Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2004, 04:26 PM   #1
Pyrenk
Symbol of Cyric

After a long break (mostly consisting of playing Diablo II, the traitor that I am [img]smile.gif[/img] ), I'm back with the BG series. I need a character suggestion for someone to take through the entire series, with a full party. The characters that I'm interested in at the moment are:

-Berserker (for the role-playing aspect, inspired by this comic: http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=040710).
-Archer (I have a fetish for the ToB crossbow [Firetooth, I think it was], and I just like Archers in general. I might also limit myself to the Elven gear for as long as I can-the bow, boots, etc.).
-Some sort of Bard, preferably Blade or Skald.
-Pure Kensai, possibly using throwing daggers/axes.
-Swashbuckler.
-A Cavalier (last resort?).

That's it, for now. Unless someone can make me consider another non-uber class, dual or multi, it has to be one of these. Don't bother suggesting Sorcerers, Cleric/Rangers, Inquisitors, Kensai dual-classes, and so on.

I'd also like party recommendations for both BGI and BGII. I'm looking for the party with the most amusing interactions, dialogues, situations, etc.

I'm giving the BG series one last chance before I quit for months. I'm bored of every game that I currently have, and I don't know what I should buy. My faith in BG rests in your hands.
Old 07-30-2004, 04:29 PM   #2
Pyrenk
Symbol of Cyric

Bleh, as I can't edit, I have to post again. These comics tie in with the one posted:

http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=040703

http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=040706

http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=040708

They preceed the first.
Old 07-30-2004, 04:42 PM   #3
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Do you have any mods installed? I say go with the Blade. He`s very powerful. I`ve soloed one and had sooooo much fun. He is overpowerd when used right. I suggest you download the Banter pack to get good one`s.

Party:
PC - Blade
Jan Jansen
Edwin
Korgan
Viconia
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 04:46 PM   #4
Pyrenk
Symbol of Cyric

Every time I come back, your post count rises by ~1500. Bleh.

You know that I've used a Blade countless times before, Xen. I should've mentioned this earlier, but they're right above the Cavalier in terms of how much I want to play one. Maybe below, for that matter.

Power doesn't matter nearly as much as how much fun I have, by the way.
Old 07-30-2004, 04:51 PM   #5
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Quote:
Originally posted by Pyrenk:
Every time I come back, your post count rises by ~1500. Bleh.

LOL!

You want fun? Then play as a Beastmaster. You will never be powerful or overpowered and will have banter.

Nature-freaks party:
PC -BMaster
Cernd
Jaheira
Minsc
Imoen
Aerie

[ 07-30-2004, 04:55 PM: Message edited by: Xen ]
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 04:52 PM   #6
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Played a woodhuggers party yet?

Some druid, Jaheira, Minsc, Valygar, Imoen...
Old 07-30-2004, 05:01 PM   #7
Pyrenk
Symbol of Cyric

Eww, Beastmaster. I soloed him once (inspired by Jim). I hate Beastmasters. I don't like Druids in general. I'd use a Shapeshifter, but as far as I know, even the Greater Werewolf can't hit every monster [img]smile.gif[/img]

I could try a themed party again, though. Last time I asked for a suggestion for it, I didn't get anything interesting.

*I hate Jahiera, by the way. Worthless, arrogant Harper -.-

I've played just about every "fun" party known on the forums, which is why I'm asking, instead of searching for a thread. That didn't work.
Old 07-31-2004, 02:30 PM   #8
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Welcome back, Pyrenk

I am currently playing my first ever solo game with a Bard. It's also the first time I've ever played a bard. I debated long and hard between using a Blade or a Skald. I finally chose the Skald kit because - while Blades get the Offensive Spin - that only lasts a few rounds and can only be done few times a day. A Skald, on the other hand, is +1 with every single weapon in the game all the time. So a +2 weapon acts as if it were a +3 and a +5 weapon actually gives the Skald the benefits of a +6 weapon.

I just cleared the Improved Druids Grove with him on solo and - so far - I haven't encountered any fight that I couldn't handle (except for a bug that kept pitting me against Improved Faldorn instead of Cernd - who I tried to have accept the challenge).

I gave him proficiencies in katana (for the Zerth Blade) and club (to take advantage of Illyich's weapon during that fight). Now that I have also gained Gnasher and Blackblood from Trademeet, my Skald will soon be wielding Pitchwife +5.

I did "cheat" and download an upgraded version of Zerth Blade from Arundor's Abode which is +5 and gave my solo Bard several extra spell slots. I wouldn't have been able to complete the Grove without those extra spells, but I plan to sheathe the blade and go with Blackblood and Gnasher now that I've finished that particular quest.

Another interesting character I created is a halfling Bounty Hunter. I plan to have him take proficiencies in short sword and dagger and travel with Mazzy, Aerie, Haer'Dalis and Jan. (all "little people" - except for Aerie).

I also thought about creating a half-orc Swashbuckler - but a gnome would be another good option.

One final "concept character" I created was a Neutral Evil Jester called "The Joker". I used SK to change his Bhaalspawn Abilities (eliminated Lorlach's Minor Drains and added "Poison Weapon" because the Joker had a penchant for poisoning his victims when he first appeared in the Batman comics.

Well, those are some ideas I've tossed around lately. Let us know what you finally choose.
Old 07-31-2004, 10:15 PM   #9
Nerull
Lord Ao

Just throwing some stuff out there from the top of my head:

• Archer: great class throughout the series (and absolutely lethal in BG1). A good party in BG1 would be Dynaheir (using wands or scrolls to overcome any limitations in her spellcasting), Minsc, Yeslick or Branwen, Imoen, and one other of your choice. In BG2, take Minsc and Imoen to keep continuity (w/ Yoshimo filling in for a while ), then Aerie, Anomen, and one other (Valygar would be a good fit).
  • Swashbuckler: one I've been playing in BG1, and a real good one. I purposely did this one not to have people that are part of the "main storyline" (no Minsc, Imoen, or Jaheira). The result is that my party in BG1 is Kivan, Ajantis, Yeslick, Coran (to do the backstabbing and scouting), Dynaheir (I just went and got her, and never talked to Minsc or Edwin) and Kivan. In BG2, I plan to take Aerie, Kelsey (if you don't have him installed, then Nalia), Mazzy, Valygar, and Keldorn.
  • Cavalier: Go with a "knight" party. You can't do so well in BG1; Ajantis, Imoen, Dynaheir and Yeslick all fit (the last two only because you need a mage and a cleric). In BG2, go with Mazzy, Keldorn, Anomen, Nalia (noblewoman) and Imoen (damsel in distress).
  • Berserker: very good in BG1. Your party pretty much depends on your alignment, but you will fine as long as you get at least one each of mage, cleric and thief.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 06:23 PM   #10
Pyrenk
Symbol of Cyric

My first post:
Quote:
I'd also like party recommendations for both BGI and BGII. I'm looking for the party with the most amusing interactions, dialogues, situations, etc.
I don't particularly care if the party isn't very useful, as long as the conversations are worthwhile. If I can solo an Insane/Tactics etc. game, I can manage with a useless party [img]smile.gif[/img]

Archer's looking good so far, but after watching the Three Musketeers, I'm being pulled back to a Kensai. I haven't used a pure Kensai yet (to complete the entire game, anyway), and they just have more style than Archers. I'm unsure as to the weapon, though.

I would do a Skald, but I don't like the "Norse mythology" idea. I haven't seen many Vikings in BG. I also need something more dependable for BGII. My weak party might support me then, but when Imp. Ilyich and the like come along, I'll need someone more...useful (even if I can support my party with the song). I don't like the idea of sitting back and singing while my party fights, either.

Question: how quickly will 25 CON make your HP regenerate, and what is the maximum regen. rate with items? List the items if you can, please.

Thanks for the suggestions, by the way.

[ 08-01-2004, 06:30 PM: Message edited by: Pyrenk ]