Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2004, 04:50 PM   #1
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

There is one thing far better in IWD then in BG II. In IWD you get more XP with higher difficulty level. I would like to see that in BG II. I know that there are mods wich add new battles and therefore give more XP but still it isn`t as good as in IWD.
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 04:54 PM   #2
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Xen:
There is one thing far better in IWD then in BG II. In IWD you get more XP with higher difficulty level. I would like to see that in BG II. I know that there are mods wich add new battles and therefore give more XP but still it isn`t as good as in IWD.
Just why does BG2 need to dish out even more XP? It gives out more than enough, and IWD has its numbers out of proportion (look at weapon prices if you dunno what I'm talking about).

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 05:01 PM   #3
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion
I agree. That feature of IWD makes sense and is more realistic. However, I'm not sure if it would be a good idea in BGII: They dish out experience like it's as worthless as mud! They might as well hang signs pointing to 'free experience stalls'. Imagine how quickly you would level up (especially solo) and become overpowered... Still, great idea Xen! It would be nice if you had the option of playing which way you wanted - any modders willing? Speaking of converting IWD elements into BGII elements: what would you think if one of the many abandoned houses got converted into a mercenary sales hut? It would cost you a certain amount of money but you can create an entirely new person from scratch to add to your party, like IWD. Of course, there wouldn't be any banters and it might get kind of complicated having to switch to the character creation screen (which might confuse the engine).
Jaradu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 05:08 PM   #4
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

I know that BG is more quest oriented and not a click fest and it is also correct that you get a lot of XP with all the mods but now spending some time thinkhing I doubt if it is actually worth playing on Insane. Monsters do double damage but you still get the same amount of XP.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:11 PM   #5
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion
That is true [img]smile.gif[/img] ... kinda makes you feel ripped off, doesn't it [img]tongue.gif[/img] ?
Old 04-26-2004, 05:18 PM   #6
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Do you think Icewind Gate will incorporate the IWD experience system? It does seem likely, so you may get your wish [img]smile.gif[/img]
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 05:22 PM   #7
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Not really "ripped off", just plain weird. It`s like getting an arrow through the neck and discovering there's a gas bill tied to it.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:29 PM   #8
mad=dog

Quote:
Not really "ripped off", just plain weird. It`s like getting an arrow through the neck and discovering there's a gas bill tied to it.
OT: Funny. From Captain Blackadder if I am not mistaken. I have never played IWD, but I bought a resale IWD2 when I picked up ToB. Is it good?
Old 04-26-2004, 05:33 PM   #9
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Quote:
Originally posted by mad=dog:
quote:
OT: Funny. From Captain Blackadder if I am not mistaken. I have never played IWD, but I bought a resale IWD2 when I picked up ToB. Is it good? [/QUOTE]Yes the quote is from captain Edmund Blackadder. (Very good show IMO)
IWD II is very much like IWD 1. Lots of hack and slash. But it has 3ed AD&D rules wich can lead to some great character cominations. But I still prefer BG II a lot more.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:35 PM   #10
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion
It depends how you likr to play RPGs. Since you create all the party yourself, there is no banter as opposed to Baldur's Gate I + II. However, the combat is focused upon and is very good. And IMO, the graphics in IWD are better. Not the sprites, the rendered backgrounds. Oh and the music! The music in IWD is the best EVER!!! Kuldahar has this amazingly peaceful music which makes you imagine elves and druids in the forest, being one with nature and balance and stuff. It starts to make my heart ache from wanting to be an adventurer . So it depends really - are you a roleplayer or a powergamer? Of course, it's best to get a bit of both worlds.