Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2004, 08:45 AM   #11
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally posted by Moon-Child_Lman:
Can you have an animal companion and a henchmen at the same time? And how long does do animal companion last? Untill it dies?
AFAIK: 1. yes 2. yes but when it dies (or is unsummoned) you can summon it again the next day.
Old 09-30-2004, 11:21 AM   #12
Moon-Child_Lman
Drow Warrior

Hmmm then you can only summon an animal companion and it isn't forevor like a henchman, ehhh? And is a Ranger/Cleric/Rogue combination possible?
Old 09-30-2004, 12:10 PM   #13
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally posted by Moon-Child_Lman:
Hmmm then you can only summon an animal companion and it isn't forevor like a henchman, ehhh? And is a Ranger/Cleric/Rogue combination possible?
Yes but after you summon it it lasts forever (unless killed) so is just like a henchman who also lasts forever untill killed.... only while henchman gets resurrected automatically in temple of tyr you have to resummon the companion...

R/C/R combination is definately possible but without expansion I figured there are too little levels to spread about in 3 classes...
Old 09-30-2004, 03:56 PM   #14
Moon-Child_Lman
Drow Warrior

Well i do have both expansions. So that's it, i'm gonna try and level up Fighter/Cleric/Rogue and/or Ranger/Cleric/Rogue . Opinions?
Old 09-30-2004, 04:24 PM   #15
Stratos
Vampire

A few words of warning; when it comes to multiclassing spellcasters, your ability to punch through the spell resistance of your enemies, as well as the power and durarion of your spells(if those increases with levels) are based on the level of the class that castes the spell. In other words, a Cleric/Druid 20/20 will cast Cleric spells as if he was an lv. 20 Cleric, and NOT as a lv. 40 character. The ability to breach spell resistance and the duration and power of his Cleric spell will be that of a lv. 20 Cleric. The same goes for the Druid spells.

Another thing to remember is that all spellcasting characters have their own spell list, and they can't be combined with others. The Cleric/Druid will have one list for his Cleric spells, and one for his Druid spells.

[ 09-30-2004, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: Stratos ]
Old 09-30-2004, 04:45 PM   #16
Stratos
Vampire

I usually only play with two classes when I multiclass. The Ranger/Cleric/Rogue and Fighter/Cleric/Rogue are all combination that works, but remember the more you spread out your abilities, the worse you'll be at each one of them. Also, everyone can open locks and disarm traps and other roguish stuff by putting skill points into the skills, they just wont be as good as Rogues. And only Rogues can disarm traps and pick locks with a DC of 35 or higher.

When I look at the class combinations, the first thing that struck me was potential experience penalty. When you have two classes and they are more than two levels apart, and none of them is the Favoured Class of the race you're playing, you'll get a 20% experience penalty. Prestige Classes (Dwarven Defender, Shadowdancer etc.) doesn't count for this penalty. Further, both humans and half-elves have Favoured Class:Any which means that they'll never get a xp penalty as long as they stick to only two classes.

An example: You play an elven Fighter/Rogue 10/5. This class combination will give you the xp penalty because the classes are more than two levels apart, and neither the Fighter nor the Rogue is the Favoured Class of elves (which is Wizard). If the same character was an halfling instead, you wouldn't get a xp penalty since Rogue is the Favoured Class of halflings. A human or half-elf would also be OK since the have Favoured Class:Any, the class with the highest level is automatically conted as their Favoured Class. A Fighter/Weapon Master 10/5 wouldn't get a xp penalty either, regardless of his race, since Prestige Classes don't give xp penalties.

Now, if you combine three classes then things get's a bit more difficult, even for humans and half-elves.

[ 09-30-2004, 04:48 PM: Message edited by: Stratos ]
Old 09-30-2004, 06:33 PM   #17
ScottG
Drow Warrior

1st off..

I've never thought the ranger was much of a character in NWN's (much better for PnP). Really the class here is nothing more than a hobbled Fighter with an animal companion and a pitiful bonus for a few racial monsters.

2nd

Stratos is right on about the class level with spells vs. saves. However you also need to consider the characters modifier with their class attribute (i.e. Wisdom for Clerics and Druids). Strangely though - Both Clerics and Druids seem to be effective offensivly spell-wise a 3rd of the time no matter what with a Class of 18 levels or more, so it isn't as important as it seems for these two classes. (It is however crucial with many of the offensive spells for Sorcerors and Wizards.)

3rd..

Best is an illusive description because there are SOOOOOooooooo many variables. The first is of course character level.. Whats the best at level 40 probably will not be the best at level 20. Then you start needing to look at variables including offense (can you hit the thing magically or physically), defense (can you defend against the magical or physical attack), and enviorement (i.e. wildmagic or null magic zones vs. normal magic zones).

4th..

As far as the tri class route you desire - I'd do it like this:
1. Rogue (this will give you the extra skill points)
2. Fighter (the fighter levels will give you the ability to choose weapon specilization in whatever weapon you choose)
3. Fighter
4. Fighter
5. Fighter
6. Cleric
The rest is up to you..
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 02:04 AM   #18
Moon-Child_Lman
Drow Warrior

What is the difference between a Fighter and a Ranger? I was considering not to be a Rogue anymore, but now i remember that it gives you extra skill points, saving throws, Evasion, Great Evasion, etc.
Old 10-01-2004, 03:03 AM   #19
Stratos
Vampire

A Fighter get's to choose an extra combat feat every second level in addition to those all classes get. He's also the only class that can pick the Weapon Specialization feat (+2 to AB and damage) and the Epic Weapon Specialization (+4 to AB and damage, IIRC). You can only get Epic WP if you have Hordes of the Underdark expansion pack. Fighters also start with all weapon proficiency feats except Exotic Weapon, all armour proficieny feats and shield proficiency.

A Ranger get's the following:
*Dual-wield feat, only works in light armour.
*More skills and skill points than Fighters.
*An animal companion at lv. 6.
*Some minor spellcasting later on.
*Improved Two-Weapon fighting feat at lv. 9.
*Favoured Enemy, more damage against a certain type of enemies. You can choose an additional favoured enemy every fourth level.
*All weapon, armour and shield proficiency the Fighter get's, except heavy armour.
*At epic levels you can get the Bane of Enemies feat. You'll do an extra 2d6 points of damaege against all your favoured enemies with any weapon.

A Ranger is a decent character, but you simply don't use much of the Ranger's skill much. All the Rangers I've played, I've multiclassed with a Rogue or Shadowdancer. Both those classes improves the Ranger alot.
Old 10-01-2004, 06:44 AM   #20
Moon-Child_Lman
Drow Warrior

Well, thanks. I guess i'm gonna go with 2 characters F/C/Ro and Ra/C/Ro and level them up equaly in each class.