Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2005, 12:15 PM   #11
Q'alooaith
Emerald Dragon

Let this be a lesson, never trust anyone.

Persoanly I make a process list and kill anything that show's up that's not on my list.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:39 PM   #12
philip
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Q'alooaith:
Let this be a lesson, never trust anyone.

Persoanly I make a process list and kill anything that show's up that's not on my list.
I wouldn't do it that harsh. Your friends don't want to send you the virus. The worm sends itself. In most cases I wouldn't say people intent to do this but they could watch their security a bit more. As well as you, ask what they sent you always and don't accept anything blindly even if it comes from a friend.
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 04:20 PM   #13
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by shamrock_uk:
Firstly, do you have a firewall installed? If not, then get one - I would recommend Kerio, but Zone Alarm is also supposed to be excellent. That will let you know if suspicious traffic is being sent and also monitor whether processes are doing suspicious things like starting other programmes without you asking.
From my experience, Zone Alarm seems to be unable to block bad things from coming into your computer. Like Trojan Virus etc. I've found one in those of my computers some time ago. However, it seems to do a good job of preventing things from coming out of your computer.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 04:23 PM   #14
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Grab a copy of HiJack This and run it. That will identify any things that are hiding in strange places. Also, go to Trendmicro and do an online scan. The virus can't stop that from starting...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 05:30 PM   #15
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

hey,

The newer versions of NAV can't be killed like that so Im guessing you have maybe NAV (or NIS) 2003 or earlier.

Here is what you can try and do.

1. Run your liveupdate to get the latest definations (click start>run, type in LUALL)

2. reboot your PC into SAFE mode

3. Open nav and run a virus scan.

If that fails use this removal tool (I'm pretty sure this is the one that is causing trouble for you)

Once it is gone reboot and try opening NAV in normal mode. if that fails Uninstall & reinstall.

Your Subscription should come back when you reinstall. if you have NAV 2003 or earlier then I would recommend that when you next come up for a renewal of your subscription that you maybe upgrade to a 2005 version (you can upgrade for a reduced price and they will ship it out to you) DO NOT get the download version get the disk as the download version is more trouble than its worth.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:55 PM   #16
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

I have NAV 2004 right now, but that seems like a good idea, updating it to 2005.

As for W32.Bropia, I'm running the removal tool, though it SEEMS like AVG got rid of it. I also uninstalled MSN Messenger v 7.0 and am now using (ICK!) Windows Messenger...but it hasn't sent anything to my friends today...so I may be in the clear. Hard to say with a laptop that has at least 230000 files on it.

Thanks!

Is that what you really want to say?
Ilander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 05:58 PM   #17
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Quote:
Originally posted by Kakero:
From my experience, Zone Alarm seems to be unable to block bad things from coming into your computer. Like Trojan Virus etc. I've found one in those of my computers some time ago. However, it seems to do a good job of preventing things from coming out of your computer.
Quite right. Where I find a firewall useful is firstly in terms of stopping the virus from doing its work - I managed to run this particular MSN worm (wasn't really looking at the screen) and had just uninstalled my virus checker, yet Kerio caught it before it reached the second stage of propogation. I stopped it when prompted and was easily able to clean it.

A firewall is also great for catching a trojan/worm you're not aware of when it tries to connect outwards, and Kerio can catch programmes not on your whitelist when they run on startup.

Altogether a rather useful tool.

Do let us know how the situation goes Ilander...

[ 02-03-2005, 05:59 PM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 06:00 PM   #18
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Yeah the removal tools do take ages to run because they scan EVERYTHING.

If you are running windows XP you may also want to turn off you System restore, delete the prevoisu restore points and then create a new one so the virus doesn't get backed up to your system restore at any point.

2004 should have been affected by that virus and it shouldn't have been shut down. Very strange.