Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 06:44 PM   #131
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
It was an international audience including many Americans.
Of course -- Hollywood liberals and their followers, who represent 90% of what's on TV in the US, and 15% of the geographic region where our population resides. Martin Sheen or Sean Penn applauding a "documentary" (you must use the word loosely with Moore) slamming Bush doesn't actually validate it in my mind. If it's good enough for you, so be it.[/QUOTE]Not true, I watched interviews with two right-wing American critics who both said it was "much better than they expected it to be" and were extremely suprised

[ 05-18-2004, 06:44 PM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]
Old 05-18-2004, 06:49 PM   #132
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Traitors. We'll find those turncoats and hang 'em up by their thumbnails for going pinko on us!!!
Old 05-19-2004, 05:43 AM   #133
Donut
Jack Burton

Ovation lasted for 15 minutes. It must be a superb film.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 05-19-2004, 07:01 AM   #134
Grojlach
Zartan

Arrow

Quote:
Originally posted by Cerek the Barbaric:
Hmmm...that sounds very much like what *I've* been saying throughout this entire thread regarding Moore and his films.
Which is especially remarkable, considering the fact you've never even seen BfC...
Cerek, honestly - at least go out and see it once. Give it a fair chance, and *then* decide on an opinion - don't just dismiss it because you find Moore's public appearances repulsive or because your favourite newspapers and magazines are trying to make mountains out of molehills by putting small, irrelevant inconsistencies on par with "being a big fat liar" - sure, BfC has its flaws, and the overly cheap and cheesy closing scene with Heston makes me want to scratch out my eye-balls, but the movie makes more than enough good points that won't be mentioned in the anti-Moore media.
Old 05-19-2004, 02:09 PM   #135
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:
quote:
Originally posted by Cerek the Barbaric:
Hmmm...that sounds very much like what *I've* been saying throughout this entire thread regarding Moore and his films.
Which is especially remarkable, considering the fact you've never even seen BfC...
Cerek, honestly - at least go out and see it once. Give it a fair chance, and *then* decide on an opinion - don't just dismiss it because you find Moore's public appearances repulsive or because your favourite newspapers and magazines are trying to make mountains out of molehills by putting small, irrelevant inconsistencies on par with "being a big fat liar" - sure, BfC has its flaws, and the overly cheap and cheesy closing scene with Heston makes me want to scratch out my eye-balls, but the movie makes more than enough good points that won't be mentioned in the anti-Moore media. [/QUOTE]I haven't seen the film, but I have seen the criticisms of it on the various web pages linked in previous threads. I don't find Moore's public appearances repulsive - I find the man himself repulsive. The allegations of half-truths and deliberate misconceptions is not new to Moore's work - nor is it limited to BFC. In fact, Moore has seen to it that each of his films generated a fair amount of controversy. Controversy equals free publicity and increased interest.

I don't read magazines or newspapers. Most of my information comes from local and national news shows (when I have time to watch them) and internet sources. If I hear about a story that interests me, I usually go to CNN, Reuters or AP to find a story on it. Otherwise, I go by sources cited in the threads themselves.

As for watching BFC, I have said I will try and make time to do that. However, I normally rent movies for entertainment value, and with 3 small children I have precious little time to rent movies I DO want to see. So the idea of using some of that valuable time to watch a movie made by a man I find repulsive due to his habit of infusing his own agenda into every picture he makes is not very appealing - to say the least.

As for Moore's penchant for "spinning" the facts to suit his purpose, I have provided enough examples of Moore doing exactly that in his comments regarding Disney's treatment of Farenheit 9/11 to show he does do it on a regular basis. You can review them for yourself or choose to ignore them as you see fit.
Old 05-22-2004, 06:35 PM   #136
Lanesra
Symbol of Cyric

Well it's just won the Palme d'Or, first documentry to do so since the old king died, so it must be a pretty good movie.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertain...lm/3739325.stm

[ 05-22-2004, 07:12 PM: Message edited by: Lanesra ]
Old 05-22-2004, 07:39 PM   #137
Lanesra
Symbol of Cyric

Seems like it's shocked old GB [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/05/22/bush.fall/index.html
Old 05-23-2004, 02:40 AM   #138
promethius9594
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
heh, an ovation from people who believe britney spears deserves a standing O? that isnt worth spit from the bottom of my shoes. most of those movie/music stars are less educated than the average american in any case.
Old 05-23-2004, 05:49 AM   #139
Lanesra
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by promethius9594:
quote:
heh, an ovation from people who believe britney spears deserves a standing O? that isnt worth spit from the bottom of my shoes. most of those movie/music stars are less educated than the average american in any case. [/QUOTE]But if they had of booed him, they would have been ok, right ? how dare he make a film that tells the people that the sun don't shine out of G Dubya's arse.
Old 05-23-2004, 06:33 AM   #140
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Lanesra:
quote:
Originally posted by promethius9594:
quote:
heh, an ovation from people who believe britney spears deserves a standing O? that isnt worth spit from the bottom of my shoes. most of those movie/music stars are less educated than the average american in any case. [/QUOTE]But if they had of booed him, they would have been ok, right ? how dare he make a film that tells the people that the sun don't shine out of G Dubya's arse. [/QUOTE]I would have been shocked if they had booed. It is "politically correct", internationally speaking. It says we should never have gone to war in Iraq and is excessivily critical of George Bush (at least that's the implication I got from Moore's comment about "doing everything he can to see that Bush is NOT re-elected this year"). So why wouldn't the Cannes Film audience applaud it? The movie is tailor-made to meet their approval and support their views.

Like I said, I would be shocked if they hadn't applauded it.