Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2003, 09:37 AM   #1
Donut
Jack Burton

I prefer our game!!

Dozens take part in cricket-spitting contest

A cricket-spitting contest has taken place in New Jersey.

Several dozen people puckered up for the competition at Rutgers University, New Brunswick.

It was part of the 56th annual educational clinic of the New Jersey Pest Management Association.

Tom Turpin, an entomology professor from Purdue University in Indiana, says he and colleagues were looking for additions to their annual Bug Bowl.

Mr Turpin says he first suggested the brown house cricket because it is similar in size to a watermelon pit and holds its shape through freezing and thawing.

"Because it's frozen, it makes it easier," said Heather McNenny of Wildwood-based Paul's Pest Control, who took part in the contest. "They're not all squirmy."

Cricket spitting has helped the Bug Bowl's annual attendance grow to 35,000. Turpin hosts contests across the Midwest and has worked as a consultant to the television show "Fear Factor."

The rules are simple: Competitors stand in a red circle, place thawed crickets inside their mouths and, within 20 seconds, spit them as far as possible without stepping outside the circle.

The official Guinness world record is 30 feet, 1.2 inches. The unofficial record from the Purdue Bug Bowl is 37 feet, 9.75 inches.

The first New Jersey title went to Chris O'Donovan of Cooper Pest Control in Lawrenceville, who spit his cricket 28 feet, 5.75 inches (855 centimetres). He won a smiling metal cricket with a clicker hidden beneath.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 08-26-2003, 09:58 AM   #2
Davros
Takhisis Follower

I must admit I was dumbfounded last week to learn that Donut's boys had won a test against the Saffies. Fortnately the natural order of things has been swiftly restored .
Old 08-26-2003, 10:21 AM   #3
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

EEEEWWWWWWWWWWW! YUK! GROSS! BLECH EEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWW!

and a hearty...ick! LOL Where do you find these things? Wait! NO! Don't tell me, I like being blissfully ignorant on the origins of insect articles! LOL

Too funny, Donut! [img]smile.gif[/img] I'm thinking even I prefer your sport to this one!