Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2001, 03:10 PM   #1
Darkman

What is your favorite Forgotten Realms author and why?
Old 11-30-2001, 04:37 PM   #2
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Elaine Cunningham = Supreme knowledge of elven-kind and very nice to chat with online.

Troy Denning = The leader in well written, detailed, perfect stories.

Both of these also add humor to their works. It makes for a fun read as well as an educated, worth my time, highly exciting book collection
Old 11-30-2001, 04:48 PM   #3
Encard
Quintesson

R.A Salvatore: great story, great battle descriptions, I like the character (<-- important), etc...

Ed Greenwood (#2): Good stoies, and I just like Elminster... crazed, super-powerful mages are great, no matter what some may say about them being too powerful and unkillable! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Encard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2001, 06:59 PM   #4
Darkman

R.A. Salvatore is probably my favorite Forgotten Realms author, but his books tend to follow the same generica formula, which makes them less exciting than they could be (this could be more of the publisher's fault). His Dark Elf Trilogy was absolutely excellent though. I have only read one book by Elaine Cunningham, but I will be sure to read some more over winter break.

Anyone else? [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-09-2001, 06:51 PM   #5
Morgan_Corbesant
Symbol of Cyric

i agree with bob salvatore, that man is a genius when it comes to his characters in my opinion. Drizzt, Artemis Entreri, and Jarlaxle are just plain awesome characters. [img]graemlins/ninja.gif[/img]
Morgan Corbesant, Elven BladeSinger, Captain of the army of the Seldarine<br /><br /> [img]\"http://www.rleeermey.com/images/linkbanners/usmcredwhiteblue.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />Protector of Elves<br />Slayer of Orcs<br /><br />ALL YOUR BASE, ARE BELONG TO US!!!<br />I DON\'T FIGHT FOR HONOR, I FIGHT TO WIN!<br />\"One who is a samurai must before all things keep constantly in mind, by day and by night...the fact that he has to die\". <br />-Daidoji Yuzan-<br />16th Century
Morgan_Corbesant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 01:45 PM   #6
Aurican
Elminster

Salvatore and Cunningham by far are the best FR writers. I'm sorry in advance to the Greenwood fan above, but I'm trying to read Elminster in Myth Drannor and I think its the worst FR book ever. Its very choppy and disjoined. I have never heard of so many voluptuous, naked elves in one place in my life!
Aurican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 03:40 AM   #7
Eldoran
Dungeon Master

I personally like Kate Novak & Jeff Grubb's work best... It just has the right feel for what I want out of those types of books. The stories are easy to read, yet still have good background.

They just have a good balance between more serious fantasy, and reading a D&D adventure... Also, I really liked how Finder's Bane and Tymora's Luck involved the planes and Sigil.
Eldoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 09:01 AM   #8
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Aurican:
Salvatore and Cunningham by far are the best FR writers. I'm sorry in advance to the Greenwood fan above, but I'm trying to read Elminster in Myth Drannor and I think its the worst FR book ever. Its very choppy and disjoined. I have never heard of so many voluptuous, naked elves in one place in my life!<hr></blockquote>

Uhoh you mentioned ed greenwood and naked in the same sentence. A ranting genie will descend upon this thread in the near future
AzureWolf is offline   Reply With Quote