Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2002, 10:32 AM   #1
Jammer
Welcomed New User

I've not tried absolutely everything I can think of yet, but I'm about to go out of town and would hate to wait even longer for a solution if what I can think of doesn't work.

I'm running the combo pack: "Baldur's Gate -- The Original Saga", the one with BG and Tales of the Sword Coast all in one package, compressed onto 3 CD's. I appear to have the latest version 1.35512 or so.

Here's the deal. I'm trying to get to the Gnoll Stronghold to rescue Dynaheir. I leave the last area, the map comes up, I select Gnoll stronghold. I get waylaid by cave bears. Whack the bears, then leave the waylay area via the nw, pick Gnoll Stronhold again on the map.

The game prompts me for CD 3. Problem: CD 3 is already in the drive. I have tried pulling it out and re-inserting, putting cd 2 in, and then putting cd 3 in. No luck. I restart the game, reload with cd 2 in place, and repeat. Still no luck. The game is convinced I have the wrong CD.

Any ideas? Oh, and I seem to get a lot of "crash to desktop" errors for such a mature game. I'm running Win98, Pentium 3 800, have 128 MB RAM, Geoforce 3 w/64 MB, Sound Blaster, and a DVD drive. I confess the DVD has been acting a little goofy on some other games, but seemed to be running fine with this one.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 12:09 PM   #2
Sorcerer Alex

Have you done a full install? If not, I'd suggest doing it. That way the game is less reliant on the discs. But I know that a lot of people have problems with the Gnoll Stronghold area and getting it to load in general.
Old 07-12-2002, 12:15 PM   #3
Jammer
Welcomed New User

Quote:
Originally posted by Arledrian:
Have you done a full install? If not, I'd suggest doing it. That way the game is less reliant on the discs. But I know that a lot of people have problems with the Gnoll Stronghold area and getting it to load in general.
No, I've not done the full install. Not enough room on the old HD. I must say, I was pretty shocked a 4 year old game wanted so much space. Maybe I'll remove Freedom Force and try a full install. The disk swapping is rather a pain.

Or maybe I'll get another HD. Yeah, and a new motherboard and CPU. But then I'd have to play NWN instead.
Old 07-12-2002, 12:34 PM   #4
Sorcerer Alex

I certainly think it's a good idea to get a bigger hard drive if you can, that'll save you a lot of hassle with other games in the long run too [img]smile.gif[/img]

And don't even get me started on NWN... my laptop is too slow to play it, but it'll run BG I and II just fine... I guess I'll live

By the way, welcome to Ironworks! Feel free to drop by in general discussion sometime, we welcome anyone brave enough to enter! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-13-2002, 12:07 AM   #5
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

You might be able to bypass the problem--the game wants to play the "Entering Gnoll Stronghold" movie, and that might be the cause of the "I want CD 3!" mental block. Perhaps, if you used the CLUA Console to cheat your way onto the Stronghold map without doing any Full Install jazz. If you did teleport your party in, you wouldn't start the map where you're supposed to, but there wouldn't be a lot of difference.
Old 07-13-2002, 04:34 AM   #6
Dagorion
Red Wizard of Thay

Just out of curiosity, Where do i find those area codes? I had a problem with not being able to load my Final-save to Ulgoths Beard and eventually had to crack open Gatekeeper and place my party there.

P.S. I seem to be butting into a lot of threads with my own problems dont I?
Old 07-13-2002, 04:49 AM   #7
Sorcerer Alex

Here are the item codes and here are the area codes. I'm afraid these links don't cover TOTSC though. Maybe you can do a search on google to try to find them [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-13-2002, 06:21 AM   #8
The Ozzman
Zhentarim Guard

if you are crashing to desktop a lot try and close programs that might be running in the background. Especially ones that have icons over by the Clock, just start right clicking on them and closing them. Some will ask if you want them to come up the next time you start windows, so just click on yes. Might want to do some maintenance on the hard drive as well. Disk Cleanup, Scan Disk, Disk Defragment.
Old 07-13-2002, 12:38 PM   #9
Jammer
Welcomed New User

I want to thank everyone who made suggestions. I re-installed (after some false starts, including a system freeze 2/3 of the way through the first try) putting CD 3 on the hard drive. That took care of the problem. Gnolls dead, and I'm on my way back to Nashkell.

I'll try closing out extra programs and see if that helps the crahing. I already do weekly disk scans and defrags.

Thanks for all the help! Now I'm off the LA for a week.