Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2005, 08:31 PM   #1
Q'alooaith
Emerald Dragon

Well we've had a list of underated spell's recently, so I was just wondering..

What spell's do you find totaly usless, and how do you think they could be improved..

They don't need to be totaly ineffective to make this list, but just so usless that they could do with a good tweak to be added to your spell's list..

Just shout em out, pref make a little list of the spell's you find most usless, why they are such and how you think they might be improved..

This is your chance to influence a spell overhaul, don't be shy.
Old 02-13-2005, 08:37 PM   #2
Brainless One
Zhentarim Guard

INFRAVISION. That's the most obvious choice. If you have practically any non-human in your group, you can have constant infravision. So why waste a perfectly good magic missile to have a spell like this? And you can pause at any time, so it's not like being able to see them clearly will help you too well, though it may help a little. I guess it could be made better by just plain removing it, so that people who are new to the game don't waste spell slots on it. That's all that jumps to mind right off the bat.
-Brainless One
Brainless One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 08:41 PM   #3
solace in fire
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Goodberry. I dont even have words to express how... absolutely pointless this spell is.
solace in fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 09:46 PM   #4
mountain_hare

Colour Spray. Although pretty, it is totally useless.

Chill Touch and Shocking Grasp are worthless as well.
Old 02-13-2005, 10:42 PM   #5
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Detect Evil/Know Alignment. I've never ever found a use for this spell
Sir Goulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 01:02 AM   #6
Brainless One
Zhentarim Guard

Detect Evil I sometimes use when I'm a paladin and have plenty to spare. It lets me know if there's any evil people worth lots of XP that I forgot to kill before I leave the area. And I remembered another, I think there is a spell that is like Mirror Image, except you only get one illusion instead of the usual, about 6. Or maybe it was a nightmare. Either way, that spell needs some serious help, and shouldn't have been added.
-Brainless One
Brainless One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 04:46 AM   #7
Dace De'Briago
Silver Dragon

I actually found colour spray to be pretty useful in BG1 and PnP games.

If anything, it's underrated.

Also, with regards to detect evil/know alignment, there is one Paladin specific quest where it can come in great use roleplaying-wise.

[ 02-14-2005, 04:47 AM: Message edited by: Dace De'Briago ]
Dace De'Briago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 05:15 AM   #8
Link
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Brainless One:
Detect Evil I sometimes use when I'm a paladin and have plenty to spare. It lets me know if there's any evil people worth lots of XP that I forgot to kill before I leave the area. And I remembered another, I think there is a spell that is like Mirror Image, except you only get one illusion instead of the usual, about 6. Or maybe it was a nightmare. Either way, that spell needs some serious help, and shouldn't have been added.
-Brainless One
I think you're talking about the level 1 Mage spell Reflected Image. And yes, that would be quite a useless spell, indeed. Non Detection (Level 3, Mage) is another one I find quite useless, as well as Farsight (Level 4, Mage), Command (Level 1, Priest), Aid (Level 2, Priest).

There are loads of spells that I have my doubts about, though, a lot of them in the priests' portfolio.

Goal: Beijing 2008
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 09:56 AM   #9
Zarr
Symbol of Cyric

I agree with all those choices except Farsight. This spell can be very useful. If your scouting ahead and you find a group of powerful enemies you can cast farsight and send in a horde of summons and due to the farsight spell you can control them even though your party is very far away! Useful! This means there is no risk to your party and often enemy spell casters use and waste alot of their most powerful spells on your summons. You can then send in your party and kick the enemies asses! It's just like Wizard Eye only it can't be dispelled!

My vote for an ineffective spell goes to Clairvoyance. How often do you need to know the lay out of the map before you explore it? Nearly every map is easy to explore and the spell doesn't even reveal enemies. The only area I could find this useful is perhaps the Forest of Tethir which can be difficult to explore first time. overall it's a useless spell!
Old 02-14-2005, 11:51 AM   #10
Link
Jack Burton

Well, I like Clairvoyance because I'm a perfectionist. I hate it when part of the map is still obscured by the fog of war, especially when it's a part I can't reach with my party. The solution for a problem like that is Clairvoyance. I use it quite often, to be honest.

Goal: Beijing 2008
Link is offline   Reply With Quote