Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2002, 06:22 PM   #11
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
this planet is shrinking, and one day, millions of years from now, it wil explode and nothing wil be left. That is if we don't blow it up ourselves first.
Old 06-02-2002, 06:24 PM   #12
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
this planet is shrinking, and one day, millions of years from now, it wil explode and nothing wil be left. That is if we don't blow it up ourselves first.
We will probably blow ourselves up first.
Old 06-02-2002, 06:34 PM   #13
Lord Shield

I see no point in wondering what we cannot know. It's like the "Do we have a soul?" question

we may or may not - can we do antyhing about it? nope

Old 06-02-2002, 07:52 PM   #14
Lioness
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Horatio:
quote:
Originally posted by Lioness:
It's quite possible. Even if we don't persay kill ourselves off, it's likely that there will be some sort of thing like what killed the dinosaurs off that will destroy the human race.

I don't think it's such a big deal, we're just one small planet in a universe of infinity.
Wow, you're pretty laid back, aren't ya?[/QUOTE]No...but there's no reason to pretend that if the human race is wiped out, it's the end of the universe...we can hardly be the most important thing around. No offense to anyone who thinks the world revolves around them.
Old 06-02-2002, 07:58 PM   #15
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

I find it immensly amusing though, that one day the universe will cease to exist, perhaps just before the birth of a new one, perhaps not. In any case, all of humanity, all the petty struggles and misplaced notions of ambition and greed and warfare will be forgotten. Remembered by no-one, and with no way of anything ever knowing. How many thousands of years, wiped out forever. It's a humbling thought... and one that puts some things in perspective.
Old 06-02-2002, 08:35 PM   #16
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Is the human race doomed to oneday destroy itself?
I certainly hope so!! Humanity is a cancer on this planet. Wherever humans go they ruin the enviroment and consume all of the natural resources. Humanity is vain enough to think that the world revolves around them both individualy and collectively and too stupid to realize that it doesnt. The earth is begining to get rid of us itself. 100 years ago people werent killed by AIDS, the ebola virus, E-Coli food poisoning, or lyme disease. There are new germs desighned by the planet to kill a species immune to the black plauge, polio and small pox.If we dont kill ourselves the planet will do it for us.
Old 06-02-2002, 09:41 PM   #17
Gabrielles blades
Baaz Draconian

It doesnt matter when humanity self destructs (and it will).
It only matters that you make the most of your time before it does.
Old 06-02-2002, 09:52 PM   #18
mistral4543
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Unfortunately, I've no idea if this will happen... what's more important to me is that I leave this world with little regrets [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-02-2002, 11:24 PM   #19
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hunter of Jahanna:
quote:
Is the human race doomed to oneday destroy itself?
I certainly hope so!! Humanity is a cancer on this planet. Wherever humans go they ruin the enviroment and consume all of the natural resources. Humanity is vain enough to think that the world revolves around them both individualy and collectively and too stupid to realize that it doesnt. The earth is begining to get rid of us itself. 100 years ago people werent killed by AIDS, the ebola virus, E-Coli food poisoning, or lyme disease. There are new germs desighned by the planet to kill a species immune to the black plauge, polio and small pox.If we dont kill ourselves the planet will do it for us.[/QUOTE]
Just on the technical side here I'd like to suggest some alternate facts.

E-Coli has been around for probably as long as human beings, it is a natuarally occuring bug living in ...you guessed it our colons and in the colons of other species as well. The reason it kills people in fast food restauraunts is because the meat was improperly handled during it's processing.

Ebola is not new either. Ebola is just one of several related types of diseases. I don't know the whole schpeil on the strain but I believe it is similar to various hemoragic feavers that are common to particular climates. Ebola is new to most western and norther lattitude coutries because it doesnt occur here, it is native to a more southern hot jungle climate.

Aids or HIV has probably been around for a long long time as well. The virus is a particularly small one and we have only recently (within the last 30 years) been able to develop the technology to let us observe it. In general people do not die from the virus it self, but from diseases and sickness' that are given a foot hold by the HIV. Pneumonia, is a common cause of death. What this means is that in the past deaths were attributed to some other sickness but may have been induced or accelerated by the HIV.

I know I didnt get the terms and phraseology correct on some of this and all I know is what I have read in text written for laymen and not medical professionals.

All in all the world really isn't in nearly as bad shape as it was during the cold war. A time when toxic materials were produced at all time record paces in order to fabricate weapons that are no longer needed. Most official experts on the subject now doubt that the catastrophic destruction of the world via nuclear exchanges is a probability. Most now believe that any nuclear incidents will be confined to very small and limited exchanges such as between Pakistan and India...which while of supreme importantce to both those countries will probably have little impact on europe, Africa, the western hemisphere or Russia.....South east asia which is "down wind" will probably have some heartache though.

I know some of you wonder why I posted all of this. It is because some of you seem so depressed and filled with doom and gloom worries...I just wanted to let you know that it IS ok to look on the positive side. Never in the history of man have we been so aware of our environment on a global scale, and never have we had the ability to try and change the way things are done to the extent we do now. There is light out there....any wya...thats my take on things.

Hunter sorry to make it appear like I was picking on your post, I just thought it might help if I put out some info on the things you mentioned because I know those scare others as well.

Old 06-02-2002, 11:53 PM   #20
Iron Spike
Dungeon Master

yah, the human race will kill itself. it seems that througout history that has been mankinds only long term goal. but hey, as long as i got my computer everything will be fine(unless i hav to go back to dialup. the thought makes me shudder)