Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2000, 02:44 PM   #1
Asphyxiate
Manshoon

Hail!
My first posting here- tips for others have helped me greatly in the past so I'm hoping you can help me out here too. I recently decided (on hearing of BGII) to go through BG and the expansion pack again to beef up my primary character. All well and good, nicely maxed out on the new xp cap until I return to Candlekeep once again. Problem summary:

1) The movie clip played upon entering the ground level keeps repeating over and over so I can move about 2 seconds before the clip plays again. VERY irritating. I've tried deleting bif files and forcing the area load again from CD, but to no avail. Has anyone else encountered this problem? Problem goes away as soon as I get off that ground level. Happened at the Iron Throne building too.

2) The buggers in the Keep absolutely refuse to arrest me. I can't remember what I did last time to get them to throw me in jail, but I don't remember having so many problems here. I've got Gorion's scroll, but the gatewarden doesn't chase me down to arrest me. Instead when I hit the sixth floor he tells me to go and see someone in the outer yard, but unless I'm missing something there's nobody there. I've been all round Candlekeep and seem unable to make progress. Tethoril just keeps jabbering about how proud he is of me and does nothing. I've seen other posts about triggers, but thought they only applied to MP games. I've also experimented with killing or leaving alive the Iron Throne, seems to make no difference. Run to a bit of a halt here..

Any assistance / suggestions appreciated. I've exported the char and am all set for BGII, but I'd kinda like to make sure that I finish the game to I can restore my pride!

Regards,
--/Asphyxiate
Asphyxiate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2000, 11:14 AM   #2
Moggl

What you have sounds like the 'global variable bug' which causes the game to garble computer ressources (especially on computers with low memory), so that quests get respawned and all sorts of other nasty things happen.

What to do:
A) Get the patch (intl or US) to version 1.3.5512 at www.interplay.com/bgtales
B) If you have 64 MB RAM or less, go buy some more.
Old 07-21-2004, 01:43 AM   #3
lorddario
Welcomed New User

Wish this post werent so old, as I am having a similar problem

First, I would get sent to jail then Tethtoril and the other guy wold not advance their dialogue, but continued saying the same thing they said in Candlekeep on the 6th floor. So I was stuck.

I assumed I didnt do something to advance the storyline, so I went to an earlier save and went into the Iron Throne building and fought the guys on the fifth floor. I had forgotten to do this, so now off I went again to candlekeep, this time having completed the Iron Throne activity.

Now, upon entering Candlekeep I get teh exact problem the proginal poster had .. the movie scene upon entering the keep replays over and over. I can inch my way between takes to the stairs and once I get to the second floor I am free of the annoying movie clip.

However, like Asph I do not get taken to jail no matter what I do. If I kill the Iron Throne leaders in the meeting the head guard on the ffith floor never advances his dialogue past "go talk to Tethtoril" and Tethtoril and the other guy (Ultruant?) say their same old stuff prior to when I am supposed to get sent to jail.

I am hung up and want to start BG2 FINALLY. Asph, did you solve this problem? Anyone else ahve any ideas?

I personally think my cd finally got scratched by the cardboard thingy enuf not to function properly. The movie clip upon enterint the keep hangs for 1.5 seconds prior to ending, giving me 3 seconds to move my chars, and then restarting.

I am getting frustrated.

As far as my comp, its a P4 2.0 with a gig of ddr ram, so it cant be my memory.
lorddario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 02:17 AM   #4
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Not a clue, myself. perhaps a corrupt file? Try a full installation. uninstall your current game, making sure to keep your save files. Reinstall and use the customize installation option. Check off every single box in all the cd's. (if you don't already know what I'm talking about, you will when you see it) Don't worry if your computer says there isn't enough space, it's most likely because BG isn't able to see space in excess of the amount listed. load your save and let us know if it was fixed.

P.S. Whoa!! [img]graemlins/jawdrop.gif[/img] a four year old post resurrected, that's gotta be some kinda record.

OH yeah, can't forget:
[img]graemlins/thewave.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thewave.gif[/img]
Welcome to Ironworks, LordDario!!
[img]graemlins/thewave.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thewave.gif[/img]

[ 07-21-2004, 02:19 AM: Message edited by: Firestormalpha ]

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 03:27 AM   #5
lorddario
Welcomed New User

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

and thanks for the warm welcome [img]smile.gif[/img]
lorddario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 12:30 PM   #6
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Defend Your Castle Champion Frogger Champion Monkey Diving Champion Summer Games Champion Donkey Kong Champion
Moon Lander Champion Space Invaders Champion
Lol, yeah dude. Ya, know, ur allowed to post your own questions. lol. Welcome to IW! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Dron_Cah is offline   Reply With Quote