Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Are you a vegetarian, vegan or otherwise?
Yes 8 16.00%
No 41 82.00%
Eat meat rarely 1 2.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-29-2007, 02:07 AM   #61
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Default Re: How Many IW'ers are Vegetarians?

An interesting question in itself is raised with TL's and Kyrvias posts:
How much do you care about what you put in your mouth, or for that part, what you consumes everyday.

I try to check up as much as possible concerning what I eat, try to shop consumables that have a at least a decent plan for echo treatment and many farms in Sweden have open farms where the animals can stroll around outside most of the year. Some farms have that all year option for animals. Better treatment and all it does for me is again to do it the consumer way: I control with my wallet.

Not everything is as good as it could get mind you, there are always space for improvments, regardless of if you are consuming water, vegetables, meat or CD's. By making a mental note to do something about it each time you are in a store, you contribute to either make a change or not. You don't have to be a fanatic - just mindful.

Illumina Drathiran'ar, I think that many meateaters sometimes feel attacked since there aren't any militant carnivores out there but there are vegans, and military vegans and lately the no sex with meat eaters - vegans and vegetarians are. Sure, they are a small part, but we all know that the press loves the small whiney militarian groups since they sell the news and makes people even more frightened.. Way of media these days. Also, I think that it also depends on where you live, certain twons and cities may have a larger selection of either group which can lead to seeing the other group as weirdos.

For me my first contact with vegans was at Mc Donalds, they came up to me and asked me if I could justify killing animals to eat. Bad choice of person. Wolves are excelleant hunters and grim when needed to As I at that time was not only raised in a family where hunting was number A, but also did my military service - killing, was the least of my problems. Now I don't really despise vegans, I just don't like how most of the ones that are behaves, and that is not anything excluisive to vegans, heck I probably hate alot more meateaters then vegans, simply based on that the most people are omnivores and a larger part of people are simply a-holes. Logical

Now I could tell you about a very interesting debate I had almost ten years ago with the most stunning vegetarian I have ever met. I have never ever been so mindful about how I phrased my beliefs

Don´t eat the yellow snow
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:32 AM   #62
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Well, as far as mine and Kyrvias's little tete-a-tete goes, I too am willing to agree to disagree.

At base humans are omnivores... our bodies are centered around consuming both kinds of food, and that's a healthy diet. I substitute veggie protein in the form of processed tofu... and while I have many great meat substitutes and can make absolutely wonderful veggie dishes that all carnivores would enjoy (seasoning is everything), it doesn't make it any more "natural" than killing and eating meat.

But my big dissent is with factory farming. Factory farming ends up being bad in terms of both vegetarian and carnivorous diets... not only does it exploit the animals and turn them into hormone-filled pennies for the counting, but it uses tons of pesticides and herbicides, much of which is applied to the land by untrained immigrant workers (this is known as the huge "hole" in pesticide laws, by the way).

When advising others, my first and biggest point is try to buy small family farm organics. On both the meat-eater and non meat-eater side, this not only will introduce you to much better tasting foods, but it will also be healthier for both you and the environment. Other than that, it's personal choice.

Speaking of personal choice, as a general note I'd like to think that if you are concerned enough to consider what kind of gas to put in your car, you're also concerned enough to consider what you fuel your body with. Read labels.... more importantly, understand them. Food is a very personal and private choice. Like sex, really, who am I to decide what you put into your body? It's YOUR body, after all.

Which brings me back to Wolfgir's point. Food and what you eat is a big choice in your life. Don't take it lightly. Concern yourself with it, and read up on it. In the modern world of Google, all the info you could want is at your fingertips.

Good eating can be done on a budget and with a conscience. You just have to put forth the effort.

And, for God's sake, avoid the processed crap, ESP. processed grains, carbs, and the like. I know Lime Tostidos taste frikkin awesome. They do. But as far as your body is concerned, they're crap, so try to be healthy, eat healthy, live long, and prosper.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:13 AM   #63
wellard
Dracolisk

Unhappy Re: How Many IW'ers are Vegetarians?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balintherlas View Post
I'm just curious, my theory is there would be a lot as I've always thought vegetarians were smarter than most and more opinionated, which every Ironworker is.
I was a strict veggy for well over 15 years, I was very sad that due to a medical condition ( not brought on by being a veggy but made worse) It was very upsetting to let good people like Timber Loftis and others know that I had stopped.

Now I eat meat and donate to animal charities. I am strictly against any sort of animal cruelty.

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 05:15 AM   #64
wellard
Dracolisk

Crying Re: How Many IW'ers are Vegetarians?

BTW ... I have put on about 20kg in weight since giving up being a veggy. Partly because you do not put as much thought into your diet

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 04:09 PM   #65
Stratos
Vampire

I'm not a vegatarian, but I do put thought into what I put in my mouth.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:24 PM   #66
Lord Michael
Elminster

I must agree with Timber....the factory farming industry is an affront to mankind.
I was a die-hard carnivore until age 20, when I saw how veal gets to your plate. It was then that I felt empathetic. Disgusting, cruel, and sickening.
I find veggie burgers, hot dogs, veggie bacon and many other veggie-based items to get all the protein I need.
I don't eat anything with eyes........
I don't mean to sound militant, 'cos I'm not vegan or crazy, but I wish every meat-eater could experience the horror of being slaughtered, or being kept in a dark box to fatten & soften you up, just to feel what real fear is like.
Oh yeah, and I make a vegetarian chili that even my carnivore friends don't know doesn't have meat....

Oh yeah, I'm a misanthrope btw......

"Better to die on your feet than to live on your knees"
Lord Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 07:20 PM   #67
Papa Schlumpf
Manshoon

So I take it none of the vegetarians here have any leather clothing, or other potentially animal-unfriendly products that they can think of? Do you make conscious brand decisions when you're buying eggs, milk, cheese?
Interested in knowing just how far you will go for your principles.
Papa Schlumpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:17 PM   #68
Lord Michael
Elminster

Choc Re: How Many IW'ers are Vegetarians?

While I make an effort NOT to wear leather, I do own a sweet pair of combat boots. I am certain that no matter the extent of effort to "leave only footprints", everyone's actions, possesions, or routine in life has some deleterious effect on something that we share this small planet with. My line was simply drawn with the sordid measure of cruelty inflicted by humans, UNnecessarily, on other living things. especially if it is for luxury, and not necessity. I do drink milk (organic), and eat cheese & eggs (free-range). I would imagine that there is some argument that there is some cruelty to animals inherent in the way we live today. Hence my misanthropy. I tend to think of humans as a whole with disdain.... I love individual people, but loathe us as a whole. We have some nerve thinking that we are the be-all-end-all of this universe....
I am soothed by the fact that we will likely overpopulate ourselves into oblivion, and maybe then the earth will recover and be rid of us forever..... A guy can hope can't he?

"Better to die on your feet than to live on your knees"
Lord Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:37 PM   #69
Spelca
Emerald Dragon

Happy Re: How Many IW'ers are Vegetarians?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Schlumpf View Post
So I take it none of the vegetarians here have any leather clothing, or other potentially animal-unfriendly products that they can think of? Do you make conscious brand decisions when you're buying eggs, milk, cheese?
Interested in knowing just how far you will go for your principles.
I'm a vegetarian. I don't eat meat, nor fish. I do eat dairy products and eggs though.

I admit that I own a few pairs of leather shoes. I usually look for shoes that don't have leather, but sometimes it's too difficult to find nice, and what's even more important, comfortable shoes that aren't leather. So I do admit I'm a bit of a hypocrite there. I could order them by mail, I guess, but I don't think that's such a good idea when it comes to shoes... I at least try though (plus I don't buy that many shoes anyway). I don't have any leather on my clothes.

When it comes to milk, cheese and eggs, I always buy ecological if it's available. In the store that I shop they only sell free-range eggs, so all eggs that I buy come from free-range chicken. I usually buy the, umm, better free-range eggs, where the chicken have even more space to run around in, and they're also let outside. When it comes to milk, I always pay a bit more (which isn't much) and buy the milk that comes from cows which are treated much nicer. They get to be out longer, they eat better, their calves stay with them longer, etc. They're happier cows.

So I try to buy ecological when it's available.

By the way, it doesn't take any effort to stay healthy when you don't eat meat/fish. Just... eat healthy. It's really not difficult.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:57 AM   #70
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Hmm, is there a special line drawn that just because you are a vegetarian you become an animal rights person? I know people that are vegetarians because they fell better from that diet and still wear a nice leatherjacket and shoes for that matter. All kinds of interesting combos I would guess.

On the same time meat eaters doesn't have a tougher time staying healthy either, it is not always the meat products that are the bad thing in our diet, it is all the rest, sauces, fat, sugar and weird chemicals to make food appear fresh longer.

As stated above, I don't like the big slaughter house busniess either, and I don't like unecessary cruelty to either animal nor humans for that matter.

Don´t eat the yellow snow
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote