Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2003, 04:34 PM   #1
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

How many people here have actually played these games?
Personally, Wing Commander III and IV both rank high on my lists of favourite games. Although IV got some really bad critique, I replayed more often then I can remember (will probably order the book next X-mas). V on the other hand, did get possitive reviews, yet it was at the same time the worst game from the series.
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 05:04 PM   #2
Tancred
White Dragon

I played 'em, Dreamer, but then you do know that... played Wing Commander on my old Amiga 14 years ago, got WCII when I upgraded to a PC, then got my hands on WCIII and was... frankly rather amazed at how *good* it was.

I rather liked V anyway... the acting quality went down a bit, but then III and IV had Malcom McDowell, Tim Curry and John Rhys-Davies, so go figure.

Does anyone know if there exists a way to play WCIII on an XP-run machine? I have had no luck with my old copy whatsoever...

[ 10-12-2003, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: Tancred ]
Old 10-12-2003, 05:12 PM   #3
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Tancred:
I played 'em, Dreamer, but then you do know that... played Wing Commander on my old Amiga 14 years ago, got WCII when I upgraded to a PC, then got my hands on WCIII and was... frankly rather amazed at how *good* it was.

I rather liked V anyway... the acting quality went down a bit, but then III and IV had Malcom McDowell, Tim Curry and John Rhys-Davies, so go figure.

Does anyone know if there exists a way to play WCIII on an XP-run machine? I have had no luck with my old copy whatsoever...
I think I managed with IV on ME. And don't leave Mark 'Skywalker' Hamil and Tom 'why can't I get a real movie part' Wilson out of your list. They are pretty good. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-12-2003, 05:38 PM   #4
Tancred
White Dragon

Oh, I'm not leaving them out. But they're also in V, yet sidelined to much more trivial roles. Shame.

Tom Wilson - no 'real' acting credits?!? The man was Biff/Griff/Buford Tannen! [img]smile.gif[/img] That's at LEAST as famous as Luke Skywalker!

Well... maybe not. But at least as well-known as Sullah from the Indiana Jones series, or Alex from Clockwork Orange...

Oh, and not forgetting Jason Bernard as well, who was pretty much the archetype of every loud angry police captain in any 80's police movie anywhere. May he rest in peace.

[ 10-12-2003, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: Tancred ]
Old 10-12-2003, 06:27 PM   #5
andrewas
Harper

Wing commander? I flew from the 'claw, the Concordia (The only starship thats ever been *sunk* under me), the Bonnie Heather, the Victory (Now that was fun. Shame Hobbes went rogue) and the Midway(ho. hum. more of the same) and the Cereberus (more of the same, but without the bad acting)

From this you can tell that I missed wing4 (cos the demo virused my comp and my dad refused to pirate it for me, and I was too skint to buy a real version, and Tie Fighter is better anyway) and that I spent *way* too much time playing the rest.

I did get wing armada as well - IIRC the only multiplayer WC. And it was immense fun being the kilrathi for a change and slaughtering the hapless terrans from cloak. The strategy game had its charms as well, shame it wasn't developed properly.
Old 10-12-2003, 06:43 PM   #6
Tancred
White Dragon

Damn... I remember TCS Lexington from WC4, but what was the name of the Border Worlds Carrier? I can't remember either.
Old 10-12-2003, 06:44 PM   #7
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Tancred:
Damn... I remember TCS Lexington from WC4, but what was the name of the Border Worlds Carrier? I can't remember either.
The Intrepid [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2003, 09:42 AM   #8
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

I have played almost all of the WC game series, including WC Academy and another: one part strategy and part sims...can't seems to remember the name though.

IMO, WC III was not bad but part IV really shines, in terms of storyline and cutscenes. IIRC, part IV was the last one produced by Chris Roberts. I think he left Origin before they decided to do WC V, a.k.a WC: Prophecy.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:50 AM   #9
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Paladin2000:

IMO, WC III was not bad but part IV really shines, in terms of storyline and cutscenes. IIRC, part IV was the last one produced by Chris Roberts. I think he left Origin before they decided to do WC V, a.k.a WC: Prophecy.
Yeah, Roberts started his own firm after WCIV; Digital Anvil. Which has (among others) games like Star and Freelancer on its name. Starlancer was a big dissapointment for me, as was WCV. They wanted 'less movies, more gameplay'. What a disaster. The game was horrible.
Old 10-15-2003, 12:35 PM   #10
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer128:
Yeah, Roberts started his own firm after WCIV; Digital Anvil. Which has (among others) games like Star and Freelancer on its name. Starlancer was a big dissapointment for me, as was WCV. They wanted 'less movies, more gameplay'. What a disaster. The game was horrible.
And to add another twist to the story, Roberts left Digital Anvil before finishing Freelancer, therefore although the game was a brain child of his, wasn't credited to his account.

Oh, I bought Starlancer too but didn't manage to finish it because the long missions was quite tough and frustrating. Luckily Freelancer learnt from that lesson and incorporated mid-game (mid-mission actually) autosave.