Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2002, 01:07 PM   #1
Lewzbel
The Magister

I've seen some clever ideas out there regarding magic use and strategies, and I thought it would be cool to put a bunch all in one place. For example, giving a spellcaster maximum fire resistance and then casting fireball at himself, or having a jester go invisible and then use his confusion bardsong in a group of enemies (they sometimes detect you though). A fun and evil idea I've seen mentioned is to summon fiends in crowded areas for kicks on a Friday night. Ideas that you might not think of unless you were really trying. I know you've got some brilliant suggestions.

Another area of interest involves cumulative spells. For example. we all know that greater malison is not, whereas doom is. I recently discovered that resist fire/cold, a level 2 druid spell I never used before, is cumulative, so it works quite well for the fireball strategy above (I think). And thank goodness Lower Resistance is cumulative as well.

How about spell sequencer ideas? Any creative combos there?
Lewzbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 01:14 PM   #2
Lord Delarue
The Magister

It's The darkest day only so if you don't want to read this one, use ice lance, it'll freeze about anything in mostly 1 or 2 tries, it's great for any great monster, but for SOA, i don't know any good ones
Old 04-30-2002, 01:57 PM   #3
Horatio
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

That jester thing is could, and I think you could prevent detection if u used the cloak of N-D.
I haven't done this, but it might work: Cast Time Stop, then do Fireball. Move ya Mage away from the area, and everyone inside it are fried.
Old 04-30-2002, 04:41 PM   #4
Lewzbel
The Magister

Come on, I KNOW there are tons of great ideas out there. I mean, sure, we could just use our magic missiles and our flame arrows, but remember how frustrating it was the first time you encountered a backstabbing thief with invisibility rings and potions? In the words of Principal Skinner's mom, they'll kill you three times before you hit the ground. Lately I've been trying to experiment with lesser used spells, such as Blindness. It seems to always work. Now, I don't have a thief in my group that is any good at hiding in shadows (Nalia), but if you did, I'm thinking you could just blind a powerful monster and then backstab him to kingdom come. If he can't see you, you should be able to hide in shadows again and again, no?

Another good one is Spook, which improves with level. I think enemies receive a -2 to their save for every level or two of experience you have, so when you get up there it is almost sure to work. Now, once they are running away from you I guess that is when you use your magic missiles and flame arrows. I had a certain red dragon afraid of ME! With a first level spell.

As for the time stop idea, sounds good. I confess I've never gotten to that level. I keep starting over.

[ 04-30-2002, 04:42 PM: Message edited by: Lewzbel ]
Lewzbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 05:28 PM   #5
F. Gottwald
Manshoon

cast spell trap. cast project image. have your image cast lots of summons and whatever else you want. have your image cast several lvl 9 spells at yourself.

have your image/simulacrum use scarce charged items for you (like protection from magic scrolls)

use cloak of mirroring and cloak of reflection to bounce lightning bolt to and fro (works nice with sequencers with 3 bolts... almost instant fried dragon)

turn into a mustard jelly with polymorph self and laugh at those silly enemy wizards

cast sanctuary and blade barrier, cutting those pesky opponents into itty little bits without opposition

make liberal use of spook... the penalty to saving throws makes it an excellent stalling spell

don´t imitate npc wizards and use sequencers for offense... 1 skull trap from contingency and 3 from a sequencer killed irenicus before he got his first spell off, works against just about anything

m
Old 04-30-2002, 05:35 PM   #6
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

For a Cleric/Mage, the TimeStop-Harm combo has always appealed to me. Gotta get through the Stoneskins first, though.

For a Priest, try Symbol, Stun to give your Harm a better chance of scoring a hit. Tossing a Harm in the middle of an Insect spell is an instant kill. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Flame Arrow and Melf's Acid Arrow are QUITE potent at high levels, MAA especially against spellcasters.

For some reason, I can't cast Skull Traps in my Triggers/Sequencers. I can PUT them there, but when I fire them off, I just get "One of the spells has failed."

Combine Fireshield (Red), Incendiary Cloud, and all your summoned Fire Elementals. Toasty!