Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2003, 12:44 PM   #1
Granamere
Zhentarim Guard

My main home computer ate itself eariler this week. I am waiting for my tax money to come back which should happen before the end of the month hopefully next week.

My question is if you were building a new system to play NWN would you go with the ATI video card or GeForce? Also which one is the best bang for the buck?

I have not owned an ATI in sometime but several people I know say it is much better than the GeForce chipset. My big problem with going with it is the fact NWN does not seem to really like it. Also if I do go with the ATI does the 1.28 patch fix all of the video issues or do I need another special patch? I know you have to update to the newest video drivers and all.

I am really just looking at this from the NWN point of view of the video card because that will be that main game I will be playing on it and I do not really want to have to fight my video card to get NWN to play with all the cool video effects.

Thanks,

Granamere

I should mention I have been running it with the GeForce 3 video card and have been very happy with it. Yes I know I could put that card in the new system long story short it is going into another system so when friends come over they can play NWN on that system. Hence why I have bought several copies of the game for the CD Key.
Granamere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 03:15 PM   #2
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

You are right, this game likes the GeForce better. I also have a GeForce III, and will be sticking with it, but if you are in the market to buy another video card...go ahead and get the ATI. It is even better than the GeForce FX that has not even been released yet, as I am told by many friends here at work. Supposedly, this latest patch has fixed all issues with the card compatability to NWN. I have not heard anyone mention this aspect yet. I hope someone will enlighten us both!

>>>Note: I am of course referring to the newest ATI.
I cannot remember it's name.

[ 02-14-2003, 03:16 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 02-14-2003, 04:47 PM   #3
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Are you talking about the Radeon 9700, Larry?
If so, I do not recomend buying it. My Fav. Games Magazine didn't have a good word to spare about this card. Although the preformance is impressive, it often causes all kinds of graphical glitches and bugs.
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 05:43 PM   #4
Granamere
Zhentarim Guard

Dreamer128 [128 is that the amount of video ram you have? [img]smile.gif[/img] ]
Are the problems with it something that can be fixed with a driver update yet to come in the future or is it bad hardware design? Also did the review try it against NWN. If so what patch level? Also has anyone seen a review of NWN on an ATI card?
I agree with Larry. I would really like to hear from ATI NWN players what they think.
Thanks,
Granamere
Granamere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 02:29 PM   #5
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Geforce user myself but I do know people with kickass ATI's (9700 series) who still can't activate the shiny water option despite bioware and ati's efforts with the 'Catalyst' support driver...I mean, why cash out on an expensive card if you don't get all the eye candy you deserve?

Try for a geforce Ti or wait for the Chameleon
Old 02-25-2003, 08:48 AM   #6
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Granamere:
Dreamer128 [128 is that the amount of video ram you have? [img]smile.gif[/img] ]
Are the problems with it something that can be fixed with a driver update yet to come in the future or is it bad hardware design? Also did the review try it against NWN. If so what patch level? Also has anyone seen a review of NWN on an ATI card?
I agree with Larry. I would really like to hear from ATI NWN players what they think.
Thanks,
Granamere
My old video card was a Riva128
Regarding the card; the problems with games are generally fixed in no time. But not all people like having to download large patches for their games.
The 9700 'is' however one of the fastest cards on the market, and probably wont be beaten until the GeForceFX comes out.
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote