Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2001, 01:37 AM   #1
Pennance
The Magister

Who, in your opinion, is the most powerful Mage in all of Faerun?

My vote goes to Manshoon of Zhentil Keep. You may kill him, but everytime his soul returns to one of his clones for reactivation. Plus you have to side with someone bad so that others will try and respond with Khelbon or Elminster...
Old 05-13-2001, 01:49 AM   #2
BladeMaster

I would have to say Szass Tamthe Zulkir of Necromancy (Red Wizard of Thay). As he is a Level 30 Necomancer were Manshoon is only a Level 18 Mage. Szass Tam is also a Lich.

------------------

Old 05-13-2001, 03:26 AM   #3
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Here's a list (excluding Elminster and Khelben Arunsun who everyone knows about)

Larloch the Shadowking. 46th level Netherese lich (evil)
Alassra Shentrantra, Chosen of Mystra and Simbul of Aglarond, 30th level sorceress (chaotic neutral).
Halaster Blackcloak, 30th level human wizard (evil)
Szass Tam, 30th level Zulkir of Necromancy (evil lich)
Laeral Silverhand, Lady Mage of Waterdeep, Chosen of Mystra, 24th level mage (good)
Endue Alustriel, High Lady of Silverymoon, Chosen of Mystra, 25th level mage (good)

FYI Manshoon of Zhentil Keep is a 19th level wizard with a lot of clone spells.

------------------
Old 05-13-2001, 04:26 AM   #4
Dramnek_Ulk

it must Have been Karsus 41st Level Arcanist, And he was the God of magic For A few minutes.
I thought Szass Tam was level 29?

------------------
"Then Bane, seeing the lifelessness and ruin in the middle of such beauty
smiled,
and spoke with a voice like that of carrion: "Let this place resonate with
new songs;
the cries of the warrior, the melody of clashing swords, the harmony of iron
shod
boots marching in unison over the stones, the crescendo of the death wail,
and the
chorus of the widow's lament. Let this place be a tapestry upon which I shall
paint
new scenes, and blood and ash shall be my pigments. These are the things that
I
cherish, and they shall dominate this place, as they do wherever the hearts of
men
are weak and quick to desire."

[This message has been edited by Dramnek_Ulk (edited 05-13-2001).]

Old 05-13-2001, 10:33 AM   #5
Draggor
Zhentarim Guard

Elminster you'd figure would have to be the most powerful, he's favoured by Mystra. I doubt we've seen the full spectrum of Elminsters abilities. H'd probably have assistance from other gods besides Mystra too. Cadderly also ends up pretty buff by the end of the cleric quintet, though he's more priest than mage. He seems a bit of both and has some unique abilities. Who can beat massive divinely granted powers?

------------------
Just when you thought it was safe to visit this board.

[This message has been edited by Draggor (edited 05-13-2001).]
Old 05-13-2001, 10:42 AM   #6
Leodrish
Elite Waterdeep Guard

If you go by ranc I believ the Symbul is two levels higher then her teacher and friend Elminster, but he's a thousand years and more older then her and has experience as both thief, warrior and priest of Mystra. I would say that he is the most powefull of Mystras chosen.
Old 05-13-2001, 11:09 AM   #7
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Here's a list (excluding Elminster and Khelben Arunsun who everyone knows about)

Larloch the Shadowking. 46th level Netherese lich (evil)
Alassra Shentrantra, Chosen of Mystra and Simbul of Aglarond, 30th level sorceress (chaotic neutral).
Halaster Blackcloak, 30th level human wizard (evil)
Szass Tam, 30th level Zulkir of Necromancy (evil lich)
Laeral Silverhand, Lady Mage of Waterdeep, Chosen of Mystra, 24th level mage (good)
Endue Alustriel, High Lady of Silverymoon, Chosen of Mystra, 25th level mage (good)

FYI Manshoon of Zhentil Keep is a 19th level wizard with a lot of clone spells.

Memnoch is Alassra the most powerful of the seven sisters. i knew she was an extremly powerful mage but is she the most powerful?

------------------

"I was born of darkness. My fathers eyes closed before mine opened. I am not of this world or the other, and I have the right to be what I am..."
Old 05-14-2001, 12:43 AM   #8
Pennance
The Magister

There was a whole book about Elminster (Making of a Mage), and it basically puts it that that Greenwood Fantasy Avatar has dualed into and out of every class there is. I HATE Elminster. Anywho, as far as levels go, they always vary from source to source. I don't doubt there are more powerful Mages out there, but last I heard Manshoon was 28th.

Cadderly's another I forgot about. He's got Mage and Priest spells due to his position with the Deneir (sp?) god. Very high profile.
Old 05-14-2001, 12:48 AM   #9
BladeMaster

Elminster is friend of my character Angel. And Manshoon sucks if he can let Shandril the only wielder of Spellfire that people know about kick his Black Network ass. Then I say Manshoon sucks.

------------------

Old 05-14-2001, 01:41 AM   #10
Gargoyle
Manshoon

I forgot all about Halaster, untill memnoch mentioned him, still I think I'd put my bets on Elminster due to his Godly assistance !

------------------

Time is only relevant if you have none !