Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2002, 07:27 AM   #81
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
Eh? Where do you get the idea that we pine over the loss of the Empire? No-one here gives a flying f*ck about it! Your post is actually quite funny, what must you think we are like, eh? Don't watch any more episodes of 'It Ain't Half Hot Mum', OK? Woodshed, now. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
That's what I said Epona - but not as colourfully. But I think I understand his confusion. He is talking about the demise of 'The Brittas Empire'. Now that was a funny programme!

[ 08-22-2002, 07:29 AM: Message edited by: Donut ]
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 08-22-2002, 07:38 AM   #82
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I realize this thread was probably intended to be taken lightly and so I shouldn't get all miffy about the whole thing. But jeeze. What's with the universal need to put people down on account of nationality recently? Gross generalizations and hypocritical nonsense are abounding on the forum these days it seems.
"Evil America" this.
"Boring Britain" that.
None of it is wholly true and it just makes people angry at one another.
I dunno. I guess what I'm trying to say is that wherever you go, in any particular area of the world with any particular culture and social group you are going to find the selfish and the selfless. It's a human thing, not geographical. Sorry if I've bored most of you to tears with this disgustingly self-righteous drivel, but it's just my two cents is all.
Old 08-22-2002, 07:44 AM   #83
the new JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
quote:
Originally posted by the new JR Jansen:

Oh and i would like for British people to get their heads out from under the sand and understand that the times of the British empire are over (sad, really sad)
Not sure of the last time you visited JR but any Brit on this board can tell you that we never give any thought to the days of the empire, it's never mentioned. It's long gone and the vast majority of us are delighted that it has. Who have you been speaking to? Or what have you been watching?

BTW - it's spelt Britain NOT Britan!
[/QUOTE]I apologize to you and Epona, but you looked at it the wrong way. It seemed to me that this thread was started as somewhat of a joke thread towards the USA thread. So my comments shouldn't be taken as serious. I should have put a j/k or something in that post, so sorry for that.

However, i was serious about the Monthy python and spice girls.

[ 08-22-2002, 07:46 AM: Message edited by: the new JR Jansen ]
Old 08-22-2002, 07:44 AM   #84
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hierophant:
"Boring Britain" that.
Who called us boring? Give me a name and I'll have him/her! New Zealand is a boring place! Where men are men and sheep get nervous!

Only kidding!
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 08-22-2002, 07:52 AM   #85
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
quote:
Originally posted by The Hierophant:
"Boring Britain" that.
Who called us boring? Give me a name and I'll have him/her! New Zealand is a boring place! Where men are men and sheep get nervous!

Only kidding!
[/QUOTE]Heh heh [img]smile.gif[/img]
No one openly called Britain 'boring' (and it isn't, I'll be heading there next March Btw, looking foward to it). I just said 'Boring Britain' for the verbal effect. Hmmm, what's it called when the words have the same opening sound? Eg- 'Taffer's Tasty Toffies' (that's made up). I can't remember, damn.
Old 08-22-2002, 07:53 AM   #86
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Had a cold...... HAD A COLD??????

Come now Nigel - let's get back in touch with reality here - a cold involves sniffling and moaning and hankies and runny noses and puffy eyes and red faces and morning headaches and looking really really horrid in the mornings - oh, wait a minute, it's coming to me now - you must have had a COLD - ah, I see, please oh please forgive my former lack of understanding
Old 08-22-2002, 09:19 AM   #87
Absynthe

Quote:
Originally posted by Davros:

Come now Nigel - let's get back in touch with reality here - a cold involves sniffling and moaning and hankies and runny noses and puffy eyes and red faces and morning headaches and looking really really horrid in the mornings - oh, wait a minute, it's coming to me now - you must have had a COLD - ah, I see, please oh please forgive my former lack of understanding
Someone call an ambulance, Nigel is all cut up...

Old 08-22-2002, 09:21 AM   #88
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Davros:

You git [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-22-2002, 09:37 AM   #89
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
You git [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Huh - wha????
Old 08-22-2002, 09:41 AM   #90
Absynthe

Most of my countrymen, taken on a one-to-one basis, are decent friendly people who would invite you into their homes and treat you like a family member. This is true of every country the world over, where people are just people. Regionalism and nationalism are present in every society, and governments are for the most part composed of people who like to be at the front of the parade telling everyone else how to march, and what tune they'll march to.
Unfortunately, the governments and their actions are what give a country it's reputation.