Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2003, 11:51 AM   #31
realbinky
Elminster

Well, first off, I did NOT include Masklinn and MO in my, er, outburst. I guess in commenting on my contact with french-persons, they are my only personal, and of course are the best representatives any country could hope to have. I have issues with countries that, on a whole, project the kind of thing I said onto my country, which is the feeling I get. They are also the strongest opposer to every action we try to take militarily. This is neither here nor there, I apologize to Masklinn, Moiraine, and others. The only problem I have with Moiraine is that I can't spell here name without looking twice.
Old 03-06-2003, 11:52 AM   #32
Masklinn

Quote:
Yeah, we are like Dwarves, French women have a mustache too.
Shhhhhhhhhh, you're not suppose to tell that ! This was supposed to be our secret weapon in case anyone invade us.
You know, like : "OMG these girls have a mustache and a beret, ewww, lets go invade another country!"

Oh and don't worry, 2 french people is plenty
Old 03-06-2003, 11:53 AM   #33
Grojlach
Zartan

My uncle married a French woman and lives near Paris with his children, who were raised entirely with the French language... And as our grasp of the French language is as bad as their grasp of the Dutch language, we mostly communicate in German (!). Every now and then we visit them or they visit us, you know, regular family visits; so I suppose that counts as a "French connection".

[ 03-06-2003, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]
Old 03-06-2003, 11:55 AM   #34
Sir_Tainly

Quote:
Originally posted by Masklinn:
Shhhhhhhhhh, you're not suppose to tell that ! This was supposed to be our secret weapon in case anyone invade us.
You know, like : "OMG these girls have a mustache and a beret, ewww, lets go invade another country!"

Oh and don't worry, 2 french people is plenty
This of course depends on the quality of women in the invaders' countries
I mean they might be big and butch, or have big teeth!!!

Old 03-06-2003, 11:57 AM   #35
Masklinn

Quote:
I apologize to Masklinn, Moiraine, and others.
Don't worry Realbinky, you don't have to apologize (to me at least), I'm really used to this kind of stuff.
Also, you don't want to know what I sometimes think of american people
Old 03-06-2003, 12:01 PM   #36
Masklinn

Quote:
This of course depends on the quality of women in the invaders' countries
I mean they might be big and butch, or have big teeth!!!
Well Sir T., yours seem to be better anyway...last time we sent you one you burned her !
Old 03-06-2003, 12:03 PM   #37
Sir_Tainly

LOL

I thought ours were the ones with big teeth ?? ask Moiraine

Old 03-06-2003, 12:08 PM   #38
Masklinn

Oh yeah they are, but you like them better than ours
The proof is in my previous post [img]smile.gif[/img]

(yeah I know, it is sometimes hard to understand what ideas I am trying to usually elaborate with my really , really, extremly, poor english writing skills and my really strangely built sentences)

Old 03-06-2003, 12:20 PM   #39
Sir_Tainly

what? zere iz nossing wrong wiz your sentenzes and I can even understand your ac-cent!!

Old 03-06-2003, 01:48 PM   #40
Thoran
Galvatron

I've been to France a couple times on business, Lyon last trip (2 weeks).

Here's my thoughts re: Lyon.

I thought the architecture was fantastic (I stayed in a hotel that looked like a giant Crayon last trip [img]smile.gif[/img] ). I could see a cathedral from my window (here's a pic on my website : http://www.kuhnhome.org/Travels/lyon2fra.jpg) and it looked very impressive... until I talked to a Frenchman about it. He said something along the lines of "it's the most gaudy thing ever built" [img]smile.gif[/img]

Every night we would wander down to the old city and pick a resteraunt at random. To be honest we didn't have great luck when we were on our own. The food at the resteraunts we chose was acceptable but nothing great. However, when we went out with a French associate he took us to a place that looked much the same as every resteraunt we'd been to... but the food was outstanding. The wines he chose were equally impeccable.

My single favorite thing : Cheese trays at every dinner! And the cheeses available were very tasty.

Close second : Dinner was an event, I don't think I've ever gotten through dinner in France in less than 3 hours [img]smile.gif[/img] . For an "eat on the run" American it's a welcome change. We would sit at outdoor tables when possible, and spend a lot of time just watching people. The great thing was that we didn't have waiters clearing our table and coughing obtrusively trying to get us to move so they could seat the next group.

Least favorite thing : Flavored beer - Now I know why the French don't drink a lot of beer... YUK! [img]smile.gif[/img] .

The prerequisite "travel story" - A group of us were drinking and enjoying the view during a reception at the bar in the hotel, we were having a great time when they finally told us it was time to go... and as I recall it was only 2:00am! (the nerve ). Colin (a co-worker from Ireland) and I were having SUCH a good time that we decided to take a cab down to the old city and see what was up. He'd been around Lyon before so he took the lead. Where he led me was to a door on a street in the old city, after entering we climbed a flight of stairs and entered what I assumed was a bar, but it was unlike any bar I'd been in before. There was a band playing and a long polished bar, that much was familiar. BUT, instead of tables and chairs there were couches and low tables. Now I'm a flexible guy (especially after 6 or 7 hours of drinking), so I shrugged, got a couple beers and took a seat. I took a drink and decided that the couch was VERY comfortable... Colin started dancing with one girl and I took a pass on another (wife would not have appreciated). Next thing I remember was waking up a while later. I was more "tired" than I thought, so I'd taken a little snooze. Colin was dancing with a different girl, closely! I at that point started to wonder what kind of bar we were in. As I looked around I started to get a suspecion that this wasn't the kind of bar my strict Catholic parents would approve of. In fact I think maybe it wasn't a bar at ALL [img]smile.gif[/img] ) Anyway... I didn't think about it too long because I promptly fell back asleep. Next think I know Colin was telling me it was time to go... 5:30 or so. We went to settle up our bill...

$120.00
for 2 beers.

I think maybe since I got such a good nights sleep they charged us for board AND room. [img]smile.gif[/img]