Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Your favourite gaming system(Roleplaying, not console/PC, etc.)
2nd edition Advanced Dungeons and Dragons 7 15.56%
3rd edition Dungeons and Dragons 6 13.33%
1st edition Dungeons and Dragons 16 35.56%
GURPS 2 4.44%
RIFTS 3 6.67%
Unisystem(All Flesh Must Be Eaten, etc.) 7 15.56%
Alternity 1 2.22%
Freeform(Or some sort of diceless) 2 4.44%
Other(Please enlighten us as to your inferior choice) 1 2.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-07-2007, 01:10 PM   #61
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

I loved the D&D system because everything had it's place and there was a rule or check for anything you could think of. I know the had optional con checks for crushing blows etc. and you were encouraged to take that as far as you wanted i.e. death upon failure due to being squished.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:17 PM   #62
PurpleXVI
Emerald Dragon

What I loved was that there was a rule and a check for everything, but one of the very first things they said in the rulebook was: "Use common sense." and basically: "don't turn it into a roll or a rule-usage unless it needs to be."

That's something a lot of DM's could learn from.
PurpleXVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 09:48 PM   #63
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Defend Your Castle Champion Frogger Champion Monkey Diving Champion Summer Games Champion Donkey Kong Champion
Moon Lander Champion Space Invaders Champion
Just to support my favorite, I'd like to mention Rifts. Well, Rifts along with the rest of the Palladium Megaverse. I've always felt they had a battle system that was the most efficient and realistic in games. They use a health system similar to Sar Wars D20 (my second favorite). There is SDC (Structural Damage Capacity) and HP. That coupled with special moves (like Deathblow) that specifically target health points makes the system fairly realistic, and heroic. The degrees between the two vary depending on what game you play, of course.
Dron_Cah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 07:44 AM   #64
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Also with Luvian here,
Shadowrun is a kick ass game [img]smile.gif[/img]

Allthough my constantly striving for finding new things makes me a huge fan of some of the BRP systems out there, many Swedish games like En Garde, Mutant, Eon (if you got time to spare ) are nice and I also like KULT alot.
D20 is better than the 2:nd edition in my opinion but I think that the system (all DnD actually) is intentionally far from realistic.

Favourite die, easy, my 23 year old D12 in shiny see through ruby red , or maybe it was my shocking orange D6 set for Shadowrun and Eon? or those green/grey marbled BRP set?

Don´t eat the yellow snow
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 07:48 AM   #65
PurpleXVI
Emerald Dragon

KULT has an awesome setting, but Christ is the book ever badly laid-out. The writing is good, everything is good, but you literally need a map to find everything you need there.

Convert KULT to a slightly better system, maybe the Unisystem, and you'd definitely have me hooked.

As for D20 vs 2nd ed... All I'll say is that D20 feels a lot more generic and a lot more geared towards powergamers than 2nd ed ever did.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:03 AM   #66
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by PurpleXVI:
As for D20 vs 2nd ed... All I'll say is that D20 feels a lot more generic and a lot more geared towards powergamers than 2nd ed ever did.
Um... I'm not too sure. With all the optional rulebooks 2nd edition had, it was really easy to powergame. One of the thing that 3rd edition had is that the rules are more streamlined and centralized. No more starting out with a kit that give you a free magic item of your choice at the start etc. That's why they created 3rd edition, to clean up the messed up rules.

I'm still partial to Shadowrun. I like D&D and there's a couple of campaigns I had planed and wish I could get to use, but nothing can beat Cyberpunk Fatasy. [img]smile.gif[/img] I also really wish I could have played more with the World of Darkness.

[ 01-09-2007, 10:04 AM: Message edited by: Luvian ]
Old 01-09-2007, 02:37 PM   #67
PurpleXVI
Emerald Dragon

Optional rulebooks, note that, optional, things that could just be taken aside. It was every DM's choice whether or not to include a certain rulebook, I know I'm sure as hell not approving a class from some supplement if it had anything like that "free magical item"-rule.

I think base 3rd ed is more structured for powergaming and min/maxing, personally, generally more for rollplaying than roleplaying.

WoD had a nice idea, but... Okay, let's get right down to it, the worst part was what the creators thought you were going to do with it. The description of the game itself, right in the book, was that it generally consisted of whining about lost humanity and "politics." However, this meant they neglected to balance the combat part to such an extent that any idiot could create a murder-machine that it would take a napalm airstrike to put down for good.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:33 PM   #68
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by PurpleXVI:
Optional rulebooks, note that, optional, things that could just be taken aside. It was every DM's choice whether or not to include a certain rulebook, I know I'm sure as hell not approving a class from some supplement if it had anything like that "free magical item"-rule.

I think base 3rd ed is more structured for powergaming and min/maxing, personally, generally more for rollplaying than roleplaying.

WoD had a nice idea, but... Okay, let's get right down to it, the worst part was what the creators thought you were going to do with it. The description of the game itself, right in the book, was that it generally consisted of whining about lost humanity and "politics." However, this meant they neglected to balance the combat part to such an extent that any idiot could create a murder-machine that it would take a napalm airstrike to put down for good.
Aww... but I liked my murder-machine.
Luvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 04:09 PM   #69
Man Who Fights Like Woman
Manshoon

Murder machines are the best characters for WW games, especially murder machines named Murderface.
Man Who Fights Like Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 05:06 AM   #70
Chris of the Dale
The Magister

Shouldn't the 3.5 Edition of rules be an option? They are a pretty big improvement over the original 3rd Edition.