Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2002, 10:03 PM   #11
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Hey, did you ever try putting the IP address in the "host" file? I still have to do that!
Old 10-04-2002, 11:22 PM   #12
MagiK

I tried a IP address but when my network guru's traced it, the addy was going to someones cable modem..so I think I may not have had the correct IP. We traced the URL to Roadrunner in Tampa, but thats where we were getting blocked.

Do you know the correct IP addy? It is something I can try.

Old 10-04-2002, 11:31 PM   #13
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I will PM it to you, because I am unaware of Ziroc's feelings for posting it publically.
Old 10-05-2002, 06:35 AM   #14
The Trickster
Manshoon

Hold on a second! I've fixed someone else's that was doing exactly the same thing. Try adding the correct IP address to the hosts file, and then the reverse to the lmhosts file.

For example, the hosts file should look like this:

xx.xx.xx.xx www.ironworksforum.com

and the lmhosts file should look like this:

www.ironworksforum.com xx.xx.xx.xx

Obviously you need to fill in the x's with the appropriate IP addresses.
Also, make sure you go to the command prompt and rename the files to hosts and lmhosts, instead of hosts.sam and lmhosts.sam

Please try this before giving up. It has worked for a couple of other people, and they never have the problem again.

The Trickster.
<br /><br />Movie Reviewer for Ironworks Gaming<br />Hero of Icewind Dale and alias to The Nameless One, Gordon Freeman, Garrett, Elayna Sedai, Cate Archer, Child of Bhaal, J.C Denton and Patrick Galloway.<br />Leader in the war against commercial music.
Old 10-05-2002, 06:36 AM   #15
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Darnit, Magik, I'll miss misinterpretating you
*HUGE e-hug* bye

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Old 10-05-2002, 09:26 AM   #16
Horatio
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

bye, mate. Try every now and again to get back on!
Old 10-05-2002, 10:01 AM   #17
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

MagiK I hope some of the suggestions people have offered here will help! I've had the same experience you have with other places, so I wish you luck in accessing us this one ! That's weird, the problem you're having....I had a similar one for a few days last year and then things just resolved and I could get here again. Z was baffled as to why it happened, but maybe yours will clear up with the switchover.
Old 10-05-2002, 10:04 AM   #18
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Don't give up just yet, Magik Man.

You've gotten lots of good suggestions so far....and your comments are too valuable to lose.
Old 10-05-2002, 10:07 AM   #19
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by The Trickster:
Hold on a second! I've fixed someone else's that was doing exactly the same thing. Try adding the correct IP address to the hosts file, and then the reverse to the lmhosts file.

For example, the hosts file should look like this:

xx.xx.xx.xx www.ironworksforum.com

and the lmhosts file should look like this:

www.ironworksforum.com xx.xx.xx.xx

Obviously you need to fill in the x's with the appropriate IP addresses.
Also, make sure you go to the command prompt and rename the files to hosts and lmhosts, instead of hosts.sam and lmhosts.sam

Please try this before giving up. It has worked for a couple of other people, and they never have the problem again.

The Trickster.
That will only work if it is a DNS problem; which Magik`s might be, but we can`t discount the fact that it could be anything else
Old 10-05-2002, 11:12 AM   #20
andrewas
Harper

Why would there be a problem with posting the IP. Anyone on the planet that knows about IW can get it by pinging the URL - provided of course that they arent having DNS problems like Magik might be.

It does trace to roadrunner in tampa bay though, So I guess magik has a different problem altogether. Which mean the move wont help either.

On a more pessimistic note, Im starting to think some of this may not be the normal run-of-the-mill network failures. I mean, there are a lot of glitches coming up over the past few months. I havent ever heard of a site that goes DNS invisible for such a prolonged time.

I hope Im just being cynical & paranoid, but who would have a grudge against IW?