Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2001, 05:33 PM   #1
Troll Slayer
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Everyone seems to love Chromatic orb once their amge reaches high levels. I don't get it. With a +6 to the saving throw of the target, how often does it ever really do an instant kill? It would seem that on powerful enemies, which have low saving throws, you would need to cast the cleric spell doom (-2 saving throws) and greater mailison just to get rid of the penalty. To have thoese spells work, the creaters magic resistance and spell protections need to be dropped. So now we are looking at several spells being cast, just for the chance to do an instant kill. Maybe on weak enemies its a good spell, but I can't see how it would work that great aginst a lich, dragon, golem,or high level wizard. Could anyone explain it to me? I want to understand the spells fun potential, and right now I don't.

------------------
Best to remain silent and thought a fool, then to open ones mouth and remove all doubt
Old 07-24-2001, 05:39 PM   #2
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

An over-rated spell yep
Old 07-24-2001, 05:47 PM   #3
oldbittercraig
Elminster

there's always a 5% chance (1 on a 20) that it will succeed! I could'nt see using it as any more than a desperate gamble...
Old 07-24-2001, 06:17 PM   #4
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

For a lvl1 spell, 5% is not so bad.

------------------

Those who watch their backs meet death from the front- Dreamer128 Demonslayer of the OHF.
Old 07-24-2001, 07:23 PM   #5
DarkTemplar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I would agree that it is not a lot of use vs people with good saves / magic resistance, so dont use it against them! It is very effective against weaker fighter types, i can recall having one of my mages begin chased by a group of bandits, he cast six orbs and nailed five of them. (Yes i know my fighters could have mowed them, but they we having a nice wander somewhere else).

------------------
Those who ph33r the darkness have never seen what the light can do
Old 07-24-2001, 08:14 PM   #6
trux

It's a first level spell, it's not meant to crush the opposition every time. Of course it's not gonna immediately kill a powerful villian (dragon, beholder, etc.)

Chromatic Orb has a little more playability in PnP D&D, as the mage gets to choose the effect it will have on the opponent at casting time (i.e. choosing blindness, stun, instant death, etc.)

------------------
trux
Old 07-24-2001, 08:24 PM   #7
Starkiller
The Magister

Ok, maybe this doesnt happen to everyone, but even with a high level party, think about how often your warriors critically miss. That is the same chance the spell has of succeeding, and as a first level spell you can memorize a bunch of them. 1 in 20 is about 1 in 7 battles if you spend just 3 slots on the spell, and only use then on difficult battles like I do. They do a little damage, not too much less than a magic missile if you are lucky and have a chance to kill outright, not bad if you ask me, especially on those annoying guys like Djinns which turn into gas and then reform with full hp when you kill them since this kills them permanently. Finally, if you store a couple in a minor spell sequencor which can only store up to 2nd level spells anyway, then right as combat starts you can do a really quick attack in addition to whatever other spell you want to cast since it is a special ability, and it will damage them, stopping any spell they are casting and have 2 5% chances to kill them. Not bad for level 1 if you ask me. Sure, its a gamble, but hey, lifes no fun if you don't roll the dice every now and then.

------------------
"Not everything ends the way you think it should"
Old 07-24-2001, 08:25 PM   #8
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

Like trux said, it's not MEANT to be a uber-spell.... some people just have a prefrence for it, like many do for a veriety of spells

***though on worthless creatures you cant be arsed killing it works a treat

------------------
Old 07-25-2001, 03:45 AM   #9
Icing Death
Elite Waterdeep Guard

That minor sequence idea isn't bad, I mix it with magic missile sometimes
Chromatic Orb is an ok spell, but IMO not to be relied on. I use it as a last resort, once all my spells are depleted, in hope that I will kill a tough foe out of luck. Hey, it's worked b4
Old 07-25-2001, 09:32 AM   #10
Redblueflare
Galvatron

It's not supposed to be a power spell. But it works great against a few enemies. Do you hate umber hulks? Kills them instantly. Sometimes works against vampires too.

------------------
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I just don't have to listen.