Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2002, 10:01 AM   #1
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

I'm playing a fighter but found out I definately need some rogue abilities.

My character is currently a lvl 3 fighter/lvl 1 rogue, and it's time to level up again. Is another level of rogue focusing on detecting/removing traps and picking locks worth it? What's a good balance.

I know I can carry a thief with me as my hireling, but I'd prefer a spellcaster.

Suggestions?
Old 09-17-2002, 10:07 AM   #2
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Well, as a rouge, you will need to be able to beat the DC 25 for searching and disarming traps, and there are some out there that has a very high DC.

If you level up now, you are probably going to gain another rouge level again, since at 3 level rouge you get 2D6 sneak attack, and thoose are easily triggered in NWN, and you get the use magic item as well..

Go for Rouge and also.. donīt forget your search skill!

Donīt eat the yellow snow
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 10:22 AM   #3
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by WOLFGIR:
Well, as a rouge, you will need to be able to beat the DC 25 for searching and disarming traps, and there are some out there that has a very high DC.

If you level up now, you are probably going to gain another rouge level again, since at 3 level rouge you get 2D6 sneak attack, and thoose are easily triggered in NWN, and you get the use magic item as well..

Go for Rouge and also.. donīt forget your search skill!
Thanks Wolf!

Just to make sure I understand your hint, if I'm going to continue as a fighter (I don't want to become a rogue, I just want enough abilities to help) another 2 levels of rogue will be the best balance?
Old 09-17-2002, 10:27 AM   #4
WOLFGIR

Lets put it like this. It will cost you regardless since you have choosen one level of rouge already. (Lost the last extra attack) but if you make the best of your rouge levels you can take advantage of the sneak attacks and the avoiding to step into deadly traps all the time to compensate, and with magic item, you can use magic items and scrolls without armour penalty.. Ainīt NWN nice??

I would either go for 3 levels of Rouge or perhaps even as high as to level 5 in rouge. I have one character currently level 9 fighter and level 5 rouge, and he is strutting around in his full plate +3 chopping heads and limbs and making dragons into handbags for sell

Old 09-17-2002, 10:32 AM   #5
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

That sounds mighty fine!

[ 09-17-2002, 10:48 AM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]
Old 09-17-2002, 04:36 PM   #6
WOLFGIR

Sorry, made one faulty reply there. You will recieve your last extra attack at a base attack bonus enough to get it as rouge lvl 5 but no more.

I didnīt add up the bonuses correctly... Solly!

Old 09-19-2002, 07:12 AM   #7
Whailor

I personally don't like "mixed" classes. They are OK, I don't mind them, but I personally play only "straight" classes [img]smile.gif[/img] Not to mention that as a fighter, you can bash most of the doors or chests in, you have the HP to take the whack from the trap, and to discover the traps you don't need very much - my warrior finds traps pretty well (Watchman's Helm is on + good stats). I may not be able to disarm these, but I can circle around them.

Not to mention that getting few levels of rogue stuff may cost me some fighter related traits, and I don't want to lose these, even if I get some rogue ones in return [img]smile.gif[/img]

And yes, finally, there are places/chests what I can't bash open, guess I'll let Tomi to do some work then. I didn't hire him just to travel with me, I'd get some girl in that case [img]smile.gif[/img] But if your fighter/rogue is working out well, good luck then, never hurts to have some different abilities.
Old 09-19-2002, 04:33 PM   #8
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

My original idea was to go straight class, then I thought about some minor multi-action. I can see the advantages of both. And plan on playing it both ways, several times [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-19-2002, 05:24 PM   #9
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

I just finished the SP game as Ranger (10) Rogue (3) Fighter (3). It seemed to work out fine for me [img]smile.gif[/img]

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 05:43 PM   #10
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

straight... ranger... I need my +5 bonus against dragons [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Calaethis Dragonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote