Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2001, 03:56 AM   #1
Manwe
Manshoon

I'd like to know in which weapon i should be specialized in.
Are there any good weapons in the game? What's the best?
Thanks!

------------------
"Oh King to whom all birds are dear, speed now this feathered shaft, and recall some pity for the Noldor in their need."

-Fingon's prayer to Manwë as he prepared to shoot Maedhros
Manwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2001, 10:15 AM   #2
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

In Icewind Dale, if you have a Paladin, the best weapon (IMO) is Pale Justice, which you get near the end of the game. It's a +7 (!) Longsword...does some major damage. Make sure you examine it, because it looks like a normal longsword, though, and you may be prone to chuck it without reading its description.

Other things I found useful:
    [*]The +2 Throwing Axe (unlimited +2 missile weapon, worth putting a point or two into Axe skill)[*]An axe that you pick up in Upper Dorn's Deep that's +5 against cadaverous undead (bye-bye, zombies! )[*]The Blade of Aihonen (get at the end of IWD, great for that final battle, I think it's under the "Great Sword" category)[*]Sseth (the longbow from Dragon's Eye, gets off VERY rapid arrows, and it's available soon on in the game.)[*]The Crossbow of Speed (3 bolts per round, found in lower Dorn's Deep).[/list]
    What you shouldn't put too much in:

1. Halberds. Never found a decent one throughout IWD, could change in HoW.
    2. Maces. Likewise. Have your Cleric or Fighter/Cleric prof/specialize in Hammers instead.
    3. Quarterstaff (unless you're a druid and want Arundel's staff). If you're a mage, put your first prof into Missile weapons (so when you're out of spells, use bullet stones from a distance early on)...then, at your next prof level (6th, I think), put your next prof point in Daggers. There's a cool dagger in the game that gives mages additional 1st, 2nd, and 3rd level spell memorization slots. Also, there's far better daggers throughout the game than staves.

Make sure to give EVERYONE at least 1 prof point in some form of missile weapon (bow, crossbow, missile, axe (for the throwing axe). Most monsters in IWD can be dropped before they ever get close to you, and missile weapons are great spell disruptors on spell casting opponents.

Hope this helps!

------------------
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2001, 12:22 PM   #3
Manwe
Manshoon

Thanks alot!
Do you know if i can forge the broken sword i found in the beginning of the game to an item? (The sword a man wanted from a sirene or whatever) I kept it, didn't want the man to have it. =)

------------------
"Oh King to whom all birds are dear, speed now this feathered shaft, and recall some pity for the Noldor in their need."

Old 10-11-2001, 12:57 PM   #4
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

That's the sword of Aihonen, Manwe. You have to give it to Jhonen in the Prologue (start at Easthaven) and you get it back from him, fully fixed and operational, in Chapter 6 (near endgame). Good thing is, it transfers over to HoW and Luremaster as well.

Cheers,

------------------
Old 10-11-2001, 06:39 PM   #5
crazy_diamond
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Make sure that you put as many points on the large swords as possible as you will find a ton of good longswords in the game. Also, if your lucky, you will find the life-stealing dagger in HoW. It is +2 and has a chance of casting a cure light wounds on the character using it.

------------------
You wore out your welcome with random precision.
crazy_diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2001, 06:42 PM   #6
crazy_diamond
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Almost forgot, make sure to keep Conlan's hammer when you get it as it is really useful against the iron golems you will face.

------------------
You wore out your welcome with random precision.
crazy_diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2001, 11:28 PM   #7
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by crazy_diamond:
Almost forgot, make sure to keep Conlan's hammer when you get it as it is really useful against the iron golems you will face.

It's great against the Iron Golems, and also the numerous giants (Ettins, Frost Giants, Cyclops) you come up against as well. I kept it in my inventory the whole time, and didn't regret doing so.

------------------
Old 10-12-2001, 12:56 PM   #8
JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

Another good How weapon is the returning throwing dagger. Man was i glad that i gave my thief a slot in daggers when i found this. Know he can use the dagger instead of a bow and can have a buckler equiped aswell.

JR

Damned i lost cousin Jan's techno gloves
JR Jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2001, 06:41 PM   #9
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

Can't stress enough how important missile weapons are in this game Manwe. They really are and equaliser at times and a definite advantage in others. Plus, with HoW and TotL installed there are some lethal (cross-)bows out there.

------------------
Making running away an art form
Lord Brass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2001, 07:10 PM   #10
Manwe
Manshoon

That's sad, i didn't give the broken sword to that guy Jhonen.. are there any other way to get that sword of Aihonen?

------------------