Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2001, 09:39 PM   #31
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Hey I had my old Atari 64 until a few years ago and gave it to my best friend's nephew. They played pac man and asteroids for the longest time. Now of course he's got Gameboys and Sega and who knows what all else!
Old 02-23-2001, 09:43 PM   #32
turbovee
Elminster

Speaking of gameboys - Does anyone still have the handheld Sega gameboard? what was it called?
Old 02-23-2001, 09:50 PM   #33
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Turbovee - yep. Still have it. I remember many hours of us playing on it hooked up to the TV going through blank dungeons until we finally ran into a 2 millimeter inch high symbol: "oooo, what is that, a dervish?!" Such excitement!! Let's make a move and five minutes from now we can see the outcome (e.g. the long hours of gameplay!) I also remember playing the first Maniac Mansion on it and thinking "what great graphics!" Times have definitely changed!
Old 02-23-2001, 09:57 PM   #34
turbovee
Elminster

that's an understatement! I remember buying an Atari 5200 and I thought that I was the hottest thing on the block. I thought it had the most awesome graphics. I look back and laugh at the comparison to today's graphics. I loved this one game I got for it. Spent a lot of money to get it at the time. I can't remember the name of the game, but it had some kangaroo boxing out monkeys to rescue her joey. Great game, I played it for months.
Old 02-23-2001, 10:19 PM   #35
Ladyzekke

Turbovee- Kangaroo rescuing her joey? Never heard of that one! Sorry, but for some reason that makes me laugh! What, did you have a lot of kick maneuvers or what? Heehee. Funny. Hey, I can go back even further than that. I remember when I was a teenager, about 5,000 years ago, we had a local skating rink. I went to it religiously for 7 years. They had a small arcade and I remember playing some really silly games there. They had one where you played with another person (dual joysticks, oh boy!) and your ships were on opposite sides of the screen and were basically just drawn triangles. The enemy were larger different sized triangles and other geometric shapes that slowly floated down in between you both, randomly firing at you. You had two buttons that turned your triangle, and the joystick was for movement with a button on top for firing. Then there was another one where you were a cowboy in the middle of the screen holding a gun shooting at aliens or whatever that randomly appeared in a vertical line on both sides of the screen. And then, of course, we can't forget centipede! I remember the skating rink had this cheap indoor/outdoor reddish-brown carpet, and when you shuffled your skates back and forth quickly, you could create a pretty good static electric shock. So we (small group of bored invididuals) would spin our wheels in front of a machine and then touch a quarter near the slot and the zap would actually turn the machine on as if you put a quarter in it. These are the lengths we went to even back then to play a game!!
Old 02-24-2001, 12:05 AM   #36
Lillie
Dungeon Master

Wow, *major* time warp when I saw Tobbin's pic from Dragon's Lair. Thanks

Stop playing video games? Never! My ex-mother-in-law was still playing Dr. Mario on Nintendo the last time I saw her - she was in her 60s then! We had fun competing against each other that way...ooooh she didn't like to lose
Old 02-24-2001, 12:19 AM   #37
Ladyzekke

Tobbin, I didn't remember that Gauntlet one until you showed the pic. Now I remember! Played that one too!

Lillie - I can't imagine playing any kind of video games with my mother-in-law! Especially a cranky one! LOL!!
Old 02-24-2001, 12:41 AM   #38
turbovee
Elminster

Did you ever use the old quarter on a string trick? That one kept me gaming for hours.
Old 02-24-2001, 12:57 AM   #39
Tobbin_OHF

I'd have to say that the video game that "hooked" me was the coin op game Dragon's Lair. I didn't care that we didn't have that many different moves. It was more a game of reflex and memorization than anything else, but the graphics totally rocked. I musta plunked in at least a thousand dollars (well, it seemed that much anyways - LOL) before I finally rescued the fair damsel Daphne from the evil clutches of the dragon. I still like playing the game even today. I bought a copy of it for the PC. Plays pretty decent. I heard they are putting it on the PlayStation 2 so I will have to get it then.

Old 02-24-2001, 01:13 AM   #40
turbovee
Elminster

Tobbin - remember "The Gauntlet" 4 people going through random dungeons hacking and slashing

"Warrior needs food badly"