Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2001, 03:18 PM   #21
bilqis
Symbol of Cyric

And so all you fathers of daughters, what advice would you give to a mother of sons regarding the best way for them to behave so you fathers are content, and your daughters will still like them??

My poor poor boys. Having to run the gauntlet of mean ol' dads. *sigh*

------------------

Sometimes I think I
understand everything,
then I regain consciousness.

Happy Member of Fast Fourward.
Old 05-11-2001, 04:09 PM   #22
onthepequod
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by bilqis:
And so all you fathers of daughters, what advice would you give to a mother of sons regarding the best way for them to behave so you fathers are content, and your daughters will still like them??

The best advise, IMHO, would be to teach sons to be perfect little gentlemen (i.e. holding doors, when walking on the sidewalk making she the female is on the inside, etc…) and respectful of their elders (esp. the parents of the daughter) as well as others (esp. young ladies). This will greatly ease a fathers worry. This is not to say the father will be at ease but he will be a lot closer.

Right before I got married someone told me, “giving away a daughter in marriage is like giving a Stratovarious (sp?) to a Gorilla.” The longer I am married, the more I realize how accurate this is. The thing that makes this palatable is, that in marriage the man is making a commitment (even though he doesn’t always keep it) to the daughter (this includes her welfare). In a dating relationship, a boy (translated - immature Gorilla) has no commitment to the welfare of a daughter. Heck, he’s just lucky to be able to take care of himself.

On a different note, since you live so far North, does this mean you are a Ranger? Or is the Iron Range further East from you? Excuse my ignorance. I’m relatively new to the state. This is just a thought but many would probably find amusement in a posting on “Iron Range vernacular” or “You know you live in the Iron Range when…” That is if you feel familiar enough with the subject matter.

[This message has been edited by onthepequod (edited 05-11-2001).]
Old 05-11-2001, 04:19 PM   #23
bilqis
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by onthepequod:

In a dating relationship, a boy (translated - immature Gorilla) has no commitment to the welfare of a daughter. Heck, he’s just lucky to be able to take care of himself.

On a different note, since you live so far North, does this mean you are a Ranger? Or is the Iron Range further East from you? Excuse my ignorance. I’m relatively new to the state. This is just a thought but many would probably find amusement in a posting on “Iron Range vernacular” or “You know you live in the Iron Range when…” That is if you feel familiar enough with the subject matter.
Well, I don't dispute that description -- they are definitely 'immature gorillas'. Being the only female in a house full of males leaves me despairing that I will ever be taken seriously.

No, I'm not a ranger. I'm further west of that. Getting an idea of where yet?

------------------

Sometimes I think I
understand everything,
then I regain consciousness.

Happy Member of Fast Fourward.
Old 05-11-2001, 04:46 PM   #24
onthepequod
Quintesson

Quote:
No, I'm not a ranger. I'm further west of that. Getting an idea of where yet?

Working on it! Be patient with me I'm just a Gorilla.
Old 05-11-2001, 05:36 PM   #25
turbovee
Elminster

I was that rotten ass young man that every father hated. I graduated when I was 16, moved out of the house and was living in an apartment with a friend. We didn't have to pay rent because the apartment belonged to his father who had payed off the mortgage years before. Needless to say I was on my own, had about $50 dollars worth of bills/month and had a lot of time on my hands. I would invite all the kids who were my age over to party at my apartment and had absolutely no parental supervision. I had girls coming and going. I had quite a few fathers come over and demand to see my parents because I had kept their daughters out too late and had them under the influence several times. I would tell them I no longer lived with my parents and that they needed to stop worrying about me and keep better control of their own kids. I am no longer like that now and would be horrified if I knew of a kid like me was hanging around my daughter if I had one. In fact I would probably hunt them down. I don't have any kids as of yet and remembering what a terror I was almost makes me scared to even have any. LOL

------------------

The sexiest elf mage in the land
I feel the need, the need for SPEED!
Peace and hair grease
Old 05-11-2001, 06:06 PM   #26
John D Harris
Ninja Storm Shadow

Quote:

bilqis, I've found addressing me as "Sire" helps
Onthepequd has about the best advice I would add make sure they are returned in the same condition as when they left

------------------

"the memories of a man in his old age,
are deeds of a man in his prime"
Old 05-11-2001, 06:09 PM   #27
onthepequod
Quintesson

Good point John D.
Old 05-12-2001, 02:42 AM   #28
JJ/newbie

Great topic! I should get by more often, but now that summer is here (except for our last two blizzards to come yet) I am just not inside, unless it is an insane hour of the morning and cleaning out email.
When Amanda was born, one of the foreman on the oil platform where I was a roustabout offered the 'beat the crap out of the first boy, then you know that the next one to come around is actually serious' theory. As fun as that sounds, not very practical;( Am running out of time to figure out how to teach her that she is too important to waste on the first scuzbag that comes along, and I was the type of (outwardly) clean-cut type who parents took a liking to because manners had been beat into my silly little pointed head by my parents. I guess my having a daughter is cosmic revenge, because I was no angel, fer sure. Oh well, guess I'll burn that bridge when I get to it.

------------------
Unstinting Gaurdian of Children
Defender of Those Unable To