Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2003, 09:14 AM   #1
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

Does anyone use a laptop for games? If so, what do you recommend? Give me some specs or even a manufacturer and model number. What I've come up with in my research is Pentuim IVm, 2 gig or higher; 512 meg of ram; hard drive of at least 20gig, (I really don't need a huge hard drive, don't use even half the space on my 30 gig desktop); 15" or 16" xga monitor, 32 or 64 meg video card shared or unshared. Does this sound pretty good? Oh and I want at least 2 USB ports.
Old 06-16-2003, 09:17 AM   #2
Cristian
Emerald Dragon

dont use them for games....
Old 06-16-2003, 09:21 AM   #3
harleyquinn
Symbol of Cyric

I use mine for games, although it's not what I had bought it for. It's about 2 years old. It's a Dell Inspiron 8000, Pentium Celeron, 5 GB hard drive, 64 MB Ram (although I want to increase that). I haven't had an issue yet with not being able to play any games with it. The only pain about playing on a laptop is that a) it gets warm fast, so I need to keep it where it can vent, and b) keep it plugged in when gaming, otherwise the battery runs out pretty quickly (within 2 hours, even though Dell claims it's an 8 hour battery). I've found the battery time is the time it'll last if all you're doing is checking email. If you do anything like writing word documentation, surf the web, or play games, the battery life sinks quickly.
Old 06-16-2003, 09:45 AM   #4
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

I have a Sony PCG. It's a year and a half old. It is my only home PC. I only own laptops. Pentium III 1 Gig, 256 Meg RAM, 15" screen, CD/RW / DVD. I don't know the vid card specs, but I've yet to install something it won't run.

Even though 256 Meg is the minimum for an XP machine, I have yet had reason to add another memory chip, and certainly would have if the inclination struck me.

If you do like I do, which is hook it up to a large monitor at home, the screen size may not be such an issue -- especially since it increases overall dimensions for when you are travelling.

Don't forget to leave the battery out of the machine when you're not travelling. Increases life drastically.
Old 06-16-2003, 03:19 PM   #5
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

Thanks for the input guys (and girl )! I have decided on a Toshiba 1135-s1552. It's a 2 ghz P4-m with 512 megs of ram, 64 meg graphics card (shared). They have it at COMPUSA for $1199.00 + tax. Also get a $100 rebate. It's not the best, but for what I want to do with it, it'll work. I really wanted an Alienware M-51, but I don't have $2600 to slap down on it. I found out Toshiba has a VERY good reputation for making a great computer too!
Old 06-16-2003, 03:51 PM   #6
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Toshibas rock. My younger sister-in-law is still working on my PII gray-box monster (officially voted the "Computer that looks like it was designed by Al Gore by Maxim). My wife's got a 2 1/2 yr-old Toshiba as well. They have good support, too from what I remember. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

If they're still making them the same way, the integrated modem and ethernet cards are 3 Com, memory upgrade is easy to install, and they run hot but never have overheating problems. You'll be quite happy.
Old 06-16-2003, 06:47 PM   #7
Reeka
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I have an Ispiron 600m and it is fantastic for games. I used to have an Isprion 4000 and could play everything but NWN on it because it didn't have a high-powed graphics card. The 600M does and it is great. I personally love having a lap top.

I can lie in bed and plays games, chat, post, whatever. Oh, and multiplay is not a problem with a lap top. I do it with Bardan all the time.
<b>Order of the Holy Flame</b><br /><i>Member of Clan HADB</i><br /><b>Laughing Hyena</b><br /><i>Clan Liaison, IW Peace Keeping Force</i><br /><i>[url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com/Forum/index.php?board=29\" target=\"_blank\">The Silver River VoiceChat!</a><br />Last Saturday of every month. <br />See the forum link for scheduling!<br /><b> </b><br /></i><br /><b>Admin and Co-Owner of [url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com\" target=\"_blank\">The Silver River</a></b><br />[url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com\" target=\"_blank\"></a>
Old 06-16-2003, 07:04 PM   #8
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Reeka:
I do it with Bardan all the time.
Resists.... childish.... comment. [img]graemlins/hidesbehindsofa.gif[/img]