Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2009, 10:37 PM   #1
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Yawning Anyone watch that MJ memorial today?

Man, I did not expect such a moving, spiritual event. I admit, toward the end my heart was aching, especially when his kid came on the mic for the first time the world saw her face, she just looks like a regular kid. Been feeling kinda sad since I watched it. Truly a legend we've lost.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:32 AM   #2
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Default Re: Anyone watch that MJ memorial today?

Yes, i saw it. It was in one word....impressive.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:16 PM   #3
Chewbacca
Zartan

It was very moving, I'm still a little heart-achy myself.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:15 PM   #4
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

yes

http://www.hughwilson.com
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:05 PM   #5
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

I did not watch it. There was a bit of it on the late news though.

I did not watch him in life, so why watch him in death.

He was great, but what a sad/tragic story as well..
Old 07-08-2009, 04:29 PM   #6
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

I had it on the TV yesterday, but didn't really sit down to watch any of it. I've always considered Michael Jackson's life to be one of the greatest tragedies of my generation. He literally had the entertainment world in the palm of his hand in the mid-80s, then suffered such a tremendous fall from grace. Very sad. It always pained me to see how much he had changed (physically) in those years. He was a very handsome man with limitless talent. I can only imagine what inner struggles drove him to do what he did to himself.

As for his music, even the words "legend" and "icon" fall short of truly describing his natural talent and the impact he had on music and dance styles. He created new sounds and an entirely new movement in dance. The only other artist I can think of on a par with Michael was Elvis (and possibly the Beatles).

Both had staggering talent and revolutionized the kind of music people listened to and began playing. They both changed the entire industry with their skills and influence.

Despite the changes Michael went through, his death leaves a void that will never be completely filled.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:57 PM   #7
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerek View Post
I can only imagine what inner struggles drove him to do what he did to himself..
This was a cause: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vitiligo/ds00586

http://www.hughwilson.com
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:45 PM   #8
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

It's been on repeat all day. I must admit, I feel a horrible shame about it, not for myself, but for the world and how he was treated by so many. I wasn't a hardcore fan of his (of course I loved his music), but I always felt bad for him watching what he endured - and from his own people, no less.

Misunderstood, misjudged and mistreated. What broke my heart and got a loud cheer from the audience was when his brother Marlon touched on the negativity he endured saying "Michael, maybe now they will leave you alone". God, as a person it made me feel awful, ashamed and angry at all of us for how he was treated - even though I personally never called ridiculed him I guess I am ashamed by those who did.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:35 AM   #9
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWarrior View Post
It's been on repeat all day. I must admit, I feel a horrible shame about it, not for myself, but for the world and how he was treated by so many. I wasn't a hardcore fan of his (of course I loved his music), but I always felt bad for him watching what he endured - and from his own people, no less.

Misunderstood, misjudged and mistreated. What broke my heart and got a loud cheer from the audience was when his brother Marlon touched on the negativity he endured saying "Michael, maybe now they will leave you alone". God, as a person it made me feel awful, ashamed and angry at all of us for how he was treated - even though I personally never called ridiculed him I guess I am ashamed by those who did.
As much as I admired his talent, the "negativity he endured" was brought on largely by his own actions. This is a man who, when asked in an interview about having young children in his bed, answered in complete sincerety "Is it wrong to share love with others?"

When you're a 40-year old man and you're "sharing your love" with pre-adolescent children, the answer is "YES, Michael, that type of situation is VERY wrong".

I have to lay down with my 7-year old to help him get to sleep and I usually end up staying in bed with him because his older brother gets my bed when they are here. However, I would NEVER even THINK of lying on the bed (much less IN the bed) with somebody ELSE"S child. Even though the situation would be perfectly innocent, I would never give even the merest appearance of any improper action. The fact that Michael couldn't see how wrong that was only adds to the sadness of what he became.

Did he have indecent contact with any of those children that shared his bed for many years before the public learned he did stuff like that? I can't say for sure, but the evidence presented against him and the circumstance of the situation looked pretty convincing.

All that aside, though, I do agree it is time to put that in the past. Fortunately, it is very clear that Michael Jackson will be remembered - and honored - for his legacy and talent. And that is how it should be.

Last edited by Cerek; 07-09-2009 at 02:38 AM.
Cerek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:51 AM   #10
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Yeah, it's certainly odd and unacceptable in our hyperprotective culture, but I don't think it's wrong in the morale sense.

I mean, of course you're gonna raise eyebrows having kids in your bed or in your room, but I believe this man was different and for that, he was persecuted and turned into something he wasn't. My heart tells me he was all love, and loving toward all children. I mean, he was dragged to court twice and was let off each time.

He also had his own children, which were thoroughly investigated during the cases, and still they came back with no wrongdoing and with them never being taken away. The unfortunate truth is, in our society we are so paranoid about predators that we immediately assume anyone wanting to bond with our kids is up to no good. In this day and age I don't think there is room for that kinda love from non-family members anymore. There was, at one time but then child-molestation sparked such fear that we quickly quashed it. Personally, looking back now, and after watching the interviews and answers he gave, I do think it was totally innocent and must agree with the general consensus that psychologically he was re-living his childhood through these kids, with no malice intended at all. In his mind he is a child, playing with peers. I just don't think there was a place for him in our hypersensitive culture.

I'm not complaining about it, because we must indeed be extremely vigilant with our children, as predators do lurk in unlikely places. But it is just saddening that there are some people who genuinely want to show affection but instead get smeared and labelled something they are not.