Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should someone accused of rape be named before a trial verdict has been issued?
YES 11 68.75%
NO 5 31.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-05-2003, 06:03 AM   #1
Skunk
Banned User

US readers are probably aware of the (ongoing) trial of Kobe Bryant (US sportsman) for rape.

The question is, should his name have been released prior to a verdict being given? In a society where the 'accusation' of rape carries a heavy stigma, the damage to the reputation of the accused is heavy - most men who are cleared of wrongdoing report that they *still* suffer negative reactions from former friends and colleagues.

In the case of Kobe Bryant, one of his sponsers has already stated that:
"Ferrero U.S.A.'s contract with Kobe Bryant expires in January 2004," the company said in a statement. "Marketing plans established earlier this year did not contemplate a contract renewal. In keeping with this decision, and considering the recent developments, Kobe's image on Nutella labels and promotional material is being phased out."
Which means that, win or lose the rape case, Bryant will pay the cost of the accusation anyway.
http://abcnews.go.com/sections/us/Sp...boy030804.html

Q: Should someone who has accused of but not yet been found guilty of rape be named? And what about the accuser? Should he/she be named too? (Current practice is not to name the alleged 'victim')
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 08:46 AM   #2
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

If one is named then both should be named. Watch the tomatoes! Ouch! Don't throw so hard!!! Ouch! I watched a movie this weekend called The Life of David Gale. It was about a College Professor that was on Death Row for the Rape and Murder of an Associate (Good movie BTW). At the beginning of the movie he is accused of raping a grad student (She was getting him back for having her thrown out of school). The charges were dropped, but he ended up losing his job and his family. Again, I know its a movie, but you almost have to wonder how often it happens. It's such a hard question though, I'm very divided on the whole issue.
Old 08-05-2003, 08:50 AM   #3
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
If Kobe's a suspect, the word should get out. Same goes for the accusing party. If in the end Kobe appears to be innocent, Nutella owns him an apology. For now they have every right to do whatever they think is best for their product.
Old 08-05-2003, 08:54 AM   #4
Skunk
Banned User

Probably more frequently than you realise. More recently in the UK news there have been a couple of high-profile cases:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3115405.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2988208.stm

and if it really is true that:
a "report from the U.S. Dept. of Justice... {indicates] that retrospective DNA testing in the USA has shown that 1/3 of men who have been through the entire justice system of arrest, trial and incarceration are innocent."
http://www.ukmm.org.uk/camp/rapealleg.htm

Then the number of innocent men whose lives and careers have been damaged as a result of false allegations and mis-handled investigations is staggering!

[ 08-05-2003, 09:12 AM: Message edited by: Skunk ]
Old 08-05-2003, 09:50 AM   #5
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

I believe both should be named or neither.

Have you heard Nutella's slogan? "Kobe's favorite 'spread'"
Old 08-05-2003, 10:04 AM   #6
Skunk
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:
I believe both should be named or neither.

Have you heard Nutella's slogan? "Kobe's favorite 'spread'"
[img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img] I think that you've just demonstrated why Nutella have decided to drop Kobe!
Old 08-05-2003, 04:12 PM   #7
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Name 'em both. If the DA can get his 15 minutes for prosecuting Kobe, she can have her past turned inside out. Since it's not "relevant" admissible evidence in court, I'd like to have some news shows turning her past inside out just to see what kind of little golddigging slut she is.
Old 08-05-2003, 04:17 PM   #8
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

Now TL!!! Down Boy or the Tomatoes will come your way! But I do understand what you are saying. We have an interesting case here in Tennessee where the Prosecutor has charged a woman with six counts of murder after she ran over and killed two police officers who were trying to stop her with those spike thingys. Now math wasn't my strong suet in school, but I know that 2 does NOT EQUAL 6. Sometimes the Prosecutors in this country have too much power. I also think they tend to play dirty pool by trying the case in the press like they are doing with Kobe. Of course, it may be the Prosecutor's best chance in this case, cause I sure Kobe has another OJ team!

[ 08-05-2003, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: Sir Taliesin ]
Old 08-06-2003, 07:43 PM   #9
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
I just saw a press conference, where Kobe acted like he was about to cry, and said things about how much he loves his wife, and how special she is to him.

YEAH RIGHT KOBE

Why don't you just admit that you're a player ? If your wife was that special you wouldn't be playing hide the salami with some bimbo in a hotelroom. But some members of the jury will probably fall for this little act. To me it didn't look convincing at all, a very pathetic act. Guilty or not, he would have been better off by not talking to the press at all. This just made me laugh my ass off.
Old 08-06-2003, 08:21 PM   #10
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

Tough question. I would say name neither. I personally think the trial section of Western justice systems has gotten WAY too public. Quite honestly, things like this can spell disaster for a person even if they are exonerated (people will crucify an accused pedophile during a trial, for example.) I would say, if it is a matter of public safety, tell us the name of the convicted after the trial. Otherwise, why should something like an arrest (read not conviction) be broadcast to everyone important to the person.

I am personally totally against revealing the name of the victim. We have enough trouble with rape victims, beaten wives, etc. coming forward. The defence should be able to rip her apart on the stand, and quite honestly, put her entire life at trial if they so desire, but not in public.

Again, we don't need to know about a trial, so why put anyone involved all over the news? They're innocent till proven guilty, remember...