Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2001, 12:50 PM   #1
Balgin
Elminster

For those of you who've been paying attention the BG series of games do not devide experience equally. They simmply devide it and any remainder are given out, one at a time down the party marching order. So, when an encounter starts you can pretty much forget about the formations and marching orders since the characters will be busy rushing around saving each other. As soon as things get nasty put the party magic user in front to soak up marginal left over experience, next place those who have almost equally high level requirements behind the spellcaster (Rangers and Paladins generally fill this gap) followed the the rest in order of requirements (or preferences). In this way you'll find that they'll be almost equal levels most of the time (this is actually bad for game balance) and you can switch the order to equalise experience instead. This can also be done prior to conversations when experience is about to be handed out. Remember, creatures and NPC's don't talk to the leader but the first character that they see, so you can send a charismatic character ahead but have a lesser character gain more experience from it. I have tested this with a party of six, and with a party of four and my theory has proven true. I hope that many of you find this useful.

------------------
Balgin, the Dwarf
Balgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2001, 10:43 PM   #2
Alaric
Manshoon

Thanks!!!! I also wondered why my Paladin and Ranager had different amounts of experience points. The Paladin is in the front and the Ranger is in the back and the Paladin would level up before the Ranger would. Thanks again!!!!
Alaric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2001, 07:12 AM   #3
Balgin
Elminster

No problem, I noticed this a few years ago but didn't bother with messing around with party formations to equalise experience, now that I have I get more balanced parties. Glad to have helped out.

------------------
Balgin, the Dwarf
Old 07-07-2001, 10:01 PM   #4
Balgin
Elminster

Back up to the top for those who missed this first time round.

------------------
Balgin, the Dwarf