Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2001, 08:06 PM   #1
Ranthenae
Elite Waterdeep Guard

My bard has the ability to write magic into her book, but when I try to cast the magic, everything is blacked out and I am unable to cast. Is this supposed to happen or is it a glitch?
Ranthenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2001, 01:26 PM   #2
Khanar
Manshoon

They work just like a mage, you can write the spells in the book, but cannot cast them until you get to a specified experience level that enables you to cast spells of a particular level. Check the spell casting tables in the manual for the Bard for more information. Bards are different than mages, so make sure to look at the right table.

Ooops, I wasn't paying close enough attention and I just thought of the problem. But Bonnie beat me to it. Yes, the problem is probably the armor. Could be something else, but I doubt it since it is a bard, but I do now there's some spell from Clerics at least that disable your spells for awhile-the one I'm thinking of is Prayer I believe.

[This message has been edited by Khanar (edited 07-09-2001).]
Khanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2001, 02:56 PM   #3
Bonnie
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Is your bard wearing armor? You might have to take it off before you cast a spell, this is annoying, I know, but you might find some chainmail in the Severed Hand that will allow your bard to cast spells while worn. Or you could try seaching for some custom items that will allow your bard to cast spells without having to take the armor off. I have made chainmail that allows a bard or fighter/mage to cast spells without it having to be taken off, others have made such items too.

Pity bards can't wear mage robes...
Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2001, 06:14 PM   #4
Ranthenae
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks guys for your suggestions. I will admit that I had a blonde moment and it never even crossed my mind to take off my armor. I will try this and see if it works.
Ranthenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2001, 02:51 AM   #5
Leafy
Zhentarim Guard

when you get up to the really high levels; you'd do well to teach your bard "tenser's transformation" which will make him a fighter of the same level. This will also blacken out the spells; but bard songs and bard items can still be used. My bard finally hit level 30 and when she casts tenser's transform, her hitpoints fly up to 236! now that really redeems the rogue class.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote