Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2003, 08:56 AM   #1
Pyrenk
Symbol of Cyric

Either that, or I do quests before I'm supposed to.

IIRC, I'm level 13 in Firkraag's dungeon (rescuing Garren's child). My current equipment:

Weapons/Shields: Azure Edge, Frost Reaver, and Adjatha the Drinker with the Shield of Harmony (Reflection Shield for archers-I have 60k gp, so I can buy the Shield of Baldarun when needed)-I generally use Frost Reaver and the Shield of Harmony, but mages, clerics, and undead get Azure Edge. Adjatha is just there to take up a slot [img]smile.gif[/img]
Cloak: Cloak of the Sewers
Belt: Belt of Inertial Barrier
Rings: Ring of Protection +2, Ring of Earth Control (for the +1 AC)
Boots: Boots of Speed
Helmet: Helm of Balduran
Amulet: Amulet of Power
Armor: Full Plate (so that I can use the ROP+2 with it)
Bracers: Gauntlets of Weapon Expertise (the gauntlets from the Astral Prison). I am going to use the Paladin's Bracers (from W.K.) when I save Garren's child.

My AC is either -11 or -12.

For summons I use the Efreeti Bottle from Trademeet and the Staff of Air (lesser Air elemental ). I've just reached the room with the Dragon slaying (?) sword/shield, which, when taken, cause Samia and her gang to teleport in. I think that I'm at a low level for them, as they killed me in under a minute For buffs, I use (given in order of use):

1. Bless on all three of us, and I make the Efreeti Ghost Armor himself at the same time
2. DUHM on myself
3. Barkskin on the elemental

1-Is that order normal?
2-Is my equipment good, or is there something that I can upgrade?

-Sorry about the mess.

-Without Dundee, I wouldn't have known how viable Frost Reaver was, or have the Efreeti [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-11-2003, 09:28 AM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Light Bulb

*blink* *blink*

I did not do Windspear Hills until my Cavalier was level 20+.

Have you completed Tradesmeet yet? Done the mini-quests in Umar Hills? The Cult of the Unseeing Eye? Foiled the kidnappers? Completed the Slavers' Ship? De'Arnise Keep? Settle the Mae'Var issue? Helped Xzar? Done the Fallen Paladins? Etc... ...

Heck, killing Liches is easier than killing Dragons at your level. Azuredge and all that.

ADD] Oh yeah, where is Lilarcor? That sword was like my Cavalier's companion for almost half of the SoA game.

[ 08-11-2003, 09:55 AM: Message edited by: Dundee Slaytern ]
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 09:34 AM   #3
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Having Azuredge, you might as well get Daystar while you're at it, making quests like Umar and the Unseeying Eye a lot easier.
Gangrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 12:55 PM   #4
Faceman
Hathor

The best tactic against a strong party like Samia's is to seperate them (i.e. run away a great deal and close some doors on your retreat to lock some of your pursuers in).
Alas this is definitely not a tactic for the Cavalier who does not (think he) need(s) deceitful tactics to succeed but crushes the forced of evil in direct assault. If I was soloing a rogue or something similar (Bard, Stalker, ...) I'd try that one.
Old 08-11-2003, 05:59 PM   #5
Pyrenk
Symbol of Cyric

Completed quests:
1. Circus
2. Full Copper Coronet (including Lilalcor)
3. The 3 Trademeet quests (main: Dao, Druids, Mantle)
4. The first 2 Shadow Thief quests (from Aran)
5. The 2 Haer'Dalis quests
6. D'Arnise Keep
7. Gave Renfeld (?) to the Harpers, but refused to help Xzar
8. Gave acorns to the Dryad

I am now in Firkraag's dungeon, and have cleared everything other than the Adamantine Golem, Samia, and the mage who appears when you rescue Garren's child (which I have not done).

Things to keep in mind:
1. My proficiencies-** in Axe, Long Sword, and Sword & Shield, * in Bastard Sword and Two Handed Sword. This is the reason that I am not using Lilalcor...that, and I love axes. Lily's protections are given to me by the Shield of Harmony, and as Frost Reaver is a +3 axe with elemental damage, I find it more useful (cuts through stoneskin).
2. I do not intend to kill Firkraag until I recieve the order to do so from the Order. I am just attempting to rescue Garren's daughter, and defeat the mage (which I don't think that I can do). After this, I will do the first few Order quests, some more assorted quests if I am not at level 20, and at that level I will kill Firkraag.

3. I have just purchased my own copy of BGI (I used a friend's copy for my imported characters), and am going to play through it as a Bard, to change into a Blade in SoA, whom I will solo. I don't like Paladins...too righteous for me...however, Bards are great. Poetry, music, style...heaven
Old 08-12-2003, 12:31 AM   #6
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

One thing to remember with Lilarcor is that, with 2-handed weapon style, you can score double, very large critical hits. I find that with my solo cavalier (who is not using the SoH so much as that of Reflection), I frequently chunk up opponents with criticals, doing a lot of damage. I also don't find I have too much of a problem, defense-wise, even though I am playing on Hard (haven't tried Insane with a solo melee-typer yet.)
Old 08-12-2003, 10:53 AM   #7
Pyrenk
Symbol of Cyric

Bah, I'm starting over as a Paladin (BGI). I want to use Ashideena's Warhammer, the Shield of the Fallen Stars, the Helm of Glory, and the Plate+3. Ask Six. Golden Knight > Silver Knight