the game.
JayS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 12:18 AM   #7
Shadow015
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by SixOfSpades:
Yep, he's right. It takes a while. The advantage? Every protective spell you see used can be taken down by another spell.

Meet the Holy Square of spell-stripping!

Dispel Magic
Breach
True Sight
Ruby Ray of Reversal

These four combined and used in the right order can render any mage in the game completely defenseless.
Old 09-11-2004, 03:48 AM   #8
Moon-Child_Lman
Drow Warrior

Also if i`m not mistaken there is the Pierce Shield spell, no?
Old 09-11-2004, 05:00 AM   #9
Rataxes
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow015:
quote:
Originally posted by SixOfSpades:
Yep, he's right. It takes a while. The advantage? Every protective spell you see used can be taken down by another spell.

Meet the Holy Square of spell-stripping!

Dispel Magic
Breach
True Sight
Ruby Ray of Reversal

These four combined and used in the right order can render any mage in the game completely defenseless.
[/QUOTE]Not quite, the unholy combination of Imp Invisibility and SI:Abjuration/Divination, used by quite a few mages since the Smarter Mages component of Tactics, either requires a lvl 9 spell or a thief with Detect Illusions. Slap the combo on a Lich for an enhanced feeling of helplessness.
Old 09-11-2004, 07:58 PM   #10
Peter Parker

Alright, I have better questions/comments:

Dispel and Remove Magic:
I read that Inquisitors have a 99% chance to nullify buffs (at maximum casting level), while Blades have a 95% chance. Is this true? Does everyone else (save those paladins) have a 95% chance to nullify buffs?

These 2 spells can strip everything with a successful roll at higher levels? If so, extremely nice for a level 3 spell.

Breach on the other hand always removes physical protections unless the mage has cast spell shield or the proper immunity.

True Sight is quick illusion removal, imperative for Improved Invisibility so friendly mages can target.

Ruby Ray of Reversal I suppose is for the tougher protections: spell immunities, spell shields, and spell traps?

Lower Resistance (like a certain Helm cleric's oft-used Firestorm) goes through anything, and can disable spellcasting? Is there any other spells like these?

Ah, hopefully I am beginning to understand mages better. . .