Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2001, 05:24 PM   #1
Sherpa Doug
Dungeon Master

Does anyone know the relative merits of:

Oil of Fiery Burning size ??? 5D6 damage
Potion of Explosions size 40' 6D6 damage
Arrows of Detonation size ??? 7D6 damage

They all do about the same thing, but are there differences? Are some bigger than others? I don't know how to find out except for a LOT of experimentation.

Sherpa Doug
Sherpa Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2001, 08:43 PM   #2
Kathen Stonefire

Im not sure about the merits of the different explosive weapons, but my faverite is the "Arrows of Detination". I like to equip my thief with them and go scouting with "invisable and protection from fire", if there is something waiting around the corner I dont know about, the arrows will usually take care of them (usually).
Old 01-26-2001, 11:42 PM   #3
mir_ror
Welcomed New User

I suppose the text description of the potion / arrow says it all, doesn't it? The damage inflicted (5d6/6d6 etc), size of the explosion (40" etc) eg. ...

I'm quite reluctant to use arrows of detonation (preferring to reserve them for those major battles), since they're extremely expensive (~4000 for 5 arrows?!). Usually, I would use the potions/bottles instead, and even then on those annoying skeletons (there are hordes of them in certain areas) which are relatively impervious to ranged attacks.
mir_ror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2001, 05:10 PM   #4
Kathen Stonefire

He is right, they are quite expensive, I use them sparingly.(If im not cheating of course)
I want to ask, does it generally bother the regulars,like you guys, that I cheat? I know it spoills the effect it is suppose to have as an RPG, but it kicked my but for months before I broke down. I really like messaging with you guys and dont want to affend any body. I dont give the spoillers out unless im asked to.
Old 01-28-2001, 12:51 AM   #5
mir_ror
Welcomed New User

I agree with IdiotRogue - the point of getting a game is for the sake of its entertainment value. If you're one who likes sticking to the rules and beating the game on its own terms (like I do), go ahead. But if you're the type who likes to hack the game and tamper with it (like having Drizzt fight on your side or seeing Saravok splattered by a cow), well, I see nothing wrong with that either (after I beat the game, I usually do this).

In general, I prefer to overcome challenges without 'outside' help, or to rely on forums like this as a source of strategies/resources to draw from. But at the end of the day (& when twilight falls...just talking rubbish , it ultimately lies with your style of playing.

PS For scouting unexplored areas, I usually use a thief or a ranger. The former is better since you can also search for traps/secret doors at the same time!
mir_ror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2001, 10:07 AM   #6
IdiotRogue
Manshoon

Kathen: a long time gamer, Memnoch, I believe, pointed out that there isn't really an "right and wrong" about cheating. If it enhances your gaming experience, then by all means do so. The only "cheaters" I have seen who have offended are those who brag about how easy a situation in the game was when it was obvious they "hacked" their character's attributes or equipment (e.g.: How could one obtain the Cloak of Nondetection without having gone to the area in which it is found? There is only one in the game, right?).

I cheat all the time by using "ExploreArea" because I kept stumbling into things that killed me. I also used Gatekeeper to recreate a character I lost in a hard drive disaster (took me about 2 hrs during character creation to get good attributes doing it "fair and square" and I was not going to spend that much time again).

In short, whatever works for you is how you should play and enjoy the game.
IdiotRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2001, 06:58 PM   #7
Kathen Stonefire

Thank you for the reply, I feel better already, must that healing potion. I do try a game out first with no cheats to see if it is going to drive me insane or not, like BG does, and then want to see and find everything, so cheats come in handy. Anyway, thanks alot, I dont want my reputation to be bad becouse I cheat. And I understand about those who cheat and brag about where and what they can do, that is bad.
Old 01-28-2001, 10:40 PM   #8
IdiotRogue
Manshoon

mir_ror: Thanks for the tip. Others have suggested it to me as well. My main problem(s) are that I cannot spend as much time playing as I would like. Therefore, I am not especially coordinated when it comes to controlling my group. I use the "ExploreArea" to see the terrain, then usually use my thief to locate the bad guys, traps, etc. I am hoping that, by the time I am done with this game, I will be able to play it "straight." D&D rules and RPGs are new to me (just a few months) but I am having a blast (except for trying it as a mage - gotta practice on that a LOT!).
IdiotRogue is offline   Reply With Quote