Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2003, 06:28 AM   #1
Karibu
Elite Waterdeep Guard

If I have understood it correctly, +1 enhancement adds +1 to weapon damage (ie. if your sword makes 1d6 damage, your +1 sword makes 1d6 + 1 damage). For example, my wizard has normal heavy crossbow (1d10 damage) and I found +2 enhanced medium crossbow which makes 1d8 + 2 damage. I see that this is little better damage in average compared to normal heavy crossbow. But not in very considerable way, I presume. Therefore I really wonder why enhanced weapons cost so much. Better to use normal weapon and go for potions.

Manual say that enhacement gives bonus to both attack and damage, so does it mean enhanced weapon also hits better? I am not familiar with 3rd edition rules (or D&D rules at all), but I am getting some grab of it by now. Also, I would like to know how far weapons can be enchanced (+10...+20 perhaps)? How about cloacks and armor? They do not actually 'hit' enemy. Examples would be nice.

I have read these forums and found very interesting jewels of knowledge of many things, but this thing is not totally clear for me yet. And call me honestly Woodeye if this is explained in detail in manual or in a thread I haven't obviously looked at. It might as well passed my eye, but I don't think so. Thanks for all answers

[edit] corrected a sentence

[ 02-18-2003, 07:04 AM: Message edited by: Karibu ]
Old 02-18-2003, 06:37 AM   #2
Legolas
Jack Burton

The best enchantment is +5, although there may be ways to increase it even further. The same goes for cloaks and armour (especially armour).

Other than special abilities some weapons may have, there are 3 reasons you'd want to pick an enchanted weapon over a normal one.
First is the extra chance to hit. If you'd need a roll of 14 or higher to hit an opponent with a regular sword, you'd only need 13 or higher with a +1 enchanted one.
Second is the damage. Extra damage is always a bonus. In the case of the two crossbows, the lighter one is definately better as not only does it do more damage on average, it also fires more rapidly than the other, weighs less, and so on.
Third, not all creatures are vulnerable to hits from unenchanted weapons. You may need a +1 or +3 weapon to hit a specific foe, just like you may need a blunt or slashing weapon in certain cases where piercing doesn't work.

Like I said, many enchanted weapons also have special abilities unenchanted ones, by definition, don't have. You also need enchanted weapons if you want a smith to make a special version...
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 03:12 AM   #3
Lucifer Lord of demons
Manshoon

ACtually it can go to 100000+ in the mod creator. You just have to add the +5 bonus 200+ times.

Thankfully the lastest version (or the one befor it?) stops this by not allowing you to chose the requiered lvl. Heh. I've seen mods that were broken by this. Half their items needed a lvl of 40+
When someone insults you, do not kill them there and then. It is a bad thing to do. Instead plot revenge, destroy his life, ruin him and in the end leave him to think about his fate. He\'ll understand the errors of his actions. <br /><br />\"Thaaat dooesn\'t huuuuurt!!!\"<br />(Victim of a dark elf assasin before losing his head)
Lucifer Lord of demons is offline   Reply With Quote