Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2006, 04:51 AM   #1
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

After what's been a busy month and a bit for me, i haven't been very active on IW and thought i might post a bit of a summary before i head off into yonder territory. After working two years (and waiting, FOR NO REASON I CAN SEE, for the last six months) i finally have my Engineer's qualification. In WA, one of the very few places in the world (if not the only place) with industry growth surpassing China's, that means big biscuits. The thing that has kept me going at my job for the last year was the thought that i could go anywhere once i got my ticket, and that's what i kept telling people. Now that i have it, people keep asking me where i'm going, and i draw a blank. I honestly don't know. There's positions in big contracts from many industries all over the state and i feel a little bit overawed at the thought of narrowing them down to one. I don't like having to change my comfort zone thang: What if i choose wrong: [img]graemlins/uhoh1.gif[/img] Anyways, with the slight delay due to a little thing called a substance test, i have a few weeks to get my stuff together. For reasons of security and insurance, i'd been planning on not renewing the lease on my house, but when i started thinking about choosing a job from the list, i figured it might be beneficial to have a home base (comfort zones, man!) I also need to update my 5 year old resume into three different styles that suit the different industries i plan to work for (they just got to be difficult, don't they? Why isn't "one resume fits all"?) and then further modify them for either online, electronic or snail delivery. I might even use the extra time, limited funds permitting, to do a few small courses that increase my employability. First aid stuff and the like. And that, in a nutshell, is my career situation at the moment. I'll let you know what i decide to do.

The other recent event of some significance is the end of my bank loan on my car. For four years, Wan- sorry, BankWest has Fee Fi Fo'd money out of my account to the tune of about 10% of the loan amount of 20000. And i'm not talking interest. That money is in fees alone. Granted, most of the time the exorbitantly high penalties were my fault, but there were instances where their ingeniously designed client unfriendly software was to blame. Like the time i accidentally deposited a repayment directly into my loan account instead of the account automated payments are deducted from. "No, i'm sorry Mr Sever, we can't withdraw that deposit for you. I'm sorry that you don't have any money to cover another full payment so that we don't screw you to the tune of $50. Yes, Mr Sever, we can cancel that payment for you. It'll cost you $50." When i made the final repayment, i was pretty satisfied with myself, but i should've known better. Apparently their software only detects zero as an absolute when it means they can charge you money for it. (Like the numerous occasions when my non-overdraw savings account was -$0.xx for four days because they extracted a six monthly fee i hadn't anticipated meaning they can charge me $40 for it.) When my loan account reached zero (hooferkinray!) it didn't mean that they stopped taking money from me. It meant that they'd take money from me that i didn't have, to pay a debt that i didn't owe and charge me $50 for the priveledge. My loan account reached three digits into positive figures (something i thought not possible) because i didn't tell them they could stop taking my money. I told them on the phone, they told me i had to do it in writing. I told them in writing, they told me i sent it to the wrong department. I abused them on the phone, and it worked, but they still wouldn't refund the fee they had no right to extract. Granted, i'm sure there was small print putting me clearly in the wrong, but we're talking software here and computers can't fudge ones and zeros unless the programmer wants them to. Basically, i'm a customer and their banking system favours only the bank. No "referee" decisions on grey areas favour the customer because it means they can't post their record annual profits and share price figures. If anyone reading this is a holder of said shares, i'd be really happy if you took that profit, drive down to your local corner, and buy yourself some five fingered relief. Or better yet, drive down to BankWest and get them to do it for you, 'cos they do it Best.

It's not all happiness now that the car is 100% mine. Not 4-8 days after the final payment was made, some bastard put a dent in the passenger side door. I say 4-8 because i really have no idea when or where exactly it happened. My dad and my workmate noticed it on a monday, but neither decided to ask me about it 'til friday, and by then the trail was cold. It's probably $1200 worth of damage and i have no insurance to cover it. It doesn't impede the door at all so it'll probably stay like that for a while, but it's a pain 'cos i was hoping to sell it before the year was done. Oh well.
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 05:46 AM   #2
wellard
Dracolisk

Wow Sever you are at a crossroads in life. The bank thing is small shit compared to the future choices you will make though you have learned a valuble lesson in dealing with wan...banks [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img] forget about that and look forward

Anyhow I can't offer advice on the best job but be prepared to move. Do not sign any leases or make commitments, if they are not happy with a fortnight by fortnight rental agreement then move or shack up with a mate for a while. Dont let the small stuff get on top of you (easier said than done) send of those aplcations to several places and do research on the company before jumping. I wish you well mate, keep us all informed, I for one have my fingers crossed [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 11:20 PM   #3
wellard
Dracolisk

BTW Sever you never mentioned what car, Holden or Fu-ford. If its ford then your beyond help [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img]
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 01:46 AM   #4
Sever

It's a 5.0L '96 model dunny-dore, mate. Holden all the way.

Thanks for the advice wellard ol' mate. I've decided to go in the mining direction and think i'll sign up for a few shut-downs before i go for something permanent. Shut-downs are good because they only last for a week or two, pay good money and give me a chance to see a bit more of the state. There's also job "intel" to be had from gossip with all the shut-down regulars.
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Old 10-31-2006, 02:09 AM   #5
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

I hear you Sever, I am finally going to complete my Uni Degree within 3 weeks (cross fingers). So now I am at a complete loss on what to do. I was hoping to find a job but its the same draws a complete blank on what I can do since Marketing Major is fairly general business degree in. I mean all business (or very nearly) requires some form of marketing or another. So I am in a cross roads myslef and hoping not to make a wrong choice.

I do have faith that God will lay a path for me to take the road in, but I have to find that path first

Catch me if you can..
Harkoliar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 05:23 AM   #6
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Well seeing as your a Holden fan, i'm not gonna bother giving you any quality advice

Anyways, what side of engineering are you interested in? Engineering is a pretty broad subject and you have many places to go with it.

From my point of view, I think the mining industry is the way to go for someone who needs direction. If anything it will provide a nice income (Especially in WA) while you try and get your feet on the ground and make sense of it all.

I work in IT at a mine and already I know exactly where I want to be in 5-10 years and the company is ready to pay for me to get there.

EDIT: BTW, i'm still only 19 so I have a very big head start in life.

Anyways, Sever, I know you are an intelligent person (Well from what I can see from your posts [img]smile.gif[/img] ) so i'm sure you will have no trouble sorting your stuff out.

[ 10-31-2006, 05:25 AM: Message edited by: Hivetyrant ]
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 05:22 AM   #7
Sever

Thanks guys. What area of engineering? A boilermaker's ticket is the qualification i have currently but what really interests me is the advanced welding codes and the triple digit hourly rates that go with them [img]graemlins/showoff.gif[/img] . Offshore and underwater welding being the highest that i've set my sights on so far, but that's a few years away at my best pace.

Just got back from an interview in Perth. Doing a piss test tomorrow and, pending the results, will be heading up north on the 13th.

You've mentioned your job before, HT, but for some reason i keep imagining you as being older than 19. (must be all that maturity in your post and stuff [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) Either way, you've obviously benefited from clarity of direction which is rare among most people i know and something that's to be commended. I, on the other hand, kinda fell into this job after i finished year 12 and only decided to get my qualification 2 years ago when the industry went boom. I managed to shave 2 years off the term, but i still can't help but wonder where i'd be now if i had've started 9 years ago. [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo