Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 11:11 AM   #191
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by promethius9594:
if you want to read what has been said about america and americans, then look through the forum histories. i dont have time to look all that stuff up again... why not a taste though?

You are seriously deluded if you believe Australians sitting in government would kill their representees. You've seriously misjudged the social climate of my nation. It's not America. Conspiracy theories are for you guys.

It's a democracy. The move against guns was one driven by the majority opinion. We're not America. We don't need guns to feel safe. We don't need nuclear bombs to feel safe.

boy, i love how warm and fuzzy that one makes me feel... glad he's so kind to americans.
I was talking to an American conspiracy theorist who foundationalises the right to bear arms. Seeing as he was applying an American perspective into a non American culture, I felt it was valid to point out the differences he seemingly ignored.

[ 05-26-2004, 11:12 AM: Message edited by: Yorick ]

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 05-26-2004, 11:51 AM   #192
promethius9594
Drizzt Do'Urden

timber, you forget, i wasnt the one complaining about the attacks on america.

yorick, i dont disagree with your posts. what i do disagree with is the double standard that is applied when people question OTHER countries. i could care less what y'all say about america or its government, but to insinuate that speaking the same of another country is somehow wrong is ridiculous. i got jumped all over for asking what a person thinks france has done lately... when this type of thing is all over the board. i dont disagree with your right to say what you did, but i do disagree with the double standard.
Old 05-26-2004, 11:56 AM   #193
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
I suppose you like a 17% VAT, too. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Regardless, that's a lot of issues in a post telling us how you think we are fine.
I would love 17%!!!

(smirks at another mistake by Timber Loftis)

I've always said the majority of Americans are fine.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 05-26-2004, 05:19 PM   #194
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

So, then what is the VAT these days?
Old 05-27-2004, 06:08 AM   #195
Donut
Jack Burton

17.5%
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 05-27-2004, 07:26 AM   #196
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Masklinn:
Let's see it this way : Taxi Driver, Apocalypse Now, The Mission, The Pianist, Pulp Fiction, they all had the Palme D'or award, and they're like...GREAT films (can we at least agree on this ?). So Farenheit 911 must be one hell of a movie too, and just for that, beyond the political aspect, we should go and see it.
Then, I say THEN, we will debate about it and, depending on our *side* and beliefs, spit on Moore or thank him.
I just can't wait for it to be released here in France, which will be pretty soon I'm sure.
The only two movies I've seen on your list are Taxi Driver and Pulp Fiction. Taxi Driver was interesting but I wouldn't say it was GREAT and I especially didn't see anything spectacular or redeeming about Pulp Fiction. Nothing but the usual excessive violence and profanity that are the trademarks of Tarantino's films. So casting Farenheit 9/11 in that company certainly doesn't increase it's appeal to me.

But I will agree that Moore deserves to have an award for his "creative editing". As Timber mentioned, he even uses these "creative talents" in his less controversial films (such as "Roger and Me) to splice multiple interviews together to make it appear like a single interview and to add other subtle touches that help "flavor" the film the way he wants it to be. If nothing else, the man deserves to be in a category all by himself for "Creative Editing".
Old 05-27-2004, 10:26 AM   #197
Davros
Takhisis Follower

It's gettin so you can't say "I disagree" without bein Un-American (if you are born in the US) or an American Basher (if you are a non-stateside birth).

Too many people identify the government as being the country rather than what they truly are - the schmucks who are trying to run the country.

And Cerek - Micheal Moore has a rather powerful opponent in the creative editing side, so I don't seeing him always scooping the pool. He would be going head to head with FOX NEWS, and the "Fair and Balanced One" might just have a few more cash reserves available to it I am thinking .
Old 05-27-2004, 11:21 AM   #198
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
17.5%
[img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img] And that was enough of a difference to smirk? You're too easily pleased. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-27-2004, 03:13 PM   #199
promethius9594
Drizzt Do'Urden

It's gettin so you can't say "I disagree" without bein Un-American (if you are born in the US) or an American Basher (if you are a non-stateside birth).

actually, its getting so you cant say "what do you think are the virtues of the french?" without people calling for you to be banned. im not saying anyone who questions is anti american, but the attitude that questioning should only go one way is hypocritical and should stop.
Old 05-27-2004, 04:45 PM   #200
Masklinn

Come on Promethius...we know and you know that the way you asked it was not very cool, could you please stop getting back to that everytime ? It only shows your stubborness (is that spelled correctly ?). [img]smile.gif[/img]