Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2002, 04:03 PM   #1
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Well this topic seems to be really hot lately so lets try another line of thinking here, that is a bit more close to home supposedly fantasy creation or religious believes. Thats right, this has nothing to do with fantasy or religion. It is about yourself.

Can you prove your own existens or are you just a temporary imagination of my subconscious creations lately? Are you real or just a figment of someone elses illusion?

It is one thing to argue about for example Santa, Vampires and others and then to take the same line of thoughts to ponder whether you actually exist or if you and the line of thoughts you have is just part of an intricate dream- Cause if you stop to think about it. Isnīt it actually so that with the reasoning lately, YOU are a miracle, or maybe just a mirage? I think therefor I am, is a famous statment to prove yourself. But if I donīt believe in you, do you still exist?
And can it be plausable to say that for me you donīt exist, but you exist for your self? Since I donīt have any interaction with you at all, you donīt exist for me and vice versa. if I believe you exist, does it make a matter to me?

Well a couple of philosophical thoughts here. Donīt try the "I" and "me" here as me, Wolfgir, but ask yourself thoose questions instead..

Donīt eat the yellow snow
Old 06-20-2002, 04:07 PM   #2
Lord Shield

*wonders why a hallucination is asking if I exist*

Old 06-20-2002, 04:08 PM   #3
andrewas
Harper

An observed fact requires no proof.

Since your observing this post, something must have posted it. Therefore I must exist - but whether im human or a chat bot is something youll have to prove for yourself.
Old 06-20-2002, 04:08 PM   #4
Neb
Account deleted by Request

I cannot prove my existence to anyone other than me. However for myself it's simple: "I think, therefore I am."

Besides that, the world is as you percieve it. If you percieve it it exists, to you.
Old 06-20-2002, 04:10 PM   #5
Neb

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
An observed fact requires no proof.

Since your observing this post, something must have posted it. Therefore I must exist - but whether im human or a chat bot is something youll have to prove for yourself.
Oh, now that is WRONG. Just because you sense it does NOT mean that it exists. Your senses could be decieved by wires plugged into your brain feeding your sensory organs information about things that don't exist. Or telling you that things which exist, don't. So, wrong [img]tongue.gif[/img]

An observed fact cannot be proven. Nothing can. Except for your own existence from your own viewpoint, "I think, therefore I am."
Old 06-20-2002, 04:15 PM   #6
WOLFGIR

Ever dreamt that you were someone else??

Observed awareness can be a dream of another..

Old 06-20-2002, 04:18 PM   #7
Neb

Quote:
Originally posted by WOLFGIR:
Ever dreamt that you were someone else??

Observed awareness can be a dream of another..
Well, dreaming that you're someone else is impossible, kinda. Because while you're them in the dream, well.... The person that you are becomes you. You cannot be someone else because you are always who you are. Ummm.... I lack the words to describe it well, I hope you understand my ramblings [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-20-2002, 04:22 PM   #8
WOLFGIR

Hehe, I do Neb, but if you are who you become who is it that you left behind?

See, the more you try to answer it, the more intricate it becomes. You can say I am as proof, but does that make it so?

And as to quote Yorrick very very drastic with no more regards to other threads then just this line mind you!! "If I call myself a Russian". I cut it short, but we know Yorrick isnīt, but if he calls himslef that and say that you would believe him so. Is he a Russian for you or is he not? Is there a chance of truth being more then one aswer at the same time kinda answer??

Old 06-20-2002, 04:27 PM   #9
lroyo

Is this really worthwhile? I mean, as soon a people start throwing in "how do you know that you actually exist?" questions, that's when the discussion just gets ridiculous. It's normally a way for someone who is starting to feel insecure about their own beliefs, and is now clutching at straws. I'm not saying that that is what you are doing Wolfgir, because I think you're just raising it for fun.

If someone chooses to doubt their own existence, then perhaps their grip on reality is starting to fade. Or maybe they should stop sucking in the fumes! [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img]

Old 06-20-2002, 04:27 PM   #10
Moiraine
Anubis

And if I have a persona here on IW, very different from my RL persona, who am I for real ? [img]smile.gif[/img]