Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2003, 10:17 AM   #11
realbinky
Elminster

edit: Nevermind, I'm grumpy.

Edited for being a horse's ass.

[ 03-06-2003, 11:50 AM: Message edited by: realbinky ]
Old 03-06-2003, 10:19 AM   #12
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Hmm, well of course I have had two wonderful visits to France and as you know I´m well traveled in the Lyon airport by now

Apart from that I have visit France twice, but since I were at the sixe of three apples.. I don´t recall that much.

Generally we here news about you all the time in the news, have for long. French is the third language studied here in Sweden mostly, (English obligatory, German or French and now Spanish)

We have an imported royal line from France as well, and have always kept fashion spies since the 17ty century since France always have been leading the trends in fashion.

Alot of Swedes go to France and in the general opinion I guess France is a love it or hate it country. The opposite would be Germany.

I don´t know that many french people except you, and the french are rarely seen here in Gothenburg.

We have french litterature translated, movies and films here. THough most movies tend to be the popular ones from US.

We have some french restaurants, some that mimic it and some that truely are frnech, from chef to plates

We took some words from your language and borrowed it, mostly military terms and fashion terms. We have some that is close regarding food as well I think.
You know my french, it is close to nonexisting and with a pronounciation that made you sneeze almost

BAHAAAA!!
Forgot this..
I like France on general terms, though some parts are very different and some parts are completely bugging me off. Espacially the way they sometimes are impossible to communicate with... :S But well that is sometimes the charm with France as well.

[ 03-06-2003, 10:29 AM: Message edited by: WOLFGIR ]

Don´t eat the yellow snow
Old 03-06-2003, 10:53 AM   #13
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by realbinky:
France is nasty, and except for a few (present) notable exceptions, so are the french people. You asked.
Moiraine was not asking for your opinion alone - what she asked was have you actually had any contact with France, the French people, or French culture? Or are you just a narrow minded bigot, as it would appear from your post?

Did you even stop to think whether your comments might be hurtful to the two French people we have here at IW?

[ 03-06-2003, 10:54 AM: Message edited by: Epona ]
Old 03-06-2003, 10:55 AM   #14
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by realbinky:
France is nasty, and except for a few (present) notable exceptions, so are the french people. You asked.
How do you know, have you met every frenchman personally ? Sure, there are jerks among them, but you can find those anywhere. That wasn't a very bright remark imho.
Old 03-06-2003, 11:00 AM   #15
Moiraine
Anubis

Epona, Johnny, thanks for your support, but let it go, mates ! [img]smile.gif[/img]

(Remember : do not feed the ... )

If Realbinky doesn't want to talk to us as a civilized person, why should we talk to him ?
Old 03-06-2003, 11:04 AM   #16
Masklinn

Quote:
Masklinn, you do not qualify for replying here ! But I do have a special question for you : do you think that the "Asterix and Cléopâtre" movie really can be translated, by subtiles or dubbing ? I laughed my ass off at Jamel's pharaoh joke, but I can't see how the fun of it can be passed, as many of the other so very French humour in the movie.
/wave Moiraine [img]smile.gif[/img]

This is a good question. But think about The Monthy Phyton's movies for example, this is a good example of typical british humour, notice how the french subtitles are "arranged" for certain puns. There are some untranslatable stuff and the only way for you to get them 100% is to speak (or at least understand) the original language.

So yeah an english version of this movie will loose a good part of the fun during the dubbing/subtitling process. Some puns will be arranged to fit more.

The pharaoh's joke was pretty twisted too. How could you possibly translate that... [img]smile.gif[/img]

The Headlight-of-we ? Omg - LOL

Some other parts of the movie, like the kung-fu fight or Jamel's face expressions will still be funny for everyone...I hope [img]smile.gif[/img]

But remember Moiraine, le pharaon...c'est son appartenance
Old 03-06-2003, 11:17 AM   #17
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Moiraine:
Since that most of you people in here are, from a French viewpoint, foreign , I am curious about what personal contacts you have had with French stuff : books, movies, music, foodstuff, language, travelling to France, meeting French people, ... anything ! Tell me ! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Masklinn, you do not qualify for replying here ! But I do have a special question for you : do you think that the "Asterix and Cléopâtre" movie really can be translated, by subtiles or dubbing ? I laughed my ass off at Jamel's pharaoh joke, but I can't see how the fun of it can be passed, as many of the other so very French humour in the movie. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Ummmm...well, I know and love a certain little gnome who lives there.

Plus, my maternal Grandfather was a somliet(sp?)(wine expert, for those that dont know what I'm getting at), and loved French wines(and a lot of West Coast US wines, but I think he was biased, living in California) all of his life). And his son, my Mom's little brother is also one(a somliet), and a lover of all things french. He taught me about some of the art and history of France.

I LOVE French cuisine, and have ever since I first learned how to make crepe suzette's. And I'm not one to turn down a good merlot or bourdeaux either.

I've studied a lot of European military history, and the French(and the Guals, back when y'all were know by that title) play a major role in it.

Never been to France, but visiting it, and standing at the top of the Eiffel Tower is on my list of 'Things to do before I die'. LOL....And Cloudy and I have a date in a decade or so with some wine in your cellar!

I have a little French in my ancestry(well, just about anyone who's of European descent does, considering that the French monarchy married into just about every European royal family at one time or another, and their armies all conquered each other...most European's are sort of mutts when it comes to genealogy, European descended Americans too), but mine is only about 5 generations back.

Ummmmmm...I cant think of anything else off the top of my head, but I'll add more if I do.

PS: I LOVE ASTERIX AND OBELISK!!! I've been hooked ever since I saw my first toon, Asterix and the Twelve Tasks(or something to that effect...it was a send up of the Hercules legend, and HILARIOUS!!!). I would love to get all of the toons on DVD!

"May the wings of liberty never lose a feather!"
Old 03-06-2003, 11:19 AM   #18
Moiraine
Anubis

Quote:
Originally posted by Masklinn:
Quote:
Masklinn, you do not qualify for replying here ! But I do have a special question for you : do you think that the "Asterix and Cléopâtre" movie really can be translated, by subtiles or dubbing ? I laughed my ass off at Jamel's pharaoh joke, but I can't see how the fun of it can be passed, as many of the other so very French humour in the movie.
/wave Moiraine [img]smile.gif[/img]

This is a good question. But think about The Monthy Phyton's movies for example, this is a good example of typical british humour, notice how the french subtitles are "arranged" for certain puns. There are some untranslatable stuff and the only way for you to get them 100% is to speak (or at least understand) the original language.

So yeah an english version of this movie will loose a good part of the fun during the dubbing/subtitling process. Some puns will be arranged to fit more.

The pharaoh's joke was pretty twisted too. How could you possibly translate that... [img]smile.gif[/img]

The Headlight-of-we ? Omg - LOL

Some other parts of the movie, like the kung-fu fight or Jamel's face expressions will still be funny for everyone...I hope [img]smile.gif[/img]

But remember Moiraine, le pharaon...c'est son appartenance
[/QUOTE]Hi Masklinn ! [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] I am happy to see you here, was afraid you had been scared away, and as so far you are the only other Frenchie here, I would hate that to happen ! Not that I don't like you as a person, though.

About the pharaoh joke, I really believe it would be much less funny subtitled - and I don't even think about dubbing *yuck* !

Also, Otis's speach to Panoramix would lack a lot without the special 'parisian' talking and accent (yes, yes, you DO have an accent in Paris, we say you are talking "pointu" ) ...

For the non-French people here, the "pharaoh" joke is at the very end of the movie - Jamel, who plays the Egyptian architect, is trying to seduce an Egyptian girl, and he tells her a very VERY lame joke, and she doesn't seem to understand it - what is funny is the clowny way he gets out of himself going on and on trying to explain that joke ... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-06-2003, 11:20 AM   #19
Masklinn

Quote:
but I didn't think "Bottom" went well into French, some of the funniest jokes were lost because cultural references.
Indeed.
I used to watch that show every week, I always found it very very funny, but sometimes I was like '...'
Fortunately I understand english a little and that helped me to get some puns [img]smile.gif[/img]

And thx a lot Realbinky for this wonderful and constructive comment but you forgot to add that we don't wash ourselves, we don't use soap nor toothpaste, we're (and thaz the consequence) incredibly stinky, also we are very arrogant, we all have a little moustache and a baguette in the hand, the wine is never far, the cigaret always on our lips, we eat cheese like it was candy and we listen ONLY accordion. But oh la la...c'est la vie.

(And are Moiraine and I really the only french people of IW ? Aren't there some hiding ? )
Old 03-06-2003, 11:21 AM   #20
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Ummm...Epona...Calling binky a bigot isn't really going to help. Moraine's right, if he doesn't want to behave and converse in a civilized fashion, ignore him, but dont taunt him into derailing this and turning it into a flamefest.

Just MO hon. [img]smile.gif[/img]

"May the wings of liberty never lose a feather!"