Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2003, 09:40 AM   #11
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Melb_Wiz:
One tip I could use ... given these annoyances - why do you play W&W, rather than moving to a different RPG? There's no sarcasm there - I'm honestly interested - I might be missing something, or maybe I haven't reached the best parts yet...
Like Willow, I can only answer for myself.

I play games to relax (I'm a technical consultant and developer in the daytime). I've played a number of different games, and in fact, am working on an MM6 game right now (go peasants!).

There are two primary things I like about this game. First, the overall flexibility -- any party is a good party, but some are more challenging than others. From a full six-character party down to a solo warrior or rogue, you can play and win with anything -- but some games are more challenging than others. I enjoy that with other games too -- I've played MM9, for example, with an all-might party to see how it would go. Once you know the game, part of the fun involves the variations.

Second thing, corny as it may seem, is this board. When I started playing Divine Divinity, I went to the official boards and it seemed that most folks there enjoyed slamming and putting down the newbies. "How dare you ask that question?!?!?" thundered the rat god. "It's clearly been asked and answered on page 317, post 23. Try reading first next time, worm!"

We don't do that here, as you've noticed. Even though you may be the 2,136th person to ask about getting stuck in the tunnel, you get helpful answers (and sometimes, lots of 'em [img]smile.gif[/img] ). It's a fun place to be, and sharing your experiences with people who can appreciate them. Try explaining how frustrating it is to chase Mekdawa to one of your co-workers. Unless they played, they really won't get the depths of your frustrations

So, two things: the game itself, and the people here. That makes it worth replaying, and my next game, just to be difficult, will probably be a solo rogue, using only cursed equipment. At least, that's what I'm thinking now...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 12:28 PM   #12
So So
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Melb_Wiz:

One tip I could use ... given these annoyances - why do you play W&W, rather than moving to a different RPG? There's no sarcasm there - I'm honestly interested - I might be missing something, or maybe I haven't reached the best parts yet...

Like Willow and Bungleau, I can only answer for myself.
I play the game because of the flexibilty of the game itself. For example, I also play the game Diablo II by Blizzard Entertainment and to say the least, once you choose a class you're stuck like that for your entire character life. Also, I also play because of this board. The people here are overwhelmingly kind and exceptionally helpful. Once in a while members here have problems or discover something new in the game, and I'm back in the world reverting to an old save file to experience something new. (For example....the Monkey Chute took me a while to find...)

From a programmer's point of view as well, the game could use a few more patches, but from a player's point of view there's a whole lot in this game.
Old 08-21-2003, 12:28 AM   #13
macoati
Manshoon

hmm... why I keep playing this game?

1) D. W. Bradley
2) It is one of the best games for character developement (with the Wizardry series close behind).
3) It's fun...EVERY time I play I learn something new...most games, one and done...this one you can play and play and play and STILL not get it all. I didn't find the Belfry until my 5th time through!
4) The ability to NOT do a quest if you desire.
I could keep going if you'd like [img]smile.gif[/img]

Now, as for the ultimate reason I actually played this game to begin with?

This board! I have not felt this welcome with "experts" on a forum EVER...and I've been playing CRPG's since...hmmm... Questar for the Apple IIe (gee, hope I didn't date myself too much there ) I was not able to play after initially installing...period. One post from me...27 replies inside of 48 hours! The first reply fixed my initial problem...the other 26 contained fixes for future problems plus welcomes and well-wishes. I believe my next actual question post was about either what new vid card to get or the classic "I can't find the lock".
Old 08-21-2003, 05:48 AM   #14
Melb_Wiz
Elite Waterdeep Guard

They are some good points, and you're certainly right on the Forum. If I'd asked equivalent questions on other games' boards, I don't think my ISP would forgive my for the flaming I'd receive...
(If I consider the "maturity" of the Diablo "community", by comparison ... well, there is no comparison.)

I'll go back to playing - thanks for the tips.

Melb_Wiz.
P.S. Apologies if this double-posts. My browser crashed while posting, and I don't -think- the previous posting arrived...
Melb_Wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 07:51 AM   #15
LiOnHe@rT
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
And LiOnHe@rT, what's with my words? I'm curious, is all. Unless you're referring to the flushing, which I hope happens with many of my problems [img]graemlins/toilet.gif[/img]
i was referring to ur sentence "need some fresh mea- erm i mean........", i dun tink we should call any newcomers "fresh you-know-wat" right?
LiOnHe@rT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 08:12 AM   #16
Shimoda
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have not yet finished Wizard and Warriors so this is still my first time. I love the puzzles in the game that are placed in a manner that actually serves a purpose and not just placed at random.

What keeps pulling me back into the game is the voice narration in describing different areas. I don't really know any other game that offers this. I know there are some games that offer voice narration between chapters of the game but I really like the way Wizard and Warrior does it throughout the entire game itself. It reminds me of the D&D games over at someone house with a DM.

Does anyone know of any other game that offers voice narration? While this might be a small thing in the game it is too me what makes W&W stand out from other games I have played. I am thinking of playing some of DW Bradley's old games to see if he offers it there and I hope he continues it with his new game coming out. I have heard a lot of people comparing W&W to M&M, can I find it there as well?
Shimoda is offline   Reply With Quote