Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2003, 11:48 AM   #1
thorfin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Howdy Ya'll
(writing from Texas)
Just wanted to share with you how much fun this party is to run...
1/2 elf bard
elf F/T
Human fighter will dual to druid...
I have HOW installed and have just finished the TotFG...I know it is early, but this group compliments each other so well...It is awesome how well they do together ...I thought I would have more trouble than I have had, but I have instead had a great time with them...any try a similar group???
Later
thorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 01:23 PM   #2
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Yes,

Fighter/Theif - human
Fighter/Druid - half-elf
Fighter(6)/Mage(x) - elf

One of the best parties I ever ran through the game with.

Also did a solo which ended up being very good as well. Was actually not as hard as I thought it would be.

Fighter/Mage/Cleric - human

[ 12-17-2003, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 01:49 PM   #3
thorfin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for the reply Pritchke...
I wonder if I am making a mistake duallng the f->d instead of multiclassing her...
Oh, and a question, did you ever feel you really missed the cleric..everyone seems to say I am going to be weak without a cleric and a true mage, but I have been amazed at how well the bard can wear several hats, including the mages...and the cleric I really haven't missed...but turn undead never really had much draw for me...

Any good druid only items...
Old 12-17-2003, 02:20 PM   #4
pritchke

You may or may not miss a cleric in the areas that contain undead. A good cleric will make most of these areas fairly easy with turn undead used in combination with undead ward. Despite the challenge that these areas present without a cleric, druids do have a few tricks(spells) of their own to use against undead and are probably more to your likening than the turn undead ability.

You should be fine with the fighter dueling to a druid. When the druid gets the fighting skills back it will be worth it. A disadvantage to muticlass is I can only put 2 points in any weapon skill, while with a dual you can get 4 or even 5 points in your weapon of choice before dualing.

I did not miss the cleric at all, but had healing spells the whole way as my druid was a multiclass. Most of the undead areas were more challenging but that is because they didn't all explode upon meeting my cleric so I had to put some more thought into a battle plan. You will gain some healing powers back when the bard reaches level 11, but I would not worry about it. It may be costly but fill up on potions if you need to.

[ 12-17-2003, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
Old 12-17-2003, 03:15 PM   #5
NobleNick
Quintesson

thorfin,

You will like your DC Fighter/Druid! I do not think it is a mistake to DC, for the very reasons that prithke gave, and more. Just remember to stack your PPs in exactly one ranged weapon and exactly one melee weapon (weapons that a Druid can use, of course) and you'll do great.

I'd wait until Fighter 9 if taking this character into HoW: The extra PP (not to mention the extra HPs).

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 05:02 PM   #6
thorfin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for the great replies!
I was going to dual at 7, but am now fairly well convinced that 9 is what I will strive for (HOW is installed)...
The only real deviation, and I know everyone says not to do this, is that I am putting points in one missle and 2 melee...I know I am giving up a lot, but rpwise I like the druid to use a scimitar normally but swing a bone-breaking hammer for those undead, and just whenever the mood strikes her...I like the diversity despite the fact that the diversity is "costly"
My bard just seems to help in all areas...in a bigger group (except for the blade in BGII), the bard just seemed like a minor character...but with a smaller group, the bard's talents actually seem to shine and make him invaluable..I use him as a mage when I need offensive spells, as a fighter when someone else needs to escape from melee, and as an archer as enemies close...also, with the charisma, he is the diplomat...
Old 12-17-2003, 06:14 PM   #7
pritchke

Quote:
Originally posted by thorfin:
Thanks for the great replies!
I was going to dual at 7, but am now fairly well convinced that 9 is what I will strive for (HOW is installed)...
The only real deviation, and I know everyone says not to do this, is that I am putting points in one missle and 2 melee...I know I am giving up a lot, but rpwise I like the druid to use a scimitar normally but swing a bone-breaking hammer for those undead, and just whenever the mood strikes her...I like the diversity despite the fact that the diversity is "costly"
My bard just seems to help in all areas...in a bigger group (except for the blade in BGII), the bard just seemed like a minor character...but with a smaller group, the bard's talents actually seem to shine and make him invaluable..I use him as a mage when I need offensive spells, as a fighter when someone else needs to escape from melee, and as an archer as enemies close...also, with the charisma, he is the diplomat...
Thorfin, the best weapon a druid has against undead is "Moonblade".

This spell summons forth a silent, weightless sword made of moonlight that extends 4 feet from the caster's hand. The moonblade is considered a +4 weapon for determining what creatures it can damage, though the bonus does not apply to THAC0. In addtion, due to the insubstantial nature of the Moonblade, melee bonuses from strength do not apply. The strike of a moonblade drains a target's vitality, inflicting 1D12+4 points of damage, and an addtional 1D12 points to undead, who are particularly susceptible. A successful strike also temporarily scrambles magic, causing any spells the target casts in the next round to fail.

While for the early going it might be difficult, I would not concentrate to much on hammers (I would say put one point in hammers just for the early going and concentrate on the other two) as later you will have something better for any undead. At least it is something else to think about.

Than again there are a few critters that can only be hit by crushing damage so a few points in a couple melee weapons is not a bad idea.

[ 12-17-2003, 08:04 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]