Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2003, 01:06 PM   #1
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Kryjack watched Tamako walk away. His unwillingness to fight her had convinced her that she had made a bad decision in sharing her heart with Sarevock. He did not show any sign of it, but he was also interested in her, and he had to settle for catching a glimpse of her cute perky little butt before she disappeared into the thick mists of the Undercity.

It was, as Kryjack sighed to himself, a great butt. Pity then, that Sarevock found her first, poor fool did not know what he was missing. Still daydreaming, it took Jaheira to shake him out of his thoughts.

"Helloooo. Door here, Sarevock inside, yes?", Jaheira muttered angrily. She could be a pain in the arse sometimes, but she was right, unfortunately. The time of reckoning had come, and Kryjack had to do the deed now or die trying.

"Okay... what do we have people?", Kryjack asked.

"Erm... ah... well... ehehe, we have these...", Khalid stammered as he struggled to lift up a sack, a really huge sack of something that clanged everytime it shook.

"Minsc help you! Right Boo?", said a bald man, who was just behind Khalid. Effortlessly taking the bag from Khalid, he turned it upside-down and spilled out its' contents. Bottles after bottles of potions poured out of it, bottles of every shape, colour and size were there. So many potion bottles in fact, that Kryjack would have been declared a national hero if he donated all of them to a charity hospital.

"Yeah... we could use them.", Kryjack said.

"Gasp!", Jaheira said in mock horror, "You mean you are going to waste our precious potions now? Whatever happened to saving them for a rainy day? Hmmmm? Hmmmm?"

Trying his best to ignore Jaheira and hide his flushing face, Kryjack sorted out the potions and started to divide them into six portions. He did feel bad that he had been so stingy with the potions. He recalled the time when Khalid was screaming for a Potion of Fire Resistance and Kryjack told him to hang in there while he try to heal him. Alas, the enemy Mage casted another Fireball which caused his spell to fizzle and Khalid to run around screaming in total hysteria. Thankfully, Minsc saved the day with his archery and Kryjack had to stay out of Jaheira's glares until her boyfriend had completely healed to the point of sanity.

"Here... this is for you, and this for you, and ~~", Kryjack droned, as he passed out the potions.

Khalid nearly puked because he had to drink over a dozen potions, but thankfully potions these days were artificially flavoured and he finally managed to down all of them.

"What about these, Kryjack?"

Kryjack turned around and saw Imoen, his lifelong pal, and saw dozens of green-glowing scrolls in her hands.

"Urm... yeah. We could use those too."

"FINALLY! I was getting tired of lugging them around," Imoen squealed.

Kryjack casted a few spells to boost everybody and when he felt certain that everybody was combat ready, he walked forward... and opened the gates.

Screenshots

Took my third reload before I managed to nail Sarevock and his henchmen. It would have been much, MUCH easier if it was not for the fact that Web and Stinking Cloud are very annoying.

I tried to disarm the traps, but I kept failing too, so I gave up on the idea. I tried to sic Khalid mano-a-mano with Sarevock, but he just got creamed, badly. He died too fast for the rest of my party to polish off Sarevock.

I wish I did not have to do this... but I had to use the lamest tactic in the book.

Summon Swarm.

Dynaheir had Wands of Monster Summoning, and I used them to mob Sarevock while my party attacked from range.

Angelo was a pushover, as my ENTIRE party was immuned to fire. His Arrows of Detonation did nothing to my party. Even the piercing damage was negated by the fact that everybody in my party had drank Potions of Regeneration. [img]tongue.gif[/img] I used Jaheira to distract him from attacking the summons( no it has nothing to do with my deep dislike of Jaheira). It was amusing to see him launch fireball after fireball at her to no effect, while Jaheira slowly roasted him with her Wands of Heaven. Khalid went over to finish the job after dealing with Tazok and the Doomguard who could not hit Khalid for nuts.

The Mage was easily swarmed by the summons and Minsc finished him off with Arrows of Biting early in the battle.

Thus leaving Sarevock. The annoying thing was... Sarevock did not fail his save even once against the Arrows of Biting. Making my 4000 gold investment a total waste of resources. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Who dealt the killing blow?

Imoen. [img]smile.gif[/img] With her Shortbow and Arrows +1.

What was my Cleric doing? Er... nothing. He just watched after summoning some skeletons. [img]redface.gif[/img]

Land of the Psycho-moe
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 01:15 PM   #2
daan
Silver Dragon

LoL, who hasnt swarmed him with animals ..
And ehr ... in what way do you find summoning 100+ skeleton warriors and/or quite a few (fallen) planetars any different from this ?
You somewhat specialized in it Heck, you were a true BG 1'er at heart even before you ever played it [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-27-2003, 01:27 PM   #3
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

I never claimed that summoning an army of Skeleton Warriors was not lame either. It is cheesy IMHO, a valid tactic, but cheesy nevertheless. Maybe when I make a melee character, then I will not need to rely on summons to whack Sarevock around.

Oh well, finally completed BG1. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-27-2003, 01:33 PM   #4
daan
Silver Dragon

Finally ?
It took me over 4 months, well .. that was because I was pretty stupid.
I did the quest in the sewers, Baldur's Gate .. but I didnt realize that obtaining the ring and killing the guy wearing it was all it took.

I -literally- wandered around the sewers for 1 complete real-time month. Taking every exit atleast 10 times. I was ready to throw away the game when someone I know mentioned BG 1 and I asked what he did with that quest ...
felt pretty stupid afterwards [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I do wonder though, how a fighter-type would deal with Sarevok.
I mean -definetly without TotSC- arent you incredibly inferior to Sarevok in every single way ? ( havent played BG 1 in atleast 2 years or so, feel free to correct me )

I just summoned stuff and pelted him with arrows .. any melee-attempt was quite swiftly done with.
Old 02-27-2003, 01:41 PM   #5
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

It took me 91 game days and 11 sessions to complete BG1, but that was because I skipped the TotSC maps. I was torn between doing TotSC or going straight back into Baldur's Gate, and the temptation to complete the game was too strong.

When I realised that the sewers were a maze, I told myself, screw it, I am not going to subject myself to frustration, and only entered the sewers when absolutely neccessary.

My second run is going to be more leisurely, and this time, I intend to do TotSC too. I practically barraged my way through the game, blundering along blindly, not knowing what to expect around the corner. That I only had about 4 "difficult" encounters( which does not include the final battle) on Core difficulty made me wonder whether I should pump it up to Insane already. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Nah, I think I will stick to Core for the moment. I want to experiment a bit and play around with the different classes.
Old 02-27-2003, 01:48 PM   #6
daan
Silver Dragon

[img]tongue.gif[/img] If you do every quest there is ( each map has atleast one ), its gonna be quite a few more days this time I think. I wanted to see every last bit of dirt after the sewer-quest.. as I was used to walking around alot now anywayz.
BG 1,.. looking only at quests and map areas, is probably twice as big as SoA and ToB together .. heck, with ease. Too bad they didnt make either SoA or ToB come even close to that size
Old 02-27-2003, 02:16 PM   #7
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Erm... actually, I got the feeling that BG1 was smaller in terms of quests. BG1 has more map areas yes, but the number of quests was definitely smaller in my opinion. Well, according to the notes I took down at least.

Also, BG2 excelled in long term quests, major quests so to speak. Almost none of the Fed-Ex quests that are so prevalent in BG1. I reeeeally hate Fed-Ex quests. I am an adventurer dangit, not the local postman!

One thing I noticed though... my party is very quiet. I might as well be playing a multiplayer party, and I would barely notice the difference.
Old 02-27-2003, 02:48 PM   #8
Legolas
Jack Burton

Bah, Dundee, you're spoiled you [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Good job on Sarevok, although I'm worried all those potions may cause cancer or liver failiure in the long run, and nausea on a shorter term [img]graemlins/1puke.gif[/img]

But I agree. So far my dual run through BG without the pause button is not even that hard. I've tried sticking mainly to following the main plot in an attempt to keep my XP levels down (which is working, by the way) but I'm still tempted to touch that difficulty slider. Either that or kick Imoen out, and I could never do that...

Say NO to the Trouser Tyranny!
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 02:59 PM   #9
NiceWorg
Baaz Draconian

Wow.. a little buffing, eh? You can barely see the NPC faces.. [img]smile.gif[/img] Nothing wrong with it, but I had a nice gringe.

I recall having about half of the buffing you did, and summoned no more than dozen beasts. It was enough, because my party was so strong with bows. The thing was to throw all possible fireballs etc. first while keeping your summons away from their range, then tell them to attack sarevok while my party was shooting arrows. After several attempts I found myself lacking spells so that I could have used another effective tactic. There was no protection spells from anything.

That goes to IIRC category... it´s been a year since I last seriously played BG1.
Old 02-27-2003, 04:34 PM   #10
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

My last run through BG starred Grint, my famous "fairly hacked" Half-Orc Barbarian. I didn't have ToSC this time around, and my party included people I'd never taken to the final battle before, such as Jaheira and Garrick.

I beat Sarevok by using Potions, yes, but only on Grint--more on that later. instead of summons, I used Stealth: Imoen (or was it Montaron?) found out where the bad guys were, Semaj DD'd out to us and we shot him full of holes, then we laid a thick blanket of Web, Stinking Cloud, and Cloudkill over the entire altar. Sarevok, due to his Magic Resistance, didn't feel a thing, but Angelo & Tazok were goners.

Grint: Potions of Storm Giant Strength, Heroism, Power, Invulnerability. Chainmail+4, Shield of the Fallen Stars and Icingdeath versus Mithril Plate Mail and the Sword of Chaos+5. Mano a mano, no healing, just straight melee. I had more than half my HP remaining when the big S kissed the carpet.