Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2002, 12:51 PM   #1
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

My wife has election duty today, and accordingly had the morning off work. She spent her time wisely, watching daytime talking heads. [img]smile.gif[/img] Oprah had a special called "World 101" where news correspondants worldwide did "man on the street" interviews regarding opinions toward America.

The people who had relatively positive things to say, were:
2 Austrailians
1 7 year old South African girl
A group of French women who admired women in the US for their ability to work 40hrs and still have kids.

The rest of the comments, ALL, were negative, including blatant statements that Americans were, in their view:
Obesse
Selfish
Gluttonous
Ignorant regarding world affairs and especially the US Foreign Policy
Stupid
Greedy
Self-centered

Apparently, some people based their opinion of Americans on US-exported TV shows, including Jerry Springer, which some folks in Asia thought accurately represented American life (now the assumption that we're all represented by that show is INCREDIBLE).

Oprah ended by stating amazement at these extreme views. She did put forward the fact that only 20% of US citizens own passports.

Take it for what you will.

[edited for grammar]

[ 11-05-2002, 12:52 PM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]
Old 11-05-2002, 01:06 PM   #2
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

Well dumbfoundingly ignorant rhetoric like that is what she gets for watching oprah.
Old 11-05-2002, 01:11 PM   #3
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Still, you can't argue with the fact that the overwhelming majority of people they interviewed worldwide did not like Americans. Overwhelming. Calling it rhetoric doesn't change the fact that we are simply very disliked.
Old 11-05-2002, 01:18 PM   #4
MagiK

Yeah you got to admit people are so wise in what they believe, after all, they base their knowledge of what Americans are like from exported television sitcoms [img]smile.gif[/img] TL, it really means squat if "they" think that about the US. There is NOTHING at all that can be done to change their minds, not untill the US is required to do this or that, to rescue these or those, or untill they need us for something will they change that opinion. So why worry about it? Is there some reason we should be courting the world in a popularity contest? Lets just go about our business, ignore the polls and just do as we have done for 200 years, and that is "gone our own way".

It is also worth noting that while all these "peoples" hate the US with a passion, it has not slowed down the immigration attempts an ounce, both legal and illegal. Nor have I seen bushels of foreign aid being returned in protest of the "Nasty Americans".

Edit: You know, I realize this sounds like Im anti-european or anti-some other nation but really Im not. What Im trying to convey is that trying to live your life as if it were a popularity contest is a complete waste of time.

[ 11-05-2002, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 11-05-2002, 01:39 PM   #5
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:

Oprah ended by stating amazement at these extreme views. She did put forward the fact that only 20% of US citizens own passports.

[edited for grammar]
20%? Actually I would have guessed even lower than that lol. Although I do have one, I dont any of my friends that have a passport. They are an ignorant lot though. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-05-2002, 02:57 PM   #6
Spelca
Emerald Dragon

LOL, how can some people base their opinion of a nation by watching shows like Jerry Springer... The people on the show there go there just to be noticed, and half of it is acted anyway... I only watch those shows when I need to feel better. That way I can point at the tv and say: 'At least I'm not that idiot there.' But I would never think that Americans are really like that. LOL. That's just silly.
Old 11-05-2002, 03:32 PM   #7
Absynthe

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
[QB What Im trying to convey is that trying to live your life as if it were a popularity contest is a complete waste of time.[/QB]
Would that be because you simply don't care what anyone else thinks, or because you don't believe you can effectively cover your actual personality. Either way, it's an iron-clad argument for arrogance...

Old 11-05-2002, 03:36 PM   #8
Absynthe

Quote:
Originally posted by Spelca:
LOL, how can some people base their opinion of a nation by watching shows like Jerry Springer... The people on the show there go there just to be noticed, and half of it is acted anyway... I only watch those shows when I need to feel better. That way I can point at the tv and say: 'At least I'm not that idiot there.' But I would never think that Americans are really like that. LOL. That's just silly.
Oh but we ARE, Spelca, MagiK is actually my half-brother on my donkey's side and I am Timber Loftis' love child with Lord of Alcohol... Another one of the reasons why Ironworks feels like such a family...

Old 11-05-2002, 03:43 PM   #9
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Hear that, LoA? You didn't even kiss me goodnight. But, I deny any knowledge whatsoever of the famous "donkey incident."
Old 11-05-2002, 03:44 PM   #10
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Quote:
Originally posted by Absynthe:
quote:
Originally posted by Spelca:
Oh but we ARE, Spelca, MagiK is actually my half-brother on my donkey's side and I am Timber Loftis' love child with Lord of Alcohol... Another one of the reasons why Ironworks feels like such a family...[/QUOTE]LOL Absynthe! Thanks for the laugh! Too funny!