Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2002, 12:29 PM   #1
admiralkhan
Elite Waterdeep Guard

How do you guys keep track of quests that you haven't completed. After joining nearly every guild and Redoran, I tend to hold off on quests that require travelling until I have a couple in the same town/area. Unfortunately, the journal gets a *bit* cumbersome to keep track of them. I know you can look under topics for "Orders" and "Duties", but those get long also.

I'm almost ready to go back to the old paper & pencil stint (and blissfully remember using graph paper to map Wizardry dungeons)...

Anyone create an electronic log they are willing to share?

Admiral Khan
Old 08-23-2002, 12:50 PM   #2
MaskedFrog
Drow Warrior

The journal definitely needs alot of help. First, it does not always copy all the important information about a job into the journal. Many times it leaves off the directions given to you by the NPCs. Second, it is organized very badly. It could really use a system where all the open and active quests are listed together. I have to start writing down all the quests I was not going to immediately finish. I seem to remember some saying they had an electronic journal but unfortunately I do not remember where to find it.

Good Luck.
MaskedFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 12:59 PM   #3
CDB
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Yes, I have wished for a long time that I could sort out my completed quests seperatly from my open quests. Does anyone remember the game Ultima Underworld? They had a "journal" so to speak where you could write your own comments on a map. That would be cool too.
Old 08-23-2002, 01:02 PM   #4
Throg
Dungeon Master

I'm just starting to have this problem. What I'm trying is keeping a word processing program open in the background. When I accept a new task, I task-switch out and enter the quest, the quest giver, the location of the quest giver, and the location of the quest (if known). Since my word processor has a Find funtion, I've been able to find what I'm looking for fairly quickly. At least so far. I have a new fast computer, running Windows XP, and haven't noticed and problems with speed degredation or Alt-Tab.

P. S. I still have my graphs from Proving Ground of the Mad Overlord.
Old 08-23-2002, 05:00 PM   #5
Absynthe

Quote:
Originally posted by Throg:
I'm just starting to have this problem. What I'm trying is keeping a word processing program open in the background. When I accept a new task, I task-switch out and enter the quest, the quest giver, the location of the quest giver, and the location of the quest (if known). Since my word processor has a Find funtion, I've been able to find what I'm looking for fairly quickly. At least so far. I have a new fast computer, running Windows XP, and haven't noticed and problems with speed degredation or Alt-Tab.

P. S. I still have my graphs from Proving Ground of the Mad Overlord.
There's a slew of downloadable mods at Morrowind Summit, http://www.rpgplanet.com/morrowind/ and I'm pretty sure that there are a couple of utilities specific to keeping track of quests / modifying the journal.
I, too have all my original maps from the first five Wizardry games! I really miss some aspects of the old dungeon-crawls...
Old 08-24-2002, 12:43 AM   #6
Thamrys Greybeard
Dungeon Master

I too keep a word document in the background - time consuming, but the only way. Another thing I did was get a list of the quests from the web into my document, and as I complete them, I erase them or cross them out - not very good, as it gives you a list of tasks yet to come, and this of course takes a bit out of the game...
Thamrys Greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2002, 12:47 AM   #7
canadianvixen
Baaz Draconian

I just use pen and paper. I have a little note book with one section for each guild. I just cross them off when they're completed. Simple but more effective than the journal.