Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2003, 07:31 PM   #1
mistral4543
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

My home (well, technically my parents' ) will soon be undergoing a little renovation (eg, changing of window grilles, replacement of board ceiling, minimising of front door, maybe installation of another bathroom). My mum is cool with the idea of me paying for my own renovation cost, to do up the room of my dreams That naturally started off several bouts of blissful daydreaming (heh, hopefully my bosses didn't see the difference [img]tongue.gif[/img] )...

I started off wanting a cosy countryside theme (ie, wood-ish wardrobes, bedside table and desk), very much like what you'd see when you check into a hotel room or bed-and-breakfast. Add some yellow light, and I could imagine myself feeling really relaxed and happy, walking into that room every evening, after a hard day's work.

That was until we went window-shopping last weekend at a lighting store. The moment I saw the spotlights there, I sort of knew I was hooked. It seems so stylish, classic and fun to have them in your very own bedroom [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] But that also means that I'd have to modify my earlier countryside concept. Somehow, I think spotlights go with a more clinical, futuristic setting... also, can anyone tell me if it's not practical to have spotlights in the first place?? (eg, is the heat/lighting too intense, etc. etc.)

I'd very much like to hear your own views of what your perfect bedroom would be like (please feel free to throw in the details), if you'd care to share them. I need as many ideas and advice as I can get!
Old 09-15-2003, 08:41 PM   #2
SecretMaster
Apophis

Spotlights in a countryside theme, my primary concern would be the brightness. Eventually it could get irrating. Maybe for those spotlights you could have one of those knobs that adjusts the brightness, so one day you could have a dim room and the other a really bright one. Personally, one of those adjustable thingies might be good for spotlights. A good idea might be to put the spotlights on the ceiling, (I'd imagine them on the side for some reason), to imitate the bright sun on a beautiful day, with a fan to create peaceful zephyrs, almost like your outside.

For the rustic view, spotlights are accepatble, after all it's what you want. Seems like a good idea, and personally, for flooring, I'd go with a wood floor rather than carpet.
Old 09-17-2003, 05:47 AM   #3
mistral4543

Thanks very much for your taking time to comment, SecretMaster. I appreciate it. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-17-2003, 06:38 AM   #4
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

i've got spotlights in my kitchen and they're annoyingly directional, cast shadows and are too bright when you look at them

i've heard very good things about white ceilings and free-standing or wall-mounted uplighters - units that are opaque so you don't get direct light from the bulb - haven't got round to trying it yet tho' . . .
Old 09-17-2003, 07:12 AM   #5
Horatio

Quote:
Originally posted by Armen:
i've got spotlights in my kitchen and they're annoyingly directional, cast shadows and are too bright when you look at them
I have the same problem. They were there when I moved in, and instead of looking cool they only light up small areas of the room and everywhere else is dim.
Old 09-17-2003, 08:44 AM   #6
mistral4543

Arrow

Good thing I asked for opinions here then... looks like I need to reconsider the spotlights [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]
Old 09-17-2003, 09:43 AM   #7
cloud ff7 38
User suspended until [Nov26]

This is what i would do first expand like 20 feet off then no windows and painted black cover the walls with plasma tvs and 6 big screens hook up my consels on the big screens then get a t3 line in my room a router to hook up to all five computers get a futon and a king size water bed then cut off into a bathroom and convert my closet to a kitchen with a fridge and a stove a few cabnets.
Old 09-17-2003, 11:18 AM   #8
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
A T3? Good heavens, why would you want something so expensive? A DSL does the same speed when you're only running it off of one computer. DSL only remotely could possibly get slow if you have a lot of computers running off the same one. T3's as I recall (more or less accurately), are used for large network internet connection with tons of computers hooked up that all run at DSL speeds.

Let's see, My dreams bedroom? well for right now I've got it already. Now you want my dream living/family room? We're talking mucho deneiros here.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Old 09-17-2003, 12:49 PM   #9
Horatio

Quote:
Originally posted by mistral4543:
Good thing I asked for opinions here then... looks like I need to reconsider the spotlights [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]
If you really want them, make sure there are a lot of them in a small space. Trying to have three in a large room will just mess the whole place up. Good luck! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 09-17-2003, 03:30 PM   #10
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

My dream bedroom has a plasma TV, tile floor, and a simple unadorned high wooden bed. A standing wrought-iron lamp, a nice bay window, a comfortable leather reading chair, a lava lamp, and Shannon Elizabeth and Angelina Jolee provide sensible, useful decoration.