Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2003, 10:35 AM   #1
petertmorgan
Dungeon Master

I seen some posts on the board that suggest that, for example, a power level 7 Magic Shield actually gives better protection than a lower power level. From the manual etc. it seems it only makes it last longer.

Does any one have any data on this - should I be casting all my shield spells, armorplate, x-ray? chameleon? at power level seven for the best effect?

I had been using around level 5 just to preserve spell points - I usually find I am running out of spell points and need to rest or otherwise mana up before my longlasting protection spells run out.
petertmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 10:41 AM   #2
Scatter
Symbol of Cyric

Physical protection doesn't improve with power level, but magical protection does. Just look at your char stats when under their influence, and check your reststances/AC.
And get some Mana Stones! They're rechargable if you don't use all three charges--i usually load up 2-3 for each caster.
Scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 07:18 PM   #3
sultan

i can confirm what scatter says about element, soul, and magic shields. all provide more protection, not just longer, for each power level they are cast at.

however, i believe armorplate also provides more protection, not just longer, at higher casting levels. for example, a scroll of armorplate (lvl 4) will provide +2 to AC and vs. penetrate, but casting it at lvl 7 will provide +4 to both.
Old 09-16-2003, 08:37 AM   #4
Loudhy
Drizzt Do'Urden

I also believe that a higher level "Missile Shield" provides more protection
than a lower one. The highlevel, shooting bugs in the swamp easily hit through Lvl 3 shields but they almost never hit you with a Lvl 7 Missile Shield up.
Loudhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 12:38 PM   #5
petertmorgan
Dungeon Master

Thanks for all the replies!

I began casting magic protection spells at level 7 and I am noticeing the difference.
Curious about the armor plate and missile shield, perhaps I will check this out.
petertmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 07:07 PM   #6
Halsey
Dungeon Master

For a while I had two identical games running on two machines to test the theory on some of the 'canned' encounters. Having run the combats several times, there's no doubt that higher levels of missile shield are more effective - not just lasting longer. Also note that if you're throwing spells with your Bard - they are not always at the highest level possible...this applies to spells like 'Charm' as well.
Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 12:07 PM   #7
Wereboar
Baaz Draconian

According to the in-game help (right click on the spells), x-ray, detect secrets and bless only increase in duration, not in power. This isn't mentioned for the other buff/protection spells, so they raise in power.
Wereboar is offline   Reply With Quote