Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2001, 10:02 AM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I wanted to go to the bookstore today to pick some stuff up, and was laughed at when I mentioned at work of my intentions. They said that I would take 3 hours to do a 10 minute pickup, due to heavy traffic. I called my wife, who had went this morning at 6am to pick up some curtain material. She said that she stood in line at the store for 40 minutes, just at the cash register.
She reported that at Best Buy, the cars were in the streets, coming off of Business 40, in line to be able to access the parking lot to pray for a place to park in the grass.
What do you guys/gals think of today?
Is it too dangerous to travel to the stores???

By the way...I also heard that most stores will stay open and busy all the way until Midnight tonight, and a few will work until 2am!
Old 11-23-2001, 10:13 AM   #2
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

Hmmm... maybe its because im spanish, but i dont know why is special today. Is it something american ?
Old 11-23-2001, 10:21 AM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Sorry...
for those that are not Gringos, I shall tell you of the day...
as I have been informed.

The day after Thanksgiveing is always a Friday.
Most people are off of work, taking Thursday and Friday as one long weekend.
Also, it is the National Open Season for Christmas shopping, since that is the next holiday in line.
Many people are afraid to get out into the crazy hassle of the day, so all the stores drop their prices considerably to lure the customers in.
You can get amazing deals.
Therefore, it is the worst/best day of the year for shopping.
Depends on how much time you have to spend doing it, since the lines are very long.
And since most people will not have another full day off of work to shop, except for the weekends, today is utilized as shopping day.

¿me explíco?
Old 11-23-2001, 10:53 AM   #4
Arvon
Unicorn

Probibly should be renamed National Idiots Day. I never go on this date (day).

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Old 11-23-2001, 11:02 AM   #5
Fuzzy Animal
Zhentarim Guard

As busy and as crazy as the day after Thanksgiving is, it is not the busiest day of the year. The third Saturday of December is, in my experience. Crazy........just crazy!!!!!
Old 11-23-2001, 11:32 AM   #6
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

Oh now i see Larry... I suppose that Thanksgiving is what we call here "Acción de Gracias". We dont have such day here, but they translate it like this on films . Anyway, people here doesnt amke gifts on 24th December (Santa Claus), but on 5th January (called here "The Magic Kings", in spanish "Los Reyes Magos"), so busiest days are probably from 2nd to 4th of January, though there isnt a specific day that could be called the BUSIEST of the year.
Old 11-23-2001, 11:57 AM   #7
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Ertai_OHF:
Oh now i see Larry... I suppose that Thanksgiving is what we call here "Acción de Gracias". We dont have such day here, but they translate it like this on films . Anyway, people here doesnt amke gifts on 24th December (Santa Claus), but on 5th January (called here "The Magic Kings", in spanish "Los Reyes Magos"), so busiest days are probably from 2nd to 4th of January, though there isnt a specific day that could be called the BUSIEST of the year.

Yeah, living in Mexico for two years, I am aware of these above mentioned differences. Yet, Mexico celebrates both Navidad and Los Reyes Magos. It was alot of fun to learn of the different cultural beliefs and experience it first-hand.
Old 11-23-2001, 12:43 PM   #8
Reeka
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I heard on the news last night some stores here opening at 1AM.I stay far away from malls and think anyone should have their head examined that tries to shop on this day. Of course, there usually is not question of choice for me; this is the first time in 6 years that I have been in the States any the week of Thanksgiving. I am normally in Europe all this week.
<b>Order of the Holy Flame</b><br /><i>Member of Clan HADB</i><br /><b>Laughing Hyena</b><br /><i>Clan Liaison, IW Peace Keeping Force</i><br /><i>[url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com/Forum/index.php?board=29\" target=\"_blank\">The Silver River VoiceChat!</a><br />Last Saturday of every month. <br />See the forum link for scheduling!<br /><b> </b><br /></i><br /><b>Admin and Co-Owner of [url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com\" target=\"_blank\">The Silver River</a></b><br />[url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com\" target=\"_blank\"></a>
Old 11-23-2001, 01:53 PM   #9
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

I for one refuse to get "mauled at the mall." Ergo, I refuse to shop at ANY mall between Thanksgiving and Christmas, and only go to other "speciality" stores before 5 p.m. People are absolute maniacs out there... [img]graemlins/uhoh1.gif[/img]

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 11-23-2001, 02:16 PM   #10
J.J.
Symbol of Cyric

What a bunch of grinches

You guys mean to tell me you missed out on the pulse-pounding excitement of standing ouside a store for a half hour in 5degree windchill weather(that was this morning), only to crash the store doors and race and trample your way to the special item with a low, low price and no rainchecks? sheesh - ya pikers go see my post on shopping, this should be init

Amanda, Kyleia, and Kathleen\'s Dad-Best Damn Job, Period.

Official procrastinator of the O.L.D. C.O.O.T.S. Clan
unOfficial Homeopathic Quacktitioner of the IW Realm